what did u start producing with?

T

The Bastard

yamaha portasound pss140, that shit had , drum pads on it,dam that takes me back,this piece was pretty much a toy but i used it creatively and made ''usable'' beats on it

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Akai s -900 with a brken fan before I had any money I would only make beats in the winter..sit it by the window so the cold air wouldn't let it over heat ...I used a casio rz-1 as a midi control and then I got a small cheap fan from th 99 cent store and sat it on top of the vent so it wouldn't over heat

I also had la riot sample cd's that I would use to sample from

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Started with a 386 and the purchase of an 8bit soundcard, a juno106 and a borrowed 808. Passport trax or cubase for midi, ft2 for audio. It was the soundcard that brought things in motion, befor it there was no audio except from the internal pc speaker. Since then I've just been buying, selling and swapping gear. I have a serious fetish for vintage electronic gear and basicly will only spend money on electronica, thus a synth collector. With this collection of gear I can create any kind of music except that which involves acoustic instruments, I dont prefer to produce one genre specificly, just anything I can make with the setup.

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Music 2000 on the PC... If you want i'll post some of the beats up that were made on it...

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by N.U.G.
Music 2000 on the Playstation!

My guy tragic been bangin' out some ill shit on that game man. Then we'd just record it into acid pro.

Shit I started usin' just a yamaha keyboard, the I was introduced to Fruity loops 3. I hated those weak ass presets but I still banged out on that shit

M

MADAFCA

my lil brothers b-day is coming up and he wants to be a little producer anyway can someone give me any advice on what shall i purchase for a first timer? i'm thinking of going hardward with a $800 limit.
and could u explain what can he do with them so when i purchase it i can explain to him before he bitch about he dont know what to do.

T

The Bastard

I GAVE MY LITTLE COUSIN A USED BEAT MACHINE BE4,HE REALLY APRECIATED THAT

C

CooGi_dice

madafca what exactly are u looking to get as far as hardware.... im guessing a workstation this way evrything is all in one unit, but i have no idea what sort of sounds or features your intersted in.

a 800$ budget is good, u could get 2 or 3 peices of high quality pro gear if u shop around.

i would say your best bet is a korg triton le, it does evrything on it and the sounds, synth engine (HI system), effects and sampler are GREAT. the only thing is the sampler is not built in, you have to get an add on. and the keyboard action sucks, but thats only if your used to high quality keys, but if this is your lil brothers first synth he wont know the diffrence. the triton le 61 keys used sells for around 600$-800$.
also a roland xp-50 would be real ill and you would have like 400 or 500$ left over for something else.

M

MADAFCA

ok coogi let me explain what the lil dumb ass wants to do.

he wants to make beats with a keyboard a drum machine sampler or what ever as far as the hardware goes and he wants to rap to them he and a few friends of his want to make some home demos or something
if he needs any computer software as well im willing to except any advice i read this fourm all the time and u guys know this stuff like u made the intruments

C

CooGi_dice

go with the triton le....... as soon as he hears the presents (especialy the hip hop drum kit) he wont stop thanking you and telling u how great and cool u are.. ha ha.

M

MADAFCA

lol i doubt he will say that but um whats this mpc 2000 thing he keep tellin me about? what does this do?

C

CooGi_dice

mpc 2000 is a sampler/drum machine.... real dope tool.

it has NO SOUNDS IN IT, thats one thing u have to remeber... you need to sample all the sounds into it, so as far as sounds you only get what you put into it.

its the best for programing drums, once you learn it you can create "beats" in minutes...

if u wanna get a mpc go for a 2000xl cuz it has better features then the 2000.

in my opinion the mpc is best used with other hardware...

im not sure how much they sell for, i sold my 2000xl last year for 1800$ but mines was fully maxed out, i think u can find them for around your budget.

C

CooGi_dice

i sold mine cuz i wanted to upgrade to something new, plus back then i was selling alot of gear to make room in my studio.

what do i use now?
ha ha... thats a good ? but sorta hard to answer... i own a mpc4000 but i havent truely used it yet ive only fooled around with it maybe 4 or 5 hours at most, its up in a box with the rest of my gear right now...
i was using my triton studio to program drums and do evrything else.

one thing about the mpc is its realy easy to learn... if you caint start making "beats" on that thing within a half hour to an hour after you get it....... well, you should reconsider beatmaking.... or producing, which ever your interested in.

EDIT- if you have anymore specific ?'s dirrected towards me you can either pm me or holla at me on one of my messengers, i belive there listed in my profile... i think so.

Decibal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I started out on Fruity Loops, then kicked it with Propellerheads Reason for a while. I finally had enough coin to get Cubase SX and a few VSTi's. My collection of VST and VST instruments keep growing. I wouldn't leave Cubase SX now, I think Steinberg makes a sick music app.

Peace out

Decibal

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
fl

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
I started with a gemini 8 sec sampler. Just cutting loops. I got and old tape full of songs I made just by sampling.