New crazy comedy Beat Making show!

• beat this! voting starts in...
Battle Points: 27
Hello! Check out this youtube show "Dont Judge a Record by its Cover"... Its a show where we pick a vinyl record based on its crazy cover art, review it, sample it then make a beat on my MPC1000... Then my comedian brother does a funny freestyle

Please let me know what you think! Good or bad...

Please beware this is NSFW

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Welcome @Tarboosh Record but don't just join the ILL to plug your show, kick off your shoes, relax your feet and partake in our ILLustrious community.

Yes Ive just written up a little intro to myself on the intro page.... I plan on getting stuck in and getting involved, but as you probably guessed Im quite excited about my show hehe I just want everyone to see it

Im watching ep15 now, the halloween one.
Some constructive criticism. no hate, just my thoughts as I watch.
Its taken until 12 mins to get to the meat and potatoes, the intro was pretty convoluted and far longer than it needed to be IMO, what are your video engagement stats like?
Are people watching the whole videos? Im wondering if people might tune out before getting to the meat and potatoes of the video, I might be completely wrong, just thinking out loud.

Its an entertaining video, get a pair of scissors on the table to cut roaches so you dont have to burn the rough bit off. Im about halfway, gonna watch some more.

Dope beat man, works for me. Dope rhymes too, Im impressed.

Now Im going to the sampleflip to flip the latest sample

Last edited:
Im watching ep15 now, the halloween one.
Some constructive criticism. no hate, just my thoughts as I watch.
Its taken until 12 mins to get to the meat and potatoes, the intro was pretty convoluted and far longer than it needed to be IMO, what are your video engagement stats like?
Are people watching the whole videos? Im wondering if people might tune out before getting to the meat and potatoes of the video, I might be completely wrong, just thinking out loud.

Its an entertaining video, get a pair of scissors on the table to cut roaches so you dont have to burn the rough bit off. Im about halfway, gonna watch some more.

Dope beat man, works for me. Dope rhymes too, Im impressed.

Now Im going to the sampleflip to flip the latest sample
No please, contructive crit is defo what im here for!.... Ive chatted to my bro about this exact thing. I need to be way more brutal with the edit and chop out all the fraff, but its easier said than done hehe. I keep certain stuff in there bcos my bro mentions it in the freestyle at the end, but yeah, I still need to be better on the edit and make them shorter... i agree

THANKS for watching! really appreciate the feedback. Im editing the christmas episode now ready to drop for christmas day

No please, contructive crit is defo what im here for!.... Ive chatted to my bro about this exact thing. I need to be way more brutal with the edit and chop out all the fraff, but its easier said than done hehe. I keep certain stuff in there bcos my bro mentions it in the freestyle at the end, but yeah, I still need to be better on the edit and make them shorter... i agree

THANKS for watching! really appreciate the feedback. Im editing the christmas episode now ready to drop for christmas day
Ive subbed to your channel anyway so I should get notifications for your new stuff

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
YouTube is a motherfucker just like all Google products and their algorithm which changes all the time it seems.

My thoughts:
  • Know your audience. If it's for beatmakers, they most likely just want to hear some music. Get right to it.
  • The thumbnail is everything! It doesn't have to have tons of text and all that. Some channels just have a really nice picture of something. Make sure it's not clickbait and it's something that the viewer will actually see in the video.
  • Don't worry too much about effects and transitions. When first starting out, focus on just creating content that your viewers want. Kind of like a DJ at a party - you want to play what the people want. There were times I wanted to beat juggle or scratch at a party but I know everyone would look at me weird so I didn't.
  • Time is key. People today are fucking lazy and their attention span is next to nothing. So whether it's the overall video length, or the time it takes to get to the point of your video, always keep in mind attention spans.
  • My intent with the IllMuzik YT channel was to just make beat making tutorials and beats but I noticed I have a loyal following of viewers that want to see me do stuff with the MPC and JJOS. So I mainly do that now.
  • Check your YT analytics to see what people are watching. I did a video about J Dilla months ago and it still gets lots of views every day. As of this writing it's around 7k views! My biggest one is "How to sample" - almost 30k views! (Just had to throw that in there, I'm proud of myself for that one.) So doing something based around someone famous helps.
  • So much more but I'm tired of typing.

YouTube is a motherfucker just like all Google products and their algorithm which changes all the time it seems.

My thoughts:
  • Know your audience. If it's for beatmakers, they most likely just want to hear some music. Get right to it.
  • The thumbnail is everything! It doesn't have to have tons of text and all that. Some channels just have a really nice picture of something. Make sure it's not clickbait and it's something that the viewer will actually see in the video.
  • Don't worry too much about effects and transitions. When first starting out, focus on just creating content that your viewers want. Kind of like a DJ at a party - you want to play what the people want. There were times I wanted to beat juggle or scratch at a party but I know everyone would look at me weird so I didn't.
  • Time is key. People today are fucking lazy and their attention span is next to nothing. So whether it's the overall video length, or the time it takes to get to the point of your video, always keep in mind attention spans.
  • My intent with the IllMuzik YT channel was to just make beat making tutorials and beats but I noticed I have a loyal following of viewers that want to see me do stuff with the MPC and JJOS. So I mainly do that now.
  • Check your YT analytics to see what people are watching. I did a video about J Dilla months ago and it still gets lots of views every day. As of this writing it's around 7k views! My biggest one is "How to sample" - almost 30k views! (Just had to throw that in there, I'm proud of myself for that one.) So doing something based around someone famous helps.

Everything you note is worthy and stuff ive looked into. As for the audience of these videos, Im not entirely sure tbh... In a perfect world I would like to attract viewers that collect vinyl or make beats or like comedy/hip hop ‍♂️
The main inspiration for this show was a youtube show called Red Letter Media where they find old 80s vhs tapes of bad movies, review the cover art, watch and review (take the piss) out of it... Its a great show that I love watching. their episodes are up to 30/40 minutes long...
Anyways, I have a job and im not doing this for money or anything like that, but i really enjoy making them with my bro and feel there could well be an audience for it if we just stick to being ourselves and doing what we enjoy naturally... bcos theres not much like our show that ive seen out there (theres lots of album review shows/beatmaking shows/comedy shows... but we got it all in one)... One thing i have felt is that theyre way too long to get to the point... and I'll defo be working on that.

Many thanks for the feedback bro!

My thoughts:
did you watch the show...? Whats your youtube so i can check it out... Our highest viewed vid is over 70k but its for a DJ set we filmed of the famous DJ Koco

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah that's cool. If you're just doing it for fun, that's fine too. I see a lot of people trying to make a career out of it but that's really hard. I think it's something like 90% of the YT recommendations are for the top 1% of Youtubers. So someone like Mr Beast or Pewdiepie get tons of views because it's a vicious circle.

But doing it for fun is good too. Some people just want to share and have fun. But yeah getting to the point is crucial. One trick is to also show your main segment right at the beginning like a preview, then go into your video. Like saying to your viewers, "Hey this is what to expect in this video which I'll show later on".

Oh ya, it's in my sig.