Tribes, Biases, Battles and Voting

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
This is more just mental masturbation, not a call for change.
So don't go bugging Fade. Let him rest.

But it's something that's come to mind a lot when listening/voting in the battles and such.

When it comes to Boom Bap and Trap, to put it crudely. It's almost like 2 different genres.

When it comes to voting, pretty sure BoomBappers go 'well, fuck this new shit, im voting that traditional ish!' and the Trapbois go "omg, this sounds like that same beat everyone makes".
The same hi hat rolls and "vroomvrooms" make one group automatically vote in favour, and the other group vote against. Just by default.

I think it's a rare occasion for one tribe to vote for the other, and would have to be when there is just too significant a quality in the two.

It almost feels the equivalent of a battle between Trance and Dubstep. They're both EDM, but completely different tribes.

Think is less of an issue when it comes to Beat This, but on the rest, even within myself I notice biases a lot.

It just makes me wonder sometimes what it is we're doing.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360

But it's something that's come to mind a lot when listening/voting in the battles and such.

When it comes to Boom Bap and Trap, to put it crudely. It's almost like 2 different genres.

When it comes to voting, pretty sure BoomBappers go 'well, fuck this new shit, im voting that traditional ish!' and the Trapbois go "omg, this sounds like that same beat everyone makes".
The same hi hat rolls and "vroomvrooms" make one group automatically vote in favour, and the other group vote against. Just by default.

I think it's a rare occasion for one tribe to vote for the other, and would have to be when there is just too significant a quality in the two.

It almost feels the equivalent of a battle between Trance and Dubstep. They're both EDM, but completely different tribes.

Think is less of an issue when it comes to Beat This, but on the rest, even within myself I notice biases a lot.

I dont bias it, myself.

Look if the shit is dope, it is dope. When I vote I look for little things (After the basic of mix and following the Fade guidelines for the battle) Creativity, difficulty, instruments used, etc. I actually like to listen to the beat and look at each part of it when making a choice, time permitted of course. But I dont care what genre, but I do know there are some who just wont... They shouldn't be like that, but they will and it's there vote... I mean look at our gubment for Petes sake!

I've actually been thinking about something similar to this earlier.

it's not necessarily a trap vs old vs new vs tribe thing, I think it's genuinely an east coast west coast battle we got going on here lol

Really tho like, there are certain people who value music more and others who are more into the HIP HOP hip hop, and we need both of them honestly. I've been pissed for so long because like, the music side makes more money and also it seems to be a more... mature thing to be into than hip hop, but there are all sorts of mature people. some grow old to keep listening to the pure thing they liked as kids, some grow out of their taste and embrace a new world of music. but yeah both groups are people we need in here.

Kinda like a conservative vs liberal thing, and as usual liberals can get annoying as fuck.

also I personally have one little bias, and that's effort bias. if a beat #1 is better than beat #2, but beat #2 is more daring, has more balls, is more detailed, has a more special idea or... I kinda start to go towards beat #2. but yeah we all have our own biases, I have a shitton of weird stuff I'm into that I'd vote for no matter what. like Kanye sounding stuff, always gets my vote lol. but in total the true W is 1st to stand out from the crowd and 2nd to not let peoples bias be an excuse not to vote for u.

(Unless if they recognize ur style ofc, that'd be sucky)

(ig on that thought process, 3rd W is to have versatility)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
michael jackson mj GIF

InnerThug

prod. by InnerThug
Battle Points: 170
Totally agree with what everyone else's stated if it's dope it's dope. I've never really understood why we categorize hip hop into different genres within itself
Trap is hip hop, Boom Bap is hip hop
All Trap doesn't sound alike if it does to you you're focusing on the wrong elements of it
All Boom Bap isnt boring and simple if it is to you you're not really listening
All Boom Bap isn't for just the "old heads" all trap is it for the "new school"
That's what makes hip-hop great it doesn't have to be tied down to specific sound hip-hop can be created from anywhere and use elements from any genre as long as it's got rhythm and makes you vibe when you hear it
I also think y'all are a little hard on some of the quote unquote EDM sounding beats
Just because the melody is heavy synth or synth bass focused and maybe has a little bit of hype energy doesn't mean it's not hip-hop
As long as that Kick isn't pumping on every fucking beat repetitively throughout the entire song in my opinion it can absolutely be considered hip-hop
I've always felt if a rhyming pattern of words in rhythmic cadence following actual poetic meter can be recited back properly to the beat that's all the hip-hop I need.

Also isn't EDM just Electronic Dance Music, which when you think about arnt we all making music electronically that can be danced to lmafo

it's not necessarily a trap vs old vs new vs tribe thing, I think it's genuinely an east coast west coast battle we got going on here lol
Hey now dont forget the south baby where trap was born and I say that with complete pride lol

Also
had my dying

Anyways just my two cents I probably don't know what I'm talking about but we can all agree that if we hear Eminem sampled in a beat it's probably my fucking beat

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
I also think y'all are a little hard on some of the quote unquote EDM sounding beats
Just because the melody is heavy synth or synth bass focused and maybe has a little bit of hype energy doesn't mean it's not hip-hop
As long as that Kick isn't pumping on every fucking beat repetitively throughout the entire song in my opinion it can absolutely be considered hip-hop
I've always felt if a rhyming pattern of words in rhythmic cadence following actual poetic meter can be recited back properly to the beat that's all the hip-hop I need.

Also isn't EDM just Electronic Dance Music, which when you think about arnt we all making music electronically that can be danced to lmafo
THIS RIGHT HERE!!!

Thank you!!

Also, those EDM or DUB style chords... I think some are dope as fuck and I like the aggressive shit, like shit with the heavy metal guitar Scarlxrd and shit does. I think even @Fade is hard on that shit... but I like the energy. I mean we fuck with R&B type shit on a constant... slow boombaps etc. could just as easily be R&B all I am sayin. Ya'll need to ease up like @InnerThug said... If it's dope, it's dope.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Personally if a trap beat isn't doing anything new or different, then it's already seriously in a bad place for me.

It takes nothing to program trap drums and then throw a drag n drop detuned sample over it. That's literally majority of trap beats I'm hearing/seeing. Nothing to differentiate one from the next, and takes absolute minimum effort to achieve.

Trap beats are generally like, one person released a song, then one person made a YT tutorial and released a pack. Then every one copies the same tutorial using the same pack in Fruity Loops.

It's very rare to see or hear a trap beat anywere where I can go, 'ou this is different. Who made this' or where you can say 'damn xyz made this'.
I'm not so much a boombap fan either. I just find there's often more variation and distinction than with trap beats.

The fact that trap beats are "type beats" says it all tbh - they are copies of the same thing. That's why it's a 'type beat'. As opposed to just a beat.

When did biting become something to proudly proclaimed in hiphop??!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.

Yeah, but it particularly refers to a certain style and vibe, which is actually quite distinct from Hip-Hop and why they're not often classed together, if ever.

Fade probably has the best description for it when he says certain music sounds like "glowsticks and gay sex" or whatnot.

If I came start posting Trance or Deep House, you gonna say it's Hip-Hop? There's certain focuses and trends in the sound that make something EDM.

I posted a Hip-Hop beat with singing on it... 'cause it had singing on it, people said it isn't hip-hop. so. lol

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Personally if a trap beat isn't doing anything new or different, then it's already seriously in a bad place for me.

It takes nothing to program trap drums and then throw a drag n drop detuned sample over it. That's literally majority of trap beats I'm hearing/seeing. Nothing to differentiate one from the next, and takes absolute minimum effort to achieve.

Trap beats are generally like, one person released a song, then one person made a YT tutorial and released a pack. Then every one copies the same tutorial using the same pack in Fruity Loops.

It's very rare to see or hear a trap beat anywere where I can go, 'ou this is different. Who made this' or where you can say 'damn xyz made this'.
I'm not so much a boombap fan either. I just find there's often more variation and distinction than with trap beats.

The fact that trap beats are "type beats" says it all tbh - they are copies of the same thing. That's why it's a 'type beat'. As opposed to just a beat.

When did biting become something to proudly proclaimed in hiphop??!

The Office Reaction GIF

InnerThug

prod. by InnerThug
There are a ton of beats that are type beats that arnt trap that doesn't really make sense

Yeah, but it particularly refers to a certain style and vibe, which is actually quite distinct from Hip-Hop and why they're not often classed together, if ever.
good to see the sophisticated art of sarcasm and irony isn't lost on everyone lol

Also idk about yall but in my book these are all hip hop songs

InnerThug

prod. by InnerThug
@Mahlhavoc I appreciate the support my guy but funny how opinions change

Disclaimer
I swear this is not to be standoffish or
me speaking ill of you in any way at all
this is all in good fun and totally a joke
I just have to do this​

Photo from the thread of the first battle i entered on this site:

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 12.19.56 AM.png

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
@Mahlhavoc I appreciate the support my guy but funny how opinions change

Disclaimer
I swear this is not to be standoffish or
me speaking ill of you in any way at all
this is all in good fun and totally a joke
I just have to do this​

Photo from the thread of the first battle i entered on this site:

View attachment 6167
lol link me that thread... I aint got the patience to search

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hate it when it's categorized, but I do say "Trap" or "Boom Bap" when explaining something, just so people know what I mean.

But I just vote for whatever is dope. Just listen to any of the AOTB shows - I've picked plenty of Trap beats, as well as Boom Bap, and even some in between. Like @Armani said, it's about effort as well.

So when I hear about all these different styles like Drill, UK Drill, etc., it's just nonsense. Call it what you want but if it doesn't sound good to me, I don't like it. But there might be a track that is UK Drill that I really like. It's all about if it's good or not, that's it.

Look at some of the top producers of all time - some have put out mediocre beats, others were amazing.

I think the main issue why @Iron Keys brought this up is because of Trap and how a lot of it sounds generic. That's what I find a lot of times, it's like when making a Trap beat you have to check off all the boxes. I think that's why some people have issues with it because some beatmakers go a bit overboard when it comes to the Trap style, with tons of stutter kicks and tape stops. Then there's the whole "Trap sharing a border with EDM" thing...

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
I mean, when it comes to battles you kinda have to "sell out" anyways. You re making shit for the people that vote, so its like an election, you want those votes. If you re really in for wins you gotta be like a service trying to satisfy as many customers as possible.

So, lets say there are those tribes in here, the logical step of any producer in the battles would be to try to catch some votes of the other tribe.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I mean, when it comes to battles you kinda have to "sell out" anyways. You re making shit for the people that vote, so its like an election, you want those votes. If you re really in for wins you gotta be like a service trying to satisfy as many customers as possible.

So, lets say there are those tribes in here, the logical step of any producer in the battles would be to try to catch some votes of the other tribe.

For sure, but what would be the purpose in doing it? The grand purpose.

members online