Question: What Format Do You Buy New Music?

What Format Do You Buy New Music?

• CD

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • MP3

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • CD, MP3

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Vinyl, CD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vinyl, MP3

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yes if you add them all up itunes is bigger

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-922781.html
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2...-music-sales-to-overtake-physical-by-2016.ars

even the small local shows I have been playing EVERY band hands out more download codes and thumb drives than CD's.

Sorry CD is a thing of the past.

The first link says that digital downloads represent 40% of US music sales and the second link is a 2009 forecast...NEITHER say that digital downloads out sale CD's...lol. Just admit you're wrong, hahahaha!

Seriously, CD sales are on the decline but the question is...Can you argue your point until digital downloads actually beat CD sales or will this thread die first? LMAO

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
CDs for me....

MP3 just seems too impersonal...

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Vinyl really isn't that pricey is it? I mean on average, the cost of a new hip-hop LP is between 10-15$, or 5-10$ for a 12", and for a reissues of other music, you can get those for about the same price. I'm just using prices from what I've bought recently, it might be more expensive in other countries.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
@dac sigh from the article "Apple gained four percentage points over the year-ago quarter to snatch 28% of the market. Amazon surged by three percentage points to tie Wal-Mart for second place at 12% of the total market." and those are 2009 numbers

@dox my bad, the small local bands SELL download codes. In fact most of the time when a band only has a CD to sell its like WOW they are disconnected.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ok and here is another chart for you, see how digital is bigger.

How can you look at this and not say the format is dead? or at least becoming largely irrelevant.

chart-of-the-day-music-industry-1973-2009-feb-2011.jpg

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
because that chart shows a single digital download vs an entire CD (remember a CD has 10+ tracks). Give up Chris it hasn't happen yet. Plus YOU made that chart...lol!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Go back to your other chart and you will see that digital downloads represented 40% of US sales in 2009, now look at your new chart and you will see approx. the same thing...Once again, you're comparing single sales to entire CD sales. Ofcourse there's more money in downloads because of the oversaturation of mp3 players, the slow death of CD players and home audio systems in general. Plus mp3's are alot cheaper to produce than CD's are but you're actually paying more for them per song. I've got a chart for you...look at the poll on this thread and compare CD's to mp3's....lol.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I appreciate the thread blowing up, but remember to stay on topic about what you're buying. The thread's for me to see what you guys are/are not buying. Open another thread or something to debate which mediums are most popular.

P.S. There's only 6 votes! WTF.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
To be on topic, it should be noted I wouldnt buy an MP3, not in any encoding. It would have to be a lossless format

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Sorry boss, back on topic...realistically speaking, mp3 download @ 190k (vbr) LAME encoding (minium) or 256k is the way to go. Both in cost to produce and sound quality.

members online