Newfound respect

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
5th Sequence said:
co-sign to grafik.

I would like you all to imagine a lil john beat without the use of his engineer. You would have half of soundclick. Simple ass shit and everyone saying "work on the quality". If you gave half of soundclick an engineer, you would have a mass flood of the littler jons lol..

he is his own engineer, u forget he was once indie, he did and learned everything on his own

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
J Cro said:
I think he could.

See if you really listen to Lil Johns shit, yea it's simple and sometime reprettitive. But if you listen close, behind the synths or whatever is a very very very catchy melody. Thats the important part. Making those melodies that are catchy isn't easy. That's where the talent lies.

Some of the shit off the Lil Scrappy album is sampled and is different than just crunk style. That very last song with the guitars "then be a thug" or somethin is a great example. Lil jon's got talent. He just knows whats sellin right now. I think we'll hear some more creative shit from him later when he matures a bit more

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
I'm kind of glad lil jon blew up,,,it makes us East Coast cats step our game up. Makes me wanna get a commercial deal just to compete wit these cats, but again, alot of this is Pop music geared to White suburbia. Face it, the majority of Hip Hop sales are suburban kids tryin to be from the hood. Which I dont get, I just moved,,,and I'm stayin out SUCKAS! So in closing, big ups to Lil Jon for makin my rhymes tighter and my beats hotter. Oh, and to all the East Coast cats tryin to steal that dirty south sound,,,,go fuck ya mother!,,,HOlla

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
na I haven't "forgot" that he was his own enginer. Never knew that. I never went all crazy for crunk and researched lil jon or anything. I stay as far awaaaaaaaay from his midget jumpin ass as I possibly can.

lol I don't think he's a midget but I felt like saying it.

Still though, you'd have half of soundclick.

Ha

T

The Bastard

i have respect for anyone that makes sumthin out of nuthin, even if i say they suck or i dont like em, i still respect em

T

The Bastard

J Cro said:
I think he could.

See if you really listen to Lil Johns shit, yea it's simple and sometime reprettitive. But if you listen close, behind the synths or whatever is a very very very catchy melody. Thats the important part. Making those melodies that are catchy isn't easy. That's where the talent lies.
what part of mass you from? im in malden by way of somerville by way of boston here

WhoDoneIt?

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
it dont even matter

hes beats is hot and sell records at the end of the day nah'm sayin niggas dont care he uses the same sounds and he only does it for singles on his albums he gets deep into sound design like grand finale

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Vince said:
maan, you can't be serious...

lil jon is the reason why there's stuff like 'laffy taffy' on the radio...
LOL AGREED

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
I don't really respect him cuz I feel the "crunk" vibe takes away everything I value in hip hop.

This is me completely personally speaking my opinion, I know everyone has there own an thats cool. Me personally though, I value and respect intellect, insight, women, hip hop culture (like the foundation/history) and grimey old school beats. I feel disrespected when I hear a crunk song and their talkin about being hard in the club, fucking bitches this an that or bragging about their ice an shit. I don't relate to that, but since I make hip hop then I'm automatically associated with all of it. I don't respect anything makes me take offense. I know a lot of other people feel the same way.

Can't stand it.

Anubis-Ra

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Some of you are getting hip hop and rap confused. Do you honestly want all rap music to sound the same? I like to hear all kinds of different rap music, but not just one aspect. It gets boring. Who are we to say what is real hip hop or not when we didn't even start it??

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
To the window, to the wall
To the sweat drop down my balls
To all these bitches crawl
To all skeet skeet motherfucker, all skeet skeet got dam
To all skeet skeet motherfucker, all skeet skeet got dam

Lil Jon makes dumb fucking music, he's dumbing down "hip-hop".

If you mention "hip-hop" to Joe Anybody, he'll associate it with songs about "backing dat ass up" and 24inch rims.

Lil Jon is one of the people responsible for that.

He doesn't deserve respect just because he makes money...Hitler made lots of money as well.

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
let me say this man...And no i don't defend lil jon either, i like some of his music, hate the rest of it, alot of it sound the same,etc... just pay attention to the point I'm making...and fade might edit this or close it, but damn it, it needs to be said...most of the back and forth on this site is based on what certain individuals think is hip-hop and what is not...so why when music that is to be kept out of the hip-hop circle b/c its demeaning and noncreative etc. no artist from the east coast are mentioned, i'm talkin about when examples are used in posts. but artists like cam are just considered wack hiphop, but hes still considered hiphop.kind of like juelz santana whiste song is commercial, but no one ever says dipset isnt hiphop.they are dumbin down to speak of only drug dealing and bitches and hoes, but they are still hiphop, just wack hiphop.punks can jump up to get beat down, but u cant get crunk while doin it.shit heavy d did the crossover thing way before jermaine dupri years ago when he was doing love songs,LL blew up on i need love and hasnt looked back since, and i dare anyone to say these cats aint hiphop.this elitist,judgemental view of whats hip hop and what isnt is bullshit to me.either u like an artist or u dont...but aint none of us got the fuckin say so...yes krs-one will run laps around nelly lyrically,THAT shit is a stupid thread,no-brainer, but yes nelly is hiphop...

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Thank you Vince.

Anubis- Ra. I didn't claim anything about what's real and whats not. I stated my personal values. There is a definite factual difference between what I said I valued and the content that I dislike in his music (which is what lil jon among many others represents and has made very very popular). Iagree on the variety part though. But I also don't see how that goes for defending crunk. All of the crunk I've ever heard has sounded the same. Can you deny that? It's the same type vibe you know, with synths, 808's and whatevers being rapped/bragged about. there is very limited variety in that.

Crunk is a sub-genre of "rap" as a whole, just like my personal taste is a subgenre as well. The thing is, lil jon's success made that sub-genre the new trend and made it really popular. Everyone just catagorizes it as rap or hip hop or whatever, but since that's all anyone hears on the radio I have to defend/explain the difference EVERYTIME i tell someone I produce hip hop music.

Crazy.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Anubis-Ra said:
Some of you are getting hip hop and rap confused. Do you honestly want all rap music to sound the same? I like to hear all kinds of different rap music, but not just one aspect. It gets boring. Who are we to say what is real hip hop or not when we didn't even start it??

study it's history. i'm not the know all of hip hop ( i enjoy learning about the history of hip hop) but when i was first introduce to the music, the graf, the dance i wanted to learn more so i went to learn where all this came from. alot of people in music know nothing before tupac (most dont even know tupac started as a dancer for digital underground) and yet they call what they make hip hop. how are you suppose to be apart of something and not know the history of it? trust and believe, study history and evolution and you'll discover the difference.

i find it funny that when lil jon started he's was doin the "happy" party records..the "i like them girls" records, records that where in the same vein of 2 live crew. If i'm not mistaken, three 6 mafia actually came with what's to be considered the first "crunk" song with tear da club..that style of music is nothing new in Tennesse with three 6, tomiskeemask, dj squeeky, tommy wright III. lil jon just incorperated his sounds (which he's stuck to the same clap and 808 since the beginning) and now you what's considered crunk. now my research is limited in this area, so there may be much correction needed in my comment, however this is what i've learned from those who've grown up listening to the old three 6 mixtapes,etc. so if anyone can clarify this matter, please share

but as i was mentioning. study history, you'll be suprised what you'll find and the relevance it has today. Peace.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
That's cool dude recognizes it for what it is. My comments before weren't meant to be taken as I know everything or this is how shit should be etc... i even made it clear in my first post. Very clear. this is my PERSONAL opinion and how I see it.

Peace

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
GRAFIK said:
the only thing that lil jon has said to be right, in this article he even tells the person who is interviewing him that his music IS NOT HIP HOP. So if your boy lil jon say's his music isnt hip hop then, what else do you people have to say!!!!!! NOTHING!!!! So categorize this shit as crunk music and i will be happy!

http://rap.about.com/od/crunk/a/liljoninterview.htm?iam=metaresults&terms=jon+talia

"His momma name him CLAY, I'ma call em CLAY!" Next!!!!!!! Lol!!!! aight i'm done, next subject-

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Lil Jon said:
So we kind of look at hip-hop as, you know, like Jay-Z. That's hip-hop to us. Then you got Crunk, like what we do. You got west coast, you got New Orleans bounce, you got all kind of different stuff, you got bass music. But that's how we kind of look at it. But hip-hop is really the main thing and all the little umbrellas are underneath it.

I'd never thought Lil Jon would explain what I've been trying to say for so long! I tried to say this in a thread some time ago and got bashed for being close minded.

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
^^^^^^What u posted is correct, and lil jon is correct. But some people try to exclude what lil jon does from hip hop altogether. Like they dont want to be associated with it at all. Lil jon is payin his respect to what hip hop started from in its original form, but it has evolved to other things also. Hip hop is the main thing and everything else falls under the umbrella... Also peep the people from New York scorning what we do quote...Dont overlook that b/c that shit is true...

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Simplicity is good but theres no denying that too much simplicity is boring as hell. I mean if he can walk in the studio and pop out 200 beats in one day that tells me hes making every beat the exact same way which is why so many of the beats sound the exact same. I think alot of mc's would sound better if they learned how to ride melodies along with kick and snare patterns lil John's melodies are like impossible to ride without hollerin or sounding corny I dont know why it seems like that but it just does, it could just be me I favor beats with strings and brass instruments that electric synthesizer noise (dont know the technical term for it) thats in like every lil john beat is annoying as hell. I liked a few of the beats he made though at least they get the clubs and hos crunk