Tribes, Biases, Battles and Voting

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's a big conspiracy!

It's really dumb though. I've seen people get mad because they lost to a Trap beat or Boom Bap beat, when in fact they should realize they lost because they just lost. It's just people preferred the other beat, that's all.

Over the years I've had people say "oh you guys are mainly Boom Bap here". Not at all. I have no idea why people say that, there's plenty of different styles here. Yet, if a Trap beat wins it's "oh you guys prefer Trap beats huh".
:poop:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
type beats

The thing is, "type beat" by it's very nature = unoriginal.

So for me, just personally. I don't enjoy painfully unoriginal stuff. For the ill too tho, part of the voting criteria is originality/creativity. So when I load up a beat and its its, pitched hat roll, 808 slide, detuned sample. It's like... where's the originality or creativity? It's part of why recently i got into Phonk... even though most phonk is probably the same, was a refreshing change from normal trap.

And you might not know me, but I hold myself to stricter shit than the above^. And as a result am genuinely considering being done with music making.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
See, the thing too is that when a beat is not Boom Bap (meaning sampling), then we're left with beat makers trying to make their own melodies. This is why everything sounds the same. With sampling, Boom Bap has a sound as well, but the samples can be wildly different. With Trap, everyone's using the same tools/sounds/techniques, so there's a lot of generic beats being made.

If you look at actual musicians, the results are very different because they know how to play an instrument, whereas creating something with a plug-in could just mean pointing and clicking with your mouse.

And you might not know me, but I hold myself to stricter shit than the above^. And as a result am genuinely considering being done with music making.
Then just quit, find something else to do with your time. You talk about quitting like Ogbama talks about starting. Make a decision and stick with it, we aint getting any younger.

InnerThug

prod. by InnerThug
Battle Points: 170
lol link me that thread... I aint got the patience to search

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
the insecure will understand
See, its like you have a passion, you want to practice it so bad. But then it feels like you dont get anything out of it, you start to doubt while still having this unsatisfied desire to just CREATE. You create but your brain just wants to accept that EXTRAORDINARY NEVER SEEN BEFORE stuff or its bad. Then over time while going back and forth you feel like frozen in time, you begin to overthink every step resulting often in worse quality that before. You notice, try to work around but the thinking cant be stopped simce the creative brain just cant otherwise our lives would feel empty and not worth living.

Unfortunately your passion can become your worst nightmare and you NEED to step back and take a break. But you dont want to, you just want to make dope music but just cant so you seem stuck like @Iron Keys or me, i just dont tell anyone.

This is a rare occasion where i fully agree with you. Creativity is often more of a curse than a blessing.
If im in the mood to make music I make music, if Im not I dont, I do other things. If I dont get music finished then it is what it is, you cant force it. Yes my productivity has massively collapsed, but when Im in the mood I make music. When its not fun I dont do it, I make music to enjoy myself. I was one beat short for warzone so didnt stress it, there is always next time. In this clown world we really need to stop taking everything so seriously.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
I was wrong, shoulda kept my mouth shut

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
If im in the mood to make music I make music, if Im not I dont, I do other things. If I dont get music finished then it is what it is, you cant force it. Yes my productivity has massively collapsed, but when Im in the mood I make music. When its not fun I dont do it, I make music to enjoy myself. I was one beat short for warzone so didnt stress it, there is always next time. In this clown world we really need to stop taking everything so seriously.
Thats logic. Creative ppl dont think that way.

See, its like you have a passion, you want to practice it so bad. But then it feels like you dont get anything out of it, you start to doubt while still having this unsatisfied desire to just CREATE. You create but your brain just wants to accept that EXTRAORDINARY NEVER SEEN BEFORE stuff or its bad. Then over time while going back and forth you feel like frozen in time, you begin to overthink every step resulting often in worse quality that before. You notice, try to work around but the thinking cant be stopped simce the creative brain just cant otherwise our lives would feel empty and not worth living.

Unfortunately your passion can become your worst nightmare and you NEED to step back and take a break. But you dont want to, you just want to make dope music but just cant so you seem stuck like @Iron Keys or me, i just dont tell anyone.
We all go through this stuff, hence my insecurity comment. When its hurting our mental health we need to ask ourselves why we do it in the first place. Firstly for me, music is a hobby, I enjoy making it and it passes the time. Ive spent many times more than Ive ever earned, Ive invested into my hobby, some guys build cars, speaker systems etc, we make music.
When its not fun anymore we need to make some serious decisions, or at the very least take a break and come back later.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
We all go through this stuff, hence my insecurity comment. When its hurting our mental health we need to ask ourselves why we do it in the first place. Firstly for me, music is a hobby, I enjoy making it and it passes the time. Ive spent many times more than Ive ever earned, Ive invested into my hobby, some guys build cars, speaker systems etc, we make music.
When its not fun anymore we need to make some serious decisions, or at the very least take a break and come back later.
I can only talk for me but when im stuck and forced to stop then i get depressed. When im not creating anything im dead inside its like why even live on then?
Thats what im trying to say, when you can stop and do other shit, great. When ppl like me stop because our creativity turns into demons, then we start to go insane, for real.

Ask yourself why so many great artists have mental breakdowns. Ppl like us live in a different realm of reality.

I can only talk for me but when im stuck and forced to stop then i get depressed. When im not creating anything im dead inside its like why even live on then?
Thats what im trying to say, when you can stop and do other shit, great. When ppl like me stop because our creativity turns into dwm
are there other ways that you can express your creativity? drawing? 3D Art, web design, woodwork etc.
There are many ways to be creative, I do photoshop art, blender art and other things besides music. Even some games allow me to get creative when Im not in the mood for music.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
are there other ways that you can express your creativity? drawing? 3D Art, web design, woodwork etc.
There are many ways to be creative, I do photoshop art, blender art and other things besides music. Even some games allow me to get creative when Im not in the mood for music.
Funny thing is, i do 3D art, Game Dev and stuff like that, but when my creativity turns against me, its all down the drain. I mean, i learned to live with it, i can spot when im getting in that phase and i just live with it. But i understand @Iron Keys feelings and why hes acting like he does.
But thats just the way it is.

Funny thing is, i do 3D art, Game Dev and stuff like that, but when my creativity turns against me, its all down the drain. I mean, i learned to live with it, i can spot when im getting in that phase and i just live with it. But i understand @Iron Keys feelings and why hes acting like he does.
But thats just the way it is.
I quit for 7 years, I also understand why he says what he says. Sometimes we need to just take a leap and see how it goes, can always come back to music later.

Wouldn't a "True Creative" keep at music no matter what tho?
I mean you don't have to share it, but you'll have the need to keep making it, therefore "quit music" is RARELY an option, right?

Welp what do I know:confusedphones:

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Wouldn't a "True Creative" keep at music no matter what tho?
I mean you don't have to share it, but you'll have the need to keep making it, therefore "quit music" is RARELY an option, right?

Welp what do I know:confusedphones:
Thats the dilemma, you want to make music but if you re in THAT state, nothing will satisfy you. So there is a point where both creating and quitting just seem undoable so you re mentally floating around in limbo.

members online