What is "Real" Hip Hop?

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
U guys are totally gay for the 90's....i used to be like you guys...in the 90's, lol, even had a backpack shun!

U guys are totally gay for the 90's....i used to be like you guys...in the 90's, lol, even had a backpack shun!

I had a backpack when I was at school. I cant stand Mos Def, not too hot on Talib Kweli. As for Lupe...Not really for me.
So what you saying?

I wasnt rocking Madlib or MF Doom in the 90's.
That backpacker bullshit is just another stereotype thrown around by people that enjoy shit like Gucci Mane, I dont know why, maybe because they just dont understand a deeper meaning to hip hop, maybe they feel inadequate because their music is made to appeal to 12 year olds, I really dont know. I cant say Im not in that position. I can just guess.
But that shit is just devisive, its all hip hop. Like stress said, we need to stop with the labels, cos honestly, like the first video I posted says, hip hop was about accepting everybody. It had no racial boundaries, it was about unity under a common banner.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Actually backpackers were real...anybody from up top will tell you...they were a lil different than the stereotypical nerd rap fan of this era though...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thats ur problem 2good you assume waaaaaaaay too much...

The answer is of course not...nerds werent pumping that shit!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
"real" hip hop is just another sub category in HIP HOP itself...just like "gangsta" rap, "crunk" music, "trap" music.

*correction*...bullshit hip hop is just another sub category in "REAL" HIP HOP itself...

lets not get it twisted, there maybe more bs hip hop nowadays but real was here first.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
We all gave our definitions and opinions on what "real" hip hop is and what it means and there really were no wrong answers, but at the end of the day it's just a certain type of hip hop people choose to listen to over another "style" of hip hop. If you're not into "real" hip hop and you don't listen to it then you can't know what it is and how it feels.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
*correction*...bullshit hip hop is just another sub category in "REAL" HIP HOP itself...

but Dac, how can Bullshit be apart of real? Why would you want Bullshit even categorized in the real?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
ok

5char

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
but Dac, how can Bullshit be apart of real? Why would you want Bullshit even categorized in the real?

If you can't define "real", an explanation would be useless...but I know that you can define "real" and I know that you also know the difference between "whats real to an individual" and "whats real from a universal standpoint". So, to answer your 1st question...how can bullshit be a part of real? - life is all about the ying yang effect, where there is good - there is evil, where there is true - there is false, where there is real - there is bullshit. question#2 Why would I want bs even cat. in the real? - I never said that I want bullshit categorized in the real, you said it in your question...:)

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Haha I can accept that, but as for the last part, you said BS hiphop was a sub category.

...I never said that I want bullshit categorized in the real, you said it in your question...:)

I presented the notion that if hip hop was bullshit or fake then it isnt hiphop. You didnt use that in your definition, so I have to assume that you either want BS hip hop under real hip hop, or You are making a distinction between "BS Hip Hop" and "Fake Hip Hop".

If you are making a distinction, then you should probably define the diference between Bullshit and Fake Hip Hop

Haha I can accept that, but as for the last part, you said BS hiphop was a sub category.

I presented the notion that if hip hop was bullshit or fake then it isnt hiphop. You didnt use that in your definition, so I have to assume that you either want BS hip hop under real hip hop, or You are making a distinction between "BS Hip Hop" and "Fake Hip Hop".

If you are making a distinction, then you should probably define the diference between Bullshit and Fake Hip Hop

lol, im not getting involved.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.

*notice the bold areas, see anything wrong with them?*

First I had to define "real", now I have to define "bullshit"? lol! No wait, maybe bs is a perspective as well...maybe real is bullshit and bullshit is real...hahaha. How about this...the red pill is bullshit and the blue pill is real.

2Good jump in man, DOX is like a little brother to me. We both grew up in the same area...he couldn't piss me off if he devoted his life to it, well maybe he could piss me off but it wouldn't go pass a "brotherly" like pissed off. ever, on my end!...:) and please don't ask me to define brotherly...hahaha

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
I want your opinion. So I wont have to assume. Does BS = Fake? simple question. No tricks

Edit: Everything I ask in this thread is for clarity. Im not trying to get you angry but I WILL test you, thoroughly. If you can stand the heat, with logical answers, you have my respect. If you dodge questions, everything you say will be iffy to me. Its just how I am.

Ironic I ask you to define "real" in a thread where you ask "What is "real" Hip Hop" right? lol

And double edit: We've disagreed or had debates before, I really dont expect you to get upset over a topic as small as this

members online