Back In My Day

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Fade know re: serious. I need some humorous peeps to be around. Folk I could throw some pies, etc. at, folk I could slap-box on some "back in my day" shit!

these were revolutionary once...
download (5).jpg

Be @2GooD Productions be grateful your childhood was carefree, mine was also albeit w/different experiences on the other side of the pond.
my childhood was far from carefree, I had a lone mother, we were some of the poorest on the estate. I was bullied relentlessly for it.
It gave me character, I grew a sense of humour, and I learned to defend myself.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @2GooD Productions wanted a pager back in my high school era. Was lucky to get a cell phone soon as I hit college.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
BACK IN MY DAY....

Rappers had a DJ.

Every live show had a DJ with actual turntables and real vinyl.

When rappers had beef, they made diss records at each other.

Women were naturally beautiful and weren't covered in tattoos and all kinds of fake shit like nails, eyelashes, etc.

Music, TV, movies were awesome.

No cell phones, no internet. Yet we survived. Amazing, isn't it?

BACK IN MY DAY....

Rappers had a DJ.

Every live show had a DJ with actual turntables and real vinyl.

When rappers had beef, they made diss records at each other.

Women were naturally beautiful and weren't covered in tattoos and all kinds of fake shit like nails, eyelashes, etc.

Music, TV, movies were awesome.

No cell phones, no internet. Yet we survived. Amazing, isn't it?
was many times we got VIP in clubs, but we had to help carry some record cases, or even speakers lol. Man shit wasnt light back then.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: smoking @Fade I'd be pissed if smoking could be done everywhere, we weren't meant to breathe that shit in our lungs, that's why you got a generation of asthmatic folks coupled w/COPD, etc, if they were dumb enough to smoke.

I wish you were in the US in the South in particular as I'm from/in a state that still has dry counties. The county in my city thankfully ain't one.

I miss when news wasn't 24/7 celebrity bullshit. Miss when being famous and/or a celebrity was a mystery depending on the image of the person for whom celebrity status was granted to.

Miss when some ('cause not all were) rappers were coherent lyrically, musically and visually and most had their own identity or identities that solidified the music.

Miss when live performances mattered (Apollo, Arsenio, etc.).

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: @Fade women, miss when men were likewise e.g. no tattoos, etc. as a Black woman I would have loved to have been beyond old enough to be a Black man's love interest in a music video, like

I was 10 y.o. when that dropped. They recently did a show early this month w/Stephanie Mills and Freddie Jackson and killed it! Miss when Black men were sexy/handsome w/o trying too hard to be both or either.

During the 80's and 90's there was a lot of imagination in the world. Music, TV, Movies, Comedy. It was of such a higher calibre when it wasnt pushing some political agenda and just wanted to entertain us, usually by mocking the very politics we have rammed down our throats now. I think it was the golden age of entertainment as a whole, not just hip hop. Labels still took chances on something new, it wasnt so formulaic.

We still get the occasional gem of a movie, but they are few and far between these days. Everything has become generic, lacking the freshness and originality it once had, the ones that still have it stand out by a mile. Movies like John Wick, or Ready Player One.

Im starting to notice some more originality even in the drill music, some stuff that gets me nodding(I never believed it would ever happen) but its not all shit.

Im not just an old man(yes I am) looking back on my time growing up thinking things were way better, in many ways they werent, and in many ways they were. It was indeed different. Could I live without the internet? yes, do I want to? No.
Everything is a double edged sword and we often look back on the past with rose tinted specs, but life was so much easier back then, especially for kids.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
During the 80's and 90's there was a lot of imagination in the world. Music, TV, Movies, Comedy. It was of such a higher calibre when it wasnt pushing some political agenda and just wanted to entertain us, usually by mocking the very politics we have rammed down our throats now. I think it was the golden age of entertainment as a whole, not just hip hop. Labels still took chances on something new, it wasnt so formulaic.

We still get the occasional gem of a movie, but they are few and far between these days. Everything has become generic, lacking the freshness and originality it once had, the ones that still have it stand out by a mile. Movies like John Wick, or Ready Player One.

Im starting to notice some more originality even in the drill music, some stuff that gets me nodding(I never believed it would ever happen) but its not all shit.

Im not just an old man(yes I am) looking back on my time growing up thinking things were way better, in many ways they werent, and in many ways they were. It was indeed different. Could I live without the internet? yes, do I want to? No.
Everything is a double edged sword and we often look back on the past with rose tinted specs, but life was so much easier back then, especially for kids.
Well said. At this point I'd rather go back to the 80s since we have both old school and some new stuff. For example, we had Atari but we weren't on it all day, we went to the arcade if we wanted to play games. Hell, just the experience of going to the video store was fun. It's not the same just laying on the couch being a fat piece of shit, just clicking something on your remote or phone and ordering a movie.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Main @2GooD Productions thing I lament re: Internet and tech as a whole is loss of privacy. Biggest thing I hate about today's era is the pussification of almost everyone. I get people shouldn't say racist, sexist, etc. things and I despise those who spew such, but apologizing with a public press conference? hell nah. Main thing I'd love to see at a public press conference is a literal knocking out of the person who said what they said.

I hate the idea of tolerance in today's era being pushed/marketed as "diversity." I'm not tolerating someone just because.

Well said. At this point I'd rather go back to the 80s since we have both old school and some new stuff. For example, we had Atari but we weren't on it all day, we went to the arcade if we wanted to play games. Hell, just the experience of going to the video store was fun. It's not the same just laying on the couch being a fat piece of shit, just clicking something on your remote or phone and ordering a movie.
IN MY DAY we would go to the off license(liquor store) downstairs and spend a good 20 mins looking through the vhs movies that me and my sister would be watching that night. We watched everything, we were well accustomed to horror films by the time we were 12, most were hilarious. Some were pretty impressive like the Hellraisers and the first Nightmare on Elm Street. Then we would play the movies on our VHS cassette recorder with the piano keys.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I'm fine w/this era but re: movies @Fade @2GooD Productions tell me I ain't the only one who had a Blockbuster card back in the day!

members online