Old heads

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Music, just like everything else should be judged based on era.

Why not just if an individual likes it or not?

I can talk only for me but i can overlook some faults in production if the result is still pleasing.

Same as if the production is clean af, super tight but just doesnt click, it could have the highest standards, if i dont like it, i dont like it.

Imo every era had BS and Gems alike.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Why not just if an individual likes it or not?

I can talk only for me but i can overlook some faults in production if the result is still pleasing.

Same as if the production is clean af, super tight but just doesnt click, it could have the highest standards, if i dont like it, i dont like it.

Imo every era had BS and Gems alike.
Like sports. First of all, Jordan is the best basketball player of all time. But on the other hand, you could go by era. He never played in the 60s or 70s. Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain were great too.

A while ago I saw the Rolling Stone best Rap albums of all time and I laughed. You just can't compare something like Illmatic to something by Nicki Minaj. It's not even the same genre. So it really comes down to era, and in the world of Hip Hop, genre and style.

There's absolutely no way in hell Public Enemy can be based up against anything from today. It's not even close to the same thing.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Comparing @Fade music is always a context thing hence why something being “dated” is real. Sports doesn’t have that problem!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Comparing @Fade music is always a context thing hence why something being “dated” is real. Sports doesn’t have that problem!
Of course it does. Jordan was awesome but it would be amazing to see how he would have played in the 60s against Wilt, or Wilt playing the 90s.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
You just can't compare something like Illmatic to something by Nicki Minaj.

Thats why i try to get away of comparing stuff against eachother, its still stuck in my brain like branding mark but still. I try to just listen to shit and enjoy it, if its enjoyable for me.

I get your point tho when it comes to discussions about music. But then discussing about music is like discussing religion.

Discussing HOW to make music and the stuff going on when making it, is another thing.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Thats why i try to get away of comparing stuff against eachother, its still stuck in my brain like branding mark but still. I try to just listen to shit and enjoy it, if its enjoyable for me.

I get your point tho when it comes to discussions about music. But then discussing about music is like discussing religion.

Discussing HOW to make music and the stuff going on when making it, is another thing.
Yeah I'm just saying I enjoy older stuff. I don't HATE new stuff, I just don't enjoy it like I do the older stuff. It's just all I see is "old head" stuff like we're dinosaurs stuck in the past and can't hear anything past 2000. Whatever. I'm going to enjoy my OE and St. Ides while listening to 36 Chambers!

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Yeah I'm just saying I enjoy older stuff. I don't HATE new stuff, I just don't enjoy it like I do the older stuff. It's just all I see is "old head" stuff like we're dinosaurs stuck in the past and can't hear anything past 2000. Whatever. I'm going to enjoy my OE and St. Ides while listening to 36 Chambers!

I feel you on that, but then i never seen "old head" as something negative. And when you would compare to how "old heads" made music with floppies, tapes and shit like that vs. today, man, we ARE dinosaurs.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wu-Tang Clan Wu GIF by Energize
Wu Tang Dap GIF
wu tang protect ya neck GIF
wu tang clan rap GIF
hip hop rap GIF

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I feel you on that, but then i never seen "old head" as something negative. And when you would compare to how "old heads" made music with floppies, tapes and shit like that vs. today, man, we ARE dinosaurs.
I see shit all the time on social media about that. Like I'm supposed to understand who Lil Dirt Bag or Young Barf is. Really?

I'm glad you mentioned about recording on old gear. That's something that is awesome. Of course we're looked at as dinosaurs but so what? Floppies were dope. Today they can't even spell floppy without being uninterested.

Who Cares Whats Going On GIF by Marvin Gaye

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
All @Fade Lil’s and Young’s sicken me. And I will and do try to go outta my way to find new shit that isn’t Trap or Mumble or Strip Hop.

Don’t get me started on contemporary R&B these days. Champagne room Auto-Tune, no relationships (unless you count toxic ones) just “relations.” Younger dudes out here trying to sound like “(c)rappers.” Old heads like Shawn Stockman preaching about real R&B and folk in denial about what he said as it’s truth to it.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @DPrezd Beggar low-key no cap can pen some Nicki type lyrics minus the cartoon voices and vulgarity but deliver ‘em on some old school Antoinette “I got an attitude” steez.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
I @DPrezd Beggar low-key no cap can pen some Nicki type lyrics minus the cartoon voices and vulgarity but deliver ‘em on some old school Antoinette “I got an attitude” steez.
Or you could just keep the vulgarity and bust some Nicki moves, fk the lyrics, you wouldnt be able to talk anyways with my "mic" in yo sweet mouth. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry. xd

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
My @DPrezd Beggar movement is #classovertrashdeadthecrass as stupid folk are already “impressionable” so I serve the meds in the applesauce.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
That @DPrezd Beggar phrase is slang for when you put a message in something but disguise it as superficial to make the “masses” get it.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Music, just like everything else should be judged based on era. So for example, each decade.

50's were Rock N roll. 60's British Invasion/Motown, 70's was drugs/Disco/Rock, 80's was when everything just came together nicely because technology introduced the old and new together.

All those decades were special. This is why I consider them the best. What I DO notice about today's music is that no one truly stands out, no one is EXCITING. All the music is just stagnant. This is why I don't care for it. I'm not saying it's shit necessarily, there are some good songs, but a habit I always have is to listen to music from a production standpoint. So I hear constant loudness in today's mixes, but of course that's just a result of the digital era, of course.

This is the issue...

'young heads' are probably more the same as the old heads than they realise --- they're clinging to a sound they believe to be 'current'.

And this is the issue of ALL things today ; in the past, we were always looking for what's next, the next best thing. When that thing came out, everyone would hop on it, then move on to the next thing.

But TODAY... (and for a decade at least) everything has just become the same one thing
- video games: majority of games are "just another first person shooter" (honestly, how many of these do we need? CoD, Halo, Rainbow, Apex, Overwatch, Battlefield, Battlefront, CSGO, Fortnight, Valorant... etc etc. most of them are pretty much the same game with the same modes, and just a vaguely different skin.
- movies: pretty much every movie that comes out these days are "just another superhero movie", literally every film is some Marvel or DC bullshit. All now featuring the same characters in each film. And superhero archetypes are pretty 1 type as it is; someone with super powers, enemy with powers decides to take over world, superhero stops them. Literally been like 10 spiderman films in almost as many years, no one needs that.
- music: type beats. enough said. Rappers all have the EXACT SAME 2or3 triplet flow. Da-da-da Da-da-da. all autotuned/processed with the same effects, saying the same shit. Over the same beat.
- tv shows/series: rinse and repeat 'reality' shows that promote superficiality, emptiness and drama
- everything else: content creation, marketing,

and also, there aren't really any 'cultures' anymore, there's the one "internet culture". Language, slang, trends etc.

this decade and until the change will be seen as stagnant

This is the issue...

'young heads' are probably more the same as the old heads than they realise --- they're clinging to a sound they believe to be 'current'.

And this is the issue of ALL things today ; in the past, we were always looking for what's next, the next best thing. When that thing came out, everyone would hop on it, then move on to the next thing.

But TODAY... (and for a decade at least) everything has just become the same one thing
- video games: majority of games are "just another first person shooter" (honestly, how many of these do we need? CoD, Halo, Rainbow, Apex, Overwatch, Battlefield, Battlefront, CSGO, Fortnight, Valorant... etc etc. most of them are pretty much the same game with the same modes, and just a vaguely different skin.
- movies: pretty much every movie that comes out these days are "just another superhero movie", literally every film is some Marvel or DC bullshit. All now featuring the same characters in each film. And superhero archetypes are pretty 1 type as it is; someone with super powers, enemy with powers decides to take over world, superhero stops them. Literally been like 10 spiderman films in almost as many years, no one needs that.
- music: type beats. enough said. Rappers all have the EXACT SAME 2or3 triplet flow. Da-da-da Da-da-da. all autotuned/processed with the same effects, saying the same shit. Over the same beat.
- tv shows/series: rinse and repeat 'reality' shows that promote superficiality, emptiness and drama
- everything else: content creation, marketing,

and also, there aren't really any 'cultures' anymore, there's the one "internet culture". Language, slang, trends etc.

this decade and until the change will be seen as stagnant
i agree up until the last sentence, there is definitely 2 distinct cultures that are becoming more divided as each day passes. They can watch the exact same thing and see different things. Things will come to a head at some point, when that point is is anybody's guess. Ill leave that there, got a lot more to say on it but you know, I cant talk about it.

Basically everything is being sterilised, sanitised, politicised and being warped beyond recognition.

members online