Question: What Format Do You Buy New Music?

What Format Do You Buy New Music?

• CD

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • MP3

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • CD, MP3

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Vinyl, CD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vinyl, MP3

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
I stick with cds now, I generally dont go with vinyl anymore, my last turntable is on its last legs now. I buy cd's because it has all the album and artist info, and in the event of a disaster like a hard drive failure, then I can just rip the cd again and nothing is lost. And for that same reason I dont buy mp3 albums. If its lost, its lost for good, and thats good money down the pan, and I hate that, lol.

On a sidenote, vinyl production runs are just too damn expensive these days, I got a few quotes a few years ago, and even then the prices were fucking extortionate.
I think sticking with cd and mp3 is the way to go, dont even bother with vinyl.
Most djs these days dont even use vinyl, its either serato etc or cd mixing decks.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
60% of indie sales are still on Disc. They arent dead yet but the CD format wont last much longer. Vinyl on the other hand has died and came back and seems almost stronger than ever. For an artist release, the vinyl is like a mini physical event, a collectors item, were as a CD is a music holding format (Strictly).

Both are necessary, but one has a culture supporting it, the other is becoming obsolete. (How long before DVD players are the norm and DVDs become the standard? (Which also hold more data))

... And for that same reason I dont buy mp3 albums. If its lost, its lost for good, and thats good money down the pan, and I hate that, lol.

But you can buy online and burn to disk

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
(How long before DVD players are the norm and DVDs become the standard? (Which also hold more data))

Will never happen, media is dead.

And for that same reason I dont buy mp3 albums. If its lost, its lost for good, and thats good money down the pan, and I hate that, lol.

HUH? Not true at all, again both Apple's icloud and Amazons MP3 store will store your music online and let you download it over and over to multiple devices.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Will never happen, media is dead.

My fault, physical formats are dieing. Let me rephrase:

"How long before DVD format trumps CD format" I dont see digital being a sole survivor for decade if at all.

But you can buy online and burn to disk

But then you dont have the inlay booklet and all the information, like producers and other credits etc. Can be very useful for if you want to contact an artist or management etc etc. I kno wits all twitter and shit these days, but Im an old fogey. I dont understand these new fangled technologies, lol.
Nah really tho, I just prefer the medium of cd, I know what Im like, I will download the music and never get around to burning it to cd, my harddrive will fail and I will cry like a girl.
HUH? Not true at all, again both Apple's icloud and Amazons MP3 store will store your music online and let you download it over and over to multiple devices.

Oh, like I said above Im an old fogey who doesnt understand these new technologies.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
But then you dont have the inlay booklet and all the information, like producers and other credits etc. Can be very useful for if you want to contact an artist or management etc etc. I kno wits all twitter and shit these days, but Im an old fogey. I dont understand these new fangled technologies, lol.
Nah really tho, I just prefer the medium of cd, I know what Im like, I will download the music and never get around to burning it to cd, my harddrive will fail and I will cry like a girl.

lol at the cry like a girl. Painted a funny picture lol

But lemme just say this:

$18 for 100 blank CDs, and download/look up the credits/album art + extra media on the net for the price of connectivity lol

It economically smart! lol

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7

but that shit ain't out yet. plus, while i'm an apple fan (for computers), they are the ones that turned me off of mp3s. yeah, they've since corrected it, but the horrible quality, and the drm shit they did ruined it for me. that's why on the occasions that i do buy mp3s, i buy from amazon.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
there is no longer DRM in the itunes store and there has not been for a while.

Define dead. I suspect apple will be dead before CD/DVDs are all said and done lol

Apple can go 20 years on the cash it has on hand if it stops selling ALL products. I mean honestly media is already dead. Netflix streaming is more popular that DVD's itunes is more popular than buying a CD, Kindle is more popular than buying a book. Honestly its already over. Just look up the numbers. But CD's will be very rare to see within 3 years, man they already are now. Also yea vinyl records have made a come back but even so they make up like .00001% of music sales.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
itunes may be the number 1 retailer but that doesn't mean that media is dead, in fact I'm pretty sure that there are still more CD's sold than digital downloads on an album to album scale. I don't know the stats but I'm sure that WalMart, Target and Best Buy are all right under itunes, combine their CD sells and see what you get.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Once again i ask you to define dead.

Also, this thread is about sales, like I said, 60% of indie sales are still Cds. Face to Face mostly. The format isnt dead in any definition unless you are on a mainstream scale, at that point it isnt logical, nor would you be arguing t=any point on a forum lol.

*Think this constitutes a thread hi-jack lol*

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
"Hands out" and "sale" are two different things, very different. I take my numbers from industry experts, Wendy Day for example. So.... yea. No CDs may work for you, but the rest of the world hasnt converted yet.