what did u start producing with?

C

CooGi_dice

what did u start producing with?

i dj for years before producing so i already had a ton of records, plus my moms was into music and my step pops used to produce and own a record shop...

i started with a f*cked up mpc-60, and a used korg 01/w.

F

fade502

The first time I really produced anything was with a crappy turntable. I would create a drum beat by tapping on the record. I would then play beat while scratching over it. Pretty primative (especially since I didn't have a mixer). I then went to a simple computer based wave editor, and eventually cooledit for creating mix tapes and edits. The MPC2K was my first rhythym machine.

It all seems so easy now that I have the technology...

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sup dawg

as far as making beats..man i would sample a piece from a song on a old cheap techniques record player, into a old ass roland keyboard...i'd make the drum beat with my dr-550. and just loop the sample while adding the drumbeat to it. in the beginning that's all i had. i'm still learnin the equip i have now, mpc 2000xl, e-m mp-7, homestudio 2004xl(software) and soundforge 7(software). keep in mind it's never really about the eqiupment(unless its effecting sound quality) but moreso what you do wit it dawg.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Hell, i wish i had tha luxury of starting out with a drum machine or a turntable...Im still usin what i started with and thats reason...tha only thing thats changed is tha version...Im just too dam poor:( I hate how i always have great ambitions of buying all these wonderful toys to make music with but then rent comes or my car breaks down...Oh well....Some day i guess???

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i started out with a Motif ES, MPC 4000, Pro Tools, and a PowerMac G5.

yeeeeeeeeeeaaahhhhhhhhhhh. right. i STILL dont have that kind of setup. 4 years later.

i started with a tape deck, dead serious. i looped "money, cash, hoes", "brain damage", and "nas is like"....

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dawg that reason program u got cost more than my dr 550 and record player combined..i am almost sure of it. i didnt have a computer or anything at the time. soundquality sucked, and i could only record into a regualr cassette..i got dozens of beat tapes tho :) so be blessed that you have what you have dawg. at least you can make sum'n of some quality and put it on cd..instead of the primative cassette. appreciate and respect the small stuff and u'll be blessed with things u want dawg. keep progressin homie. one.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
true dat...i remember doing the loop tapes wit PE - it takes a nation of millions...big daddy kane - long live the kane...eric b and rakim's - paid in full.biz markie - goin off..and tons of others..ha ha!..lol

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
i just started on my rm1x a few years back, never used to sample or nuttin, just make shit from scratch on that.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
dawg that reason program u got cost more than my dr 550 and record player combined..i am almost sure of it. i didnt have a computer or anything at the time. soundquality sucked, and i could only record into a regualr cassette..i got dozens of beat tapes tho so be blessed that you have what you have dawg. at least you can make sum'n of some quality and put it on cd..instead of the primative cassette. appreciate and respect the small stuff and u'll be blessed with things u want dawg. keep progressin homie. one.

Just between you and me...I got a copy of tha prgm from friend a mine.
But, yeah...I totally dig what yer saying and i am happy i got what i got.
I just look at peoples crazy setups like formants or whoever has a mpc and a turntable and im like " i wonder what its like to fuck with one of those things?"

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dawg..shit looks cool to work..and it probly is..but it in alot of cases..it's a pain to learn. prime example..cubase..i was huntin for programs to record my stuff on..i was told by several different people, most who are establish in there areas, one even owns her own production company..has told me that cubase has a learning curve that's serious. then on the other hand..i have a video that has mark the 45 king talkin bout how he made "hard knock life" on his quote "shitty ass mixing board" and found the annie record at a flea market or sum'n like that..it's all lyes within ones imagination dawg. keep progressin dawg. one.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
I started with a free demo of Micrologic I got with Computer Music Mag. That was like in '99.

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
sup peeps i started by selling weed and putting shit on lay away lil by lil i had shit going /i started with a 4 track tascam, dr. sample and the boss dr 550 been rhyming since back in the days when i played an instramental on one tape deck and just hit record on another wow that was like 13 years ago stay up peep's lets bum rush the industry kenwop cold kutz im out

C

CooGi_dice

Originally posted by N.U.G.
Music 2000 on the Playstation!

whoa thats original, ive never hurd of someone starten out on the psx.

and
some people are reckless.