What is "Real" Hip Hop?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
There is a difference between exaggerating and "fronting" to all out blatantly lying.
Real has nothing to do with my perception, it has to do with the artist expressing their real life, not some imaginary one they wish they had, or dont wish they had but know thats whats going to make them money. Sacrificing the art for the money aka "Selling out". Hip hop has no integrity now, with many artists portraying themselves as clowns, to be pointed at and laughed at. Personally I find that sad.

Thats my point, some people ARE clowns, jokesters etc. Their music reflects that. They're keeping it real. Some people are two faced, fake, schitzophrenic etc thats what they do.

Another question, how do you feel about horrocore artists? Are they keeping it real? (Keep in mind Fade fits in there too)

Thats my point, some people ARE clowns, jokesters etc. Their music reflects that. They're keeping it real. Some people are two faced, fake, schitzophrenic etc thats what they do.

Another question, how do you feel about horrocore artists? Are they keeping it real? (Keep in mind Fade fits in there too)

Of course not. Thats a silly question, horrorcore doesnt and never has come under the category of real hip hop. If it did, every one of them would be locked up for mass murder.
Its never claimed to be real, theres the difference. Its not claiming to be something its not.

Heres a question to you, are you assuming that Im saying that anything not "real hip hop" isnt hip hop?

I would like to add that Im not the "real hip hop" police, I just understand the definition, Im just trying to share that understanding, because like many kids today think that rap="real hip hop" and hip hop="everything else". Whereas rap is just an element of hip hop.

Its really not a hard concept, I dont get the misunderstanding.
"Real" hip hop="Real life" hip hop. Thats it, end of story, it doesnt get any more complicated than that. If it aint real, its fake, there are only two sides to the coin.

Its like these days with all the misunderstanding of hip hops core principles, "real hip hop" has been redefined as "anything with a 90's NY style sampled beat and a golden era sound" thats just wrong.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Heres a question to you, are you assuming that Im saying that anything not "real hip hop" isnt hip hop?

No, I wanted you or anyone else to define real.

Its like these days with all the misunderstanding of hip hops core principles, "real hip hop" has been redefined as "anything with a 90's NY style sampled beat and a golden era sound" thats just wrong.

This is a good destinction.

The term "real" hip hop makes no sense the more its used. How can you say whats real, and who's honest? You arent them, and you cant judge them by marketing schemes (They HAVE to hype themselves up. whether their story is real or not, you never truly know)

So how many real hiphop records have yall listened to, and you've come to learn it was fake? Do you strip it of its title??

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
@DOX - How someone perceives something doesn't make it real, real is fact and doesn't depend on a persons senses where perception does.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Real is a point of view. I think it still boils down to opinion and location when talking about "real". I've learned to get away from the whole "real" label and accept that Lil Wayne/Ross/Wiz,,etc are Hip Hop. I call it wack Hip Hop. Just as there is no underground or commercial anymore. Not since the invention of online marketing. How is there an underground? I shared the stage wit some cats who emulate what is out there now, not feelin their music, but they are cool as shit and guess what, they are Hip Hop. As a culture we need to stop labeling things and come together regardless of styles of Hip Hop. I never liked West Coast Hip Hop in the 90's but I wouldn't say it wasn't "real".

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
@DOX - How someone perceives something doesn't make it real, real is fact and doesn't depend on a persons senses where perception does.

How do you figure? The fact is everyone on earth has a different reality, we all see life differently, its our individual experiences that make up our realities. Someone that is dope to you is wack to others. Some liquor is strong for some weak for others. Democrats, republicans, Christians, satanists. All these view points exist because it is real to someone. The mere fact we are having this convo, the reason this country is great is our differences and those differences in how we experience the world around us.
Is life its self real? How do you know? because your senses.
If your senses are being tricked (ala Matrix or such) how can you say ANYTHING you experience is real?

The only logical and rational explanation we can come to is real is what we individually perceive, and that everyone will interpret their existence differently. And, Hip Hop, as an art full of flawed human with eyes, ears, and unique minds, is not immune to this.

Real is a point of view. I think it still boils down to opinion and location when talking about "real". I've learned to get away from the whole "real" label and accept that Lil Wayne/Ross/Wiz,,etc are Hip Hop. I call it wack Hip Hop. Just as there is no underground or commercial anymore. Not since the invention of online marketing. How is there an underground? I shared the stage wit some cats who emulate what is out there now, not feelin their music, but they are cool as shit and guess what, they are Hip Hop. As a culture we need to stop labeling things and come together regardless of styles of Hip Hop. I never liked West Coast Hip Hop in the 90's but I wouldn't say it wasn't "real".

Thank you *Dox Likes This*

Yes, because if its fake, its not real.

Ok, name some fake hip hop lol

edit: Im not even gonna wait for a response. Things are either hip hop or its not. Its wack or good. It can be hip hop influenced but it needs to be said, there is no such thing as real hiphop. There hiphop you connect with, Hip Hop you dont, and theres other genres

Is life its self real?

Haha, I like this, cos its true, life isnt real its just an illusion, atoms are full of empty space and the universe is made of atoms, nothing is real.

Ok, name some fake hip hop lol

edit: Im not even gonna wait for a response. Things are either hip hop or its not. Its wack or good. It can be hip hop influenced but it needs to be said, there is no such thing as real hiphop. There hiphop you connect with, Hip Hop you dont, and theres other genres

I disagree, yes things are either hip hop or not, I agree with that.
And things are either real hip hop or not, like I said, if they are spitting about their real life then thats real hip hop, the definition has been blurred over time with misunderstanding, like most of the principles that hip hop was founded on.
Just because something isnt real hip hop it doesnt mean its not hip hop.
Like horrorcore, thats hip hop, just not "real" hip hop. Most of the gangsta rap that comes out isnt real hip hop, like NWA, if they did half the shit they spat they would be doing life. Hip hop has many faces, real hip hop is just one of them.
There have been gansta rappers that spat real shit, and they ended up getting locked up for "admitting it" on record.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Ok, I see. Its not real to you, or the typical american image. Then yes, but there are people that would call horrorcore hiphop "real".

Just like smoker's hiphop isnt real to me. Its hip hop and I understand people identify with it.

But if you walk up to most people from even NWA's day, and you say NWA isnt real hiphop, you could get hurt lol Like I said, real is an opinion/perspective, everyone will have their own definition. The only clear definition is Good music and High Quality music. As, all music has a purpose, and good and bad are also, opinions.

So to answer the OP, Real Hip Hop = The definition of the genre of hip hop

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Ok, I see. Its not real to you, or the typical american image. Then yes, but there are people that would call horrorcore hiphop "real".

What people think and whats true are two different things. Anyone that thinks horrorcore is real must be backwards. Sorry but thats just the truth. I listened to Getto Boys back in the day, I knew it wasnt real, I didnt think it was real. I thought NWA was, but then I grew to realise it wasnt, they were playing roles...just like Icecube is playing roles in kids movies now.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
What people think and whats true are two different things. Anyone that thinks horrorcore is real must be backwards. Sorry but thats just the truth. I listened to Getto Boys back in the day, I knew it wasnt real, I didnt think it was real. I thought NWA was, but then I grew to realise it wasnt, they were playing roles...just like Icecube is playing roles in kids movies now.

There ARE crazy people out there. Do you not count them as humans? Are they not real? Do you see the flaws in your argument?

(See my "What is real" arguement a few comments earlier. Already addressed the rest.)

Vanilla Ice was pop. Hip Hop influenced. Hip Pop pioneers, but not Hip Hop

Of course Vanilla Ice was hip hop, he was hip hop long before he went pop.
He just did then what Jay Z, Kanye, Lil Wayne etc etc are doing now. So by your definition then Jay Z isnt hip hop, Kanye isnt hip hop, and neither is Lil Wayne.
Of course they are hip hop.
Only when he did it it was frowned upon, oh surprise surprise it still is. But its more acceptable now. The thing with Vanilla Ice is, he knew he was compromising himself and selling out, he never tried to deny it, he admitted it, he took the money and run, and got rich.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
There ARE crazy people out there. Do you not count them as humans? Are they not real? Do you see the flaws in your argument?

(See my "What is real" arguement a few comments earlier. Already addressed the rest.)

EH? wtf? Yeah there are crazy people out there generally they are not rappers, and of course they are human, I dont see any flaw in my argument, in fact I dont understand that question at all.
There are crazy people doing life sentences right now for talking on record for what they did in real life.

I think I understand where the confusion lies.
There needs to be a distinction between
whats "real" hip hop...."real life shit"
and
whats "really" hip hop - emceeing, djing, breaking, graffiti, beatboxing.