Beat This! Beat This! Competition - September 18-19, 2024

Congrats @TWU , that was dope and evn tho I voted @crog85 either could've won. It was a tough choice.

@K-waz that was sumthin else man ! I really loved it, it was unique, refreshing and dope af. Don't know why you haven't placed or anyone didn't mention you but that was freaking insane. I really liked it.

@Iron Keys oh so that was you with the reused drums... My memory lacks right now but was it only the stuttered hi-hats that was reused ? Still a dope beat too.
Thank you I appreciate that. I think a lot of time I don't place because "People" are more concern on my mix rather than the actually beat. If I really mix my beat 100% would I win... probably not. I can tell who still learning and trying and the ones who think they can mixing and they're missing small mixing techniques. If I would be technical on everybody's beat when it comes to mixing, bass or melody being in key it would be nobody winning a Beat This. Some comments on mixing tips be absolutely wrong and they shouldn't give advice when their own beat mixing be trash. I understand everybody on different levels and I wish when challenges take place that people stop swaying people votes by complaining about peoples mixes in the comments.

With great respect to @K-waz you reminded me I came to drop some,

K, you went overboard on whatever high/high mid boost you did. It's overly harsh and piercing, and the imaging feels a bit off too. I had to pull the plug on that track quick due to it. Nothing wrong with the beat but those piercing mids on the mix.
You're absolutely wrong... How can I go overbroad on anything when I didn't put highs on anything... Maybe you don't like my unmixed hat and crashes. I didn't put this beat in this comp to win just to place and I didn't get that :ROFLMAO: which is cool. I told you I don't mix my beats fully in here. When I did mix my beat in here 100% and won people didn't say shiiii and didn't tell me congrats. So I start making my beats sound like everyone else on here beats not fully mixed or not mixed at all. Now I get all the comments and subjection
Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I agree that it can get out of hand when people are focusing heavily on the mixing aspect. Remember what we've always had as the voting criteria: "What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!"

I've always listened to the mix when I consider my vote. I think mixing is an important part of submitting your beat to anything, not just battles. However, it should not be the only thing, or the most important thing either.

We can't have beats win that sound like shit. But we also can't have someone win with a shitty beat and an amazing mix. (That would be impressive though.) It's hard to judge any battle and I understand that everyone has their preferences, but just vote for what's dope. If the mix isn't 100% amazing, that's okay. Not everyone focuses heavily on their mixes when they upload a beat. I enjoy mixing my beats but I don't go nuts about it either. If it sounds good to me then I'm good. If others think that this part should be this and that should be that, well, we're not having a mixing contest. Criticism about the mix is fine but it shouldn't be something that decides your vote.

At the end of the day we're just here to battle and pick which beat is the best overall.

I agree that it can get out of hand when people are focusing heavily on the mixing aspect. Remember what we've always had as the voting criteria: "What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!"

I've always listened to the mix when I consider my vote. I think mixing is an important part of submitting your beat to anything, not just battles. However, it should not be the only thing, or the most important thing either.

We can't have beats win that sound like shit. But we also can't have someone win with a shitty beat and an amazing mix. (That would be impressive though.) It's hard to judge any battle and I understand that everyone has their preferences, but just vote for what's dope. If the mix isn't 100% amazing, that's okay. Not everyone focuses heavily on their mixes when they upload a beat. I enjoy mixing my beats but I don't go nuts about it either. If it sounds good to me then I'm good. If others think that this part should be this and that should be that, well, we're not having a mixing contest. Criticism about the mix is fine but it shouldn't be something that decides your vote.

At the end of the day we're just here to battle and pick which beat is the best overall.
That's true Fade but we have had people win with a not so great mix a lot. These people gets praised for what they lack. When you have good mixes on this site people either ignore you or they be out to get you and they try their best to not vote for you so you could lose. Man, if you win too much and your mixes are great you're the target. I wish people did follow that criteria.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's true Fade but we have had people win with a not so great mix a lot. These people gets praised for what they lack. When you have good mixes on this site people either ignore you or they be out to get you and they try their best to not vote for you so you could lose. Man, if you win too much and your mixes are great you're the target. I wish people did follow that criteria.
If that's true then there's nothing I can do. The battles are 100% anonymous for that reason. But you're making it out like there's a conspiracy on here when there isn't. I really don't believe that someone can sit there and be like "Ya that's probably K-waz's beat, I'm not voting for that shit". How would they even know you're competing when there's no names listed? For all they know you didn't enter that particular battle.

to a certain extent, I DO believe that if you showcase too much skills voters will be against you. no one likes a tryhard, and NO ONE likes someone who's trying to prove that they're more talented. especially in a community with such fragile egos, including mine. so the fact that you evolved towards half-assing your shit -or at least making it sound like you're half-assing- is pretty reasonable.

and I'm not blaming this place for that or imagining the concept is exclusive to the ill. it's like... there's a spectrum, on one end it's some goof who doesn't know shit about music, and on the other there's jacob collier. NO ONE likes a jacob collier. I'd suppose the key is to be as jacob collier as you can be, but act as kanye as possible. in other words, seem way dumber than you are.

on a side note, a made-up law I abide is to NEVER use professional terms in public. it's the biggest turn off for people. they want to imagine you as a mage, not a nerd. high end is "crisp". 9th chords are "maximalist". diminished 7ths are "kooky and gauche". compressors don't exist. heavy saturation is "present" or "huge" and even that wording is too smart. make it seem like it's magic and no one knows how it works. like YOU don't know how it works but you manage to create good stuff anyway. they don't have to know. the less they know the better.

speaking of the less they know the better, ig that's why tame impala gave himself a band name while he was making ALL the music. if people knew it's all kevin parker, they'd have realized "he thinks he's better than them" and they'd have hated him. but "Tame Impala" works just fine.

also there was this one quote from some hip hop producer I forgot that went something like "if you're not stevie wonder, gtf off the keys". that feels relevant here in a weird way.

You're absolutely wrong... How can I go overbroad on anything when I didn't put highs on anything... Maybe you don't like my unmixed hat and crashes. I didn't put this beat in this comp to win just to place and I didn't get that :ROFLMAO: which is cool. I told you I don't mix my beats fully in here. When I did mix my beat in here 100% and won people didn't say shiiii and didn't tell me congrats. So I start making my beats sound like everyone else on here beats not fully mixed or not mixed at all. Now I get all the comments and subjection
Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé
on the other hand it sucks if u won and didn't get a single congrats tho. happened to me too, it's a more annoying feeling than it seems from the outside.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 846
I havent been around in a while but it seems theres always some kinda controversy regarding these battles… I guess it’ll never end, but 1 thing to keep in mind is music is art… and art is subjective…

Nobody knows the intended purpose of the art except the artist… Maybe a beat is mixed in a certain way to convey a feeling or fit a vibe… or maybe the artist just likes the way it sounds… Just because you wouldnt mix a beat in the same manner doesnt mean its “wrong,” its art…

I think the best thing about these battles isnt how “good” each beat is, its more about how each beat connects with the listeners…

Also keep in mind most consumers of music dont create it… they know nothing about how its made, mixing, mastering, etc. They only know they like the way it sounds… just my 2 pennies…

Last edited:

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
I havent been around in a while but it seems theres always some kinda controversy regarding these battles… I guess it’ll never end, but 1 thing to keep in mind is music is art… and art is subjective…

Nobody knows the intended purpose of the art except the artist… Maybe a beat is mixed in a certain way to convey a feeling or fit a vibe… or maybe the artist just likes the way it sounds… Just because you wouldnt mix a beat in the same manner doesnt mean its “wrong,” its art…

I think the best thing about these battles isnt how “good” each beat is, its more about how each beat connects with the listeners…

Also keep in mind most consumers of music dont create it… they know nothing about how its made, mixing, mastering, etc. They only know they like the way it sounds… just my 2 pennies…

a legendary christmas preach GIF by NBC

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 593
i get that, but, I think Twu had one of the best mixes in this battle --- And I don't think bredda is a fan of mine, so i wouldn't have no reason here to be praising

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.

yeah, but i think we can genereally discern between experimental, and just poorly executed (knowing the artist didn't intend).

And different between different mixing styles and 'shit, that is physically ear piercing'

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Just to recap...
  • There is no voting conspiracy.
  • Vote for the best beat, period.
  • Mixing is part of the beat, but so is everything else.
  • Music is art. Art is subjective.
  • This feels like office gossip. "I reported Stacy to HR because she's trying to ruin my career!"

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Just to recap...
  • There is no voting conspiracy.
  • Vote for the best beat, period.
  • Mixing is part of the beat, but so is everything else.
  • Music is art. Art is subjective.
  • This feels like office gossip. "I reported Stacy to HR because she's trying to ruin my career!"
I honestly don't understand where whoever is thinking there's a problem?

Someone mix struck me as having insanely harsh mids, one user reminded me of it. I made the comment, along with tonnes of praise, and now it's the Deepill queermafia voting cult false flag conspiracies.