What is "Real" Hip Hop?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ya but really I think it just comes down to what each person defines as "real". Kids today, to them "real" is Lil Wayne or Eminem.

I love the 80's and 90's west coast rap even though I know most of those guys were never in a gang or any shit like that. Same thing for the east coast guys.

For me "real" comes down to the music that I think is real. Like someone rapping about everyday struggles. I can relate to that, so can 99% of the people on Earth. So that's why I think "real" rap is just that - real.

If you're a white kid from the suburbs and you're rapping about how your Dad bought you a blue Benz even though you wanted a red one, I can't relate to that but at least you're being honest. But don't front and pretend you're struggling unless you're joking.

As for the 80's and 90's stuff I'm into, well even if those guys are lying through their teeth about their lives, it's weird because in a way I still dig it (probably because I'm used to hearing about everyday struggles in rap at this point), and the music is just GOOD. But if they're not "real" as I define it, I know they're not but I still dig their music.

So I guess that's what applies to today's music. People know these artists aren't living in mansions and all that, but they want to hear about the money, cars, and women. There's nothing wrong with that and I think I would probably get into it too, but the big difference for me is the music. I don't care who you are, if your music is wack then I'm not feeling it. Lil Wayne is pure garbage because his music sucks and so do his lyrics and delivery, plain and simple.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
EH? wtf? Yeah there are crazy people out there generally they are not rappers, and of course they are human, I dont see any flaw in my argument, in fact I dont understand that question at all.
There are crazy people doing life sentences right now for talking on record for what they did in real life.

Someone who dismembers humans, will see horrorcore hiphop as real. Meaning your definition will conflict with someone elses.

My definition is based on the fact that we exist in a world were we honestly cant prove fact or fiction what is real. Your arguement boils down to, "its real (to me), so its real hip hop". Which will NOT be percieved the same by everyone.

Which is the only true answer. "Real" Hip Hop is judged on a case by case basis. Its all opinion. I personally dont believe in "real" hiphop. It is or it isnt. This thread will go on forever with no real definite conclusion (maybe a consensus tho).

Someone who dismembers humans, will see horrorcore hiphop as real. Meaning your definition will conflict with someone elses.

The person listening might see it as real, but what they perceive of it doesnt make it real.
The reality comes from if thats what the artist is doing.

Some people get inspired by horror films to go out and kill someone, does that make the horror film real? Of course not.
The news we are fed full of lies and propaganda, loads of people perceive that as real, does that make it real? Hell no.
A persons perception of the art isnt what makes it real. If its a true story then its real, pure and simple.

The sky is blue, thats real.
The sea is full of fish, thats real.
Facts are real. Lies are not.

Now what is all about perception and opinion is whats good and whats not, but thats something else completely.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Ya but really I think it just comes down to what each person defines as "real". Kids today, to them "real" is Lil Wayne or Eminem.

I love the 80's and 90's west coast rap even though I know most of those guys were never in a gang or any shit like that. Same thing for the east coast guys.

For me "real" comes down to the music that I think is real. Like someone rapping about everyday struggles. I can relate to that, so can 99% of the people on Earth. So that's why I think "real" rap is just that - real.

If you're a white kid from the suburbs and you're rapping about how your Dad bought you a blue Benz even though you wanted a red one, I can't relate to that but at least you're being honest. But don't front and pretend you're struggling unless you're joking.

As for the 80's and 90's stuff I'm into, well even if those guys are lying through their teeth about their lives, it's weird because in a way I still dig it (probably because I'm used to hearing about everyday struggles in rap at this point), and the music is just GOOD. But if they're not "real" as I define it, I know they're not but I still dig their music.

So I guess that's what applies to today's music. People know these artists aren't living in mansions and all that, but they want to hear about the money, cars, and women. There's nothing wrong with that and I think I would probably get into it too, but the big difference for me is the music. I don't care who you are, if your music is wack then I'm not feeling it. Lil Wayne is pure garbage because his music sucks and so do his lyrics and delivery, plain and simple.

Just because they arent real doesnt mean the subject matter isnt. The production is whole 'nother convo lol

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
There are many emcees & co that are actually from a middle or even upper class background, yet "we" respect them because their music is/was so dope. Just a few examples:

-Gangstarr (Guru's father was the first black judge in Boston; DJ Premier's dad was the dean of texas prairie view A&M University.)
-Ice Cube
-Ice T
-Common
-Rakim
-Run DMC

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
The person listening might see it as real, but what they perceive of it doesnt make it real.
The reality comes from if thats what the artist is doing.

Some people get inspired by horror films to go out and kill someone, does that make the horror film real? Of course not.
The news we are fed full of lies and propaganda, loads of people perceive that as real, does that make it real? Hell no.
A persons perception of the art isnt what makes it real. If its a true story then its real, pure and simple.

The sky is blue, thats real.
The sea is full of fish, thats real.
Facts are real. Lies are not.

Now what is all about perception and opinion is whats good and whats not, but thats something else completely.

That movie becomes real the second someone goes out and makes it real. Lies become real as soon as everyone believes it. Have you read Orwell 1984 (If I got the name right) It hadles that question.

The sky isnt blue, its clear, blue is a reflection of how our eyes percieve light.

The sea is full of fish as best we can tell through interactions and our senses. You have yet to disprove what Im saying though.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
There are many emcees & co that are actually from a middle or even upper class background, yet "we" respect them because their music is/was so dope. Just a few examples:

-Gangstarr (Guru's father was the first black judge in Boston; DJ Premier's dad was the dean of texas prairie view A&M University.)
-Ice Cube
-Ice T
-Common
-Rakim
-Run DMC

I did not know that!

-Ice Cube
-Ice T
-Common
-Rakim
-Run DMC

Lol at Ice T, the cop killer who now plays cops on TV and in movies.
How is that real?
I already mentioned Icecube.

That movie becomes real the second someone goes out and makes it real. Lies become real as soon as everyone believes it. Have you read Orwell 1984 (If I got the name right) It hadles that question.

The sky isnt blue, its clear, blue is a reflection of how our eyes percieve light.

The sea is full of fish as best we can tell through interactions and our senses. You have yet to disprove what Im saying though.

*Bangs head against the wall*

Most people believed saddam had weapons of mass destruction, just because they beleived it didnt make it true. We now know it wasnt true.
Ok the colour of the sky is perception, but you cant tell me the sea aint got fish in it.
Shit stinks cant tell me that aint true.
Smoking is bad for you, cant deny that one.
Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger is a sure way to kill yourself.
If someone believed they could survive it does that make it true, of course not.
What people believe has nothing to do with what is really true.
What people percieve has nothing to do with truth.
Whats true is what can be proven.
The whole basis of science is based on what can be proven.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
real hiphop; some mc spitting his guts out while you headnod over the beat.

People still dropping mad tunes but dont cry about it if you dont dig into allllll the stuff thats out there. The next gen is always up for discussion and the way i see it, is that next gen is prohibited from skills heard in the 80's/90's . The way major's work these days works on a faster pace, every thing put out is consumed to fast for it to have a long-term revenue. While back when everything was new it was those with the best delivery that got the best airplay and nothing really sucked as much like those club bangers these days (and yowtfskinnyjeanspinkshitvondouchestylefagots)

Kids are the same, like said here before, if you would be 16 in this era, you'd eat and breath lil' something and watch it alll day on mtv or what not. To us (or at least some of us) at that age, we'd be watching/taping Yo!. The real difference is the quality between that golden era and the current in regards to whats being aired. I think its safe to say that for the most, all tracks on mtv were just good hiphop tracks with solid mc's and solid beats. These days its not as much about skills, and making revenue from an artist for his skills is expensive, opposed to some random lil "dumbnamehere" that has 1 club hit then never to be heard from again.

Good shit is still here though, fellas just need to turn of your tele :)
*flips el da sensei @ the returners

btw, philosophy and hiphop dont go hand in hand

" so you think you're looking at a tree, but is it really?! "

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
btw, philosophy and hiphop dont go hand in hand

" so you think you're looking at a tree, but is it really?! "

But they do work together. Which is all that matters.

You don't walk out in front of a car because you know that car is real. You know that the damage it will do to you is real.

You know there will be consequences. Just like there are consequences for getting run over in a video game. But real? We dont know. Like I said we will never know as we experience life only through our senses.

In order to disprove anything Ive said, you must prove whats "real". And seeing as no one here has died and experienced a spirit world where you know all the secrets to existence, you wont. And Im starting to repeat myself, which makes me bored. I'll stop responding if yalls arguments dont get better. :)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
THAT is HIP HOP. In ANY case.

You would think so, but a lot of "rappers" dont even spit these days and "clubbangers" dont make headnod. None of that gets airplay, instead you get some random dude making a lot of show which gets picked up by the next gen. Its their example of how hiphop should sound like, imo, next gen gets dumbed down since noone have any skills whatsoever. Sure, we still have some folks that go around the mainstream tag but that only cool sometimes. Kids want to identify them selves with those "artist" with the biggest show. In our days those shows would be a blockparty, the dj, the artist and some funny features, nothing fancy at all was needed to get the product out.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Its not a matter of proving anything, you've been told, if you choose to not accept the definition of real then thats your choice.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
another cliche; hiphophead explaining issues with cars...like whenever possible

shit makes more sense without the hiphop style philosophy lol.

If you dig that stuff go read Kant's enlightment

members online