November 4-7, 2015 - Comments/Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
oh wow!!!!! i been wanting to win this since i made it to the finals in 2011 12 i missed 13 i missed and 14' i just missed by one day! man every year since 11' honestly every rd for me my opponent was crazy @REMO was fire!! i luv that beat!! @Confaya Jammer was heat!!!
i felt like the winner between me and @d.fusion probably would take it all! that 3rd was flame! and @djfeedme beat will killin every rd i glad to have been going up versus the reigning champ! thanks to fade and the ill muzik team for having this tourney and all the voters that got me this win! #RESPECT warzone champ / battle that champ!
U earned it....enjoy

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Just can't win here with Midwest bounce or trap beats congrats to @youngbeats though all his shit was righteous!
Why do people say that? We judge based on the best beat, period. That's all. In the first round I voted for your beat, actually. This is why I pick random members so that everyone has a different taste when judging.

huggyHG

Huggy from da 5280
Battle Points: 161
Why do people say that? We judge based on the best beat, period. That's all. In the first round I voted for your beat, actually. This is why I pick random members so that everyone has a different taste when judging.
I say that because it's becoming more true. I do understand that this is for everyone and every type of hiphop producer, but that doesn't change the fact that no one that makes actual beats other than the boom bap gets very far. Don't take this the wrong way the best producer in this battle won. I believe that whole-heartedly. I just don't think that other genres get much love from a lot of the other members. This in no way is suppose to disrespect any of the judges I'm just stating what I've seen since coming to this platform. I'm grateful that I was even chosen to try and compete, but I guess it's just what the minority here thinks.

yungbeats

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 183
well that was my motivation for this tourney i said something similar to this! all though i do believe everything is fair if you go back to the last warzone archives just read my comments

*THIS IS WHAT I SAID OCT 24 AFTER THE WARZONE TOURNEY!*

congrats to m-chop but i felt like if i won that 2nd rd i would have won the whole thing because my 3 and 4th was crazy! i gambled tried to go with a trap beat and loss! because i know south beats/trap beats dont really get much love in the battles! same thing that happen to me and the battle that finals in 11' BUT GUESS WHAT BATTLE THAT 15' IS MINES...............................................

huggyHG

Huggy from da 5280
well that was my motivation for this tourney i said something similar to this! all though i do believe everything is fair if you go back to the last warzone archives just read my comments

*THIS IS WHAT I SAID OCT 24 AFTER THE WARZONE TOURNEY!*

congrats to m-chop but i felt like if i won that 2nd rd i would have won the whole thing because my 3 and 4th was crazy! i gambled tried to go with a trap beat and loss! because i know south beats/trap beats dont really get much love in the battles! same thing that happen to me and the battle that finals in 11' BUT GUESS WHAT BATTLE THAT 15' IS MINES...............................................
Over here predicting his destiny lol

Spuntastic

cinephile/beatmaker
Battle Points: 82
@REMO vs @yungbeats My vote: Youngbeats

Remo's beat was dope after you get past the Victorian era harpsichord intro which prob hurt you with some voters in a battle setting 1:20 is usually all you get for time and no one would have heard the dope drums you had coming in after that. props my dude

@Confaya Jammer vs @huggyHG My Vote Confaya

huggyhg had the same thing going on as remo the intro is just to long for a battle you got to bring the heat right when you press play or youll lose 99.9% of peoples attention after the first 10 sec. usually the average person will give you their attention for no longer than 10 seconds before they he next that just the ADD society we live in.

I'm a bit confused by this statement. I thought we were in an official beat battle here with judges that have been chosen by Fade.
So to be honest I was expecting that at least the judges will listen to every beat from beginning to the last second with full attention, no matter if some are thinking the intro or the routine is boring or sthing like that. Tell me if I got this wrong but "1:20 is usually all you get for time and no one would have heard the dope drums you had coming in after that" sounds to me like some judges just skipped REMO's beat because of his relatively long intro. And this is just my personal opinion/taste now, but for me REMO killed this whole battle, I still listen to this beat every day multiple times

Anyway, gratz to yungbeats. I'm nevertheless happy I made it to round 3, honestly didn't expect that

Spuntastic

cinephile/beatmaker
Battle Points: 82
i thought @REMO intro was really long! i didnt even know his beat had drums intill i listen like the 3rd time it was dope! but long this is a battle were not making a record

are we listening to different beats? The intro to remo's "poe" is 27secs long. you, me and a lot more have around 20-25secs intros. That's the point I'm trying to make. You say it took you 3 times to discover the track had drums in it, so you skipped it 2 times, which is fine because you didn't judge. But if a judge just skips a track because in his/her opinion the intro is boring, then he/she didn't understand what 'objective judgement' means. I don't wanna sound bitchy because I don't mean it this way. just trying to point out that official battles shouldn't be judged entirely subjective. that's why I still would have voted your beat into the second round although I personally like remos more. Yours was the better craft

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I get what you're saying @huggyHG however, let's say I allowed you and a few other members that do mainly Trap beats to judge a battle. What would the outcome be? For example, in the Attack of the Beats, I've chosen plenty of Trap beats as the winner, and other times not. I spend a lot of time reviewing beats and for me I don't even think about what's Trap and what's not so if Trap beats don't get much love here, it could be something else. Maybe that particular beat is just not as good as the others, or maybe like you said, the judges chosen don't dig those styles necessarily.

I remember even years ago people on here would be saying the same thing you're saying, but not about Trap beats, instead it was just THEIR beat never getting any love. So even if most members here have the "boom bap" style, to me that means nothing.

How about for the next Beat This we have a Trap competition? Just to see what happens. Not this week's since it's already set though. Or how about you and a few others judge this week's Beat This?

Like I've said countless times, I just don't want people to think IllMuzik is only one style. I remember telling guys years ago that it's the members here that set the tone. So it's not like it's my fault if the majority of members here prefer one style over another. I always try to promote neutral styles. Or like Bruce Lee's Jeet Kun Do "my style is no style"!

tomkillsjerry

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 128
I'm a bit confused by this statement. I thought we were in an official beat battle here with judges that have been chosen by Fade.
So to be honest I was expecting that at least the judges will listen to every beat from beginning to the last second with full attention, no matter if some are thinking the intro or the routine is boring or sthing like that. Tell me if I got this wrong but "1:20 is usually all you get for time and no one would have heard the dope drums you had coming in after that" sounds to me like some judges just skipped REMO's beat because of his relatively long intro. And this is just my personal opinion/taste now, but for me REMO killed this whole battle, I still listen to this beat every day multiple times

Anyway, gratz to yungbeats. I'm nevertheless happy I made it to round 3, honestly didn't expect that

well as i was judging i listen to everything all the way through and took notes because i felt thats what the comp and the people participating deserved. but i also know that some will hit skip if you dont catch their ear within the first 15 seconds thats just the ADD instant gratification times we live in.

and most live battles give you a minute maybe a minute and a half.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
True, I can see some maybe skipping through but even then, it's still a battle/competition so to me it should be something that hits right away. I mean, it still comes down to the best beat but there are times when it's like a full production vs. a battle beat. That's hard to judge.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
yung took this battle easily....it was yung vs the field...lol

huggyHG

Huggy from da 5280
I get what you're saying @huggyHG however, let's say I allowed you and a few other members that do mainly Trap beats to judge a battle. What would the outcome be? For example, in the Attack of the Beats, I've chosen plenty of Trap beats as the winner, and other times not. I spend a lot of time reviewing beats and for me I don't even think about what's Trap and what's not so if Trap beats don't get much love here, it could be something else. Maybe that particular beat is just not as good as the others, or maybe like you said, the judges chosen don't dig those styles necessarily.

I remember even years ago people on here would be saying the same thing you're saying, but not about Trap beats, instead it was just THEIR beat never getting any love. So even if most members here have the "boom bap" style, to me that means nothing.

How about for the next Beat This we have a Trap competition? Just to see what happens. Not this week's since it's already set though. Or how about you and a few others judge this week's Beat This?

Like I've said countless times, I just don't want people to think IllMuzik is only one style. I remember telling guys years ago that it's the members here that set the tone. So it's not like it's my fault if the majority of members here prefer one style over another. I always try to promote neutral styles. Or like Bruce Lee's Jeet Kun Do "my style is no style"!
See that right there gives me issues because I never said they don't get love all I'm saying is in official battles they don't go very far. I researched the outcomes before I even entered into the Battle This! I knew I was going into something I would be the minority for. I feel like everyone has a niche. It might be bittersweet to me but I'm happy knowing that the styles I close relate to have less of a chance to win over people here. It makes me work harder to get better, but stating an evident true shouldn't rile people to arms. Just take a look at archives of battles. Again I'm not saying its just you @Fade I'm just generalizing the outcomes I see at this time on this site. I want to make this abundantly clear as well...In no way am I trying to downplay the amazing talents that I see here as well as I will not allow anyone to take this as disrespect to those that compete. Yeah I might like a certain something more than the next but there has been plenty of time where I have agreed with the judgements of battles here this one just struck a chord with me because I noticed how different my beats were to the norm and the not so sudden change up in style by yungbeats this time. Just airing things out.

Last edited:

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
@REMO vs @yungbeats My vote: Youngbeats

Remo's beat was dope after you get past the Victorian era harpsichord intro which prob hurt you with some voters in a battle setting 1:20 is usually all you get for time and no one would have heard the dope drums you had coming in after that. props my dude

youngbeats but ol mf soul that "how it use to be" joint slaps bangs and thumps which is what i call the SBT factor (tm TKJ inc.) the beat just flows and the mix was dope. Props for the win. I told fade after i heard that track if you dont win this idk what im gonna do it was far and away the best production of the comp enjoy that MK2 its sooo dope.

@Confaya Jammer vs @huggyHG My Vote Confaya

huggyhg had the same thing going on as remo the intro is just to long for a battle you got to bring the heat right when you press play or youll lose 99.9% of peoples attention after the first 10 sec. usually the average person will give you their attention for no longer than 10 seconds before they he next that just the ADD society we live in. nice work after the intro of all intros maybe livin up the drums some

Confyas beat was dope def got that East coast hardcore sound really like you sample choices and mixing. nice work fam

ok that one side down and this shit is getting long and im outta time i'll get the b-side of the comp later today

well as i was judging i listen to everything all the way through and took notes because i felt thats what the comp and the people participating deserved. but i also know that some will hit skip if you dont catch their ear within the first 15 seconds thats just the ADD instant gratification times we live in.

and most live battles give you a minute maybe a minute and a half.
I understand how a beat can grab your attention in the 1st few seconds, and that's good... It's good for Beat This! and Warzone battles where you only have 2 min. per beat, but for Battle That! where everyone has 4 min. I don't see that as being as important. I personally listened to all beats in the battle from beginning to end, don't take any offense to this, but I was expecting more... Just about every beat I listened to was done in about 1:30 - 2 min, then the beat just loops to fill the rest of the 4:00 min. You can do a lot in 4 min, but if judges are only worried about the first 1-2 min, then why give 4 min per beat? Battle That! is the biggest and most prestigious competition on this site and I think it should be judged by the "full" production, or song, or whatever you wanna call it... I wanna hear how you have everything structured, how parts lead into each other... Intro, verse, chorus, bridge, ending, etc.

Not to call anyone out, but just for an example: Yungbeats final beat sounded really good, but how many people listened to the beat from beginning to end? If you listened to the end, you'd notice that the beat just cuts off... No ending, no fade out, nothing... and thats after @Fade posted the article https://www.illmuzik.com/threads/4-ways-any-beatmaker-can-end-their-beat.36463/

I know a lot of these beats would sound different with an MC over them but this is a "beat" battle, instrumentals only, and to be honest after 2:00 a lot of these beats get boring... They need different sections and change-ups that keep the listener interested and wanting to listen to beat beat until the very last second... Just my opinion

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@crog85 very well said! It's like when I do the Attack of the Beats show, at first it was just about doing reviews but now it's that and like a competition of sorts. So I'm looking to see who makes best use of the 2 minutes they're allotted. For Battle That, 4 minutes is a lot but the whole point, like you said, was to give plenty of room to do their thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.