Music is getting worse

• beat this! voting starts in...

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 6
This is the argument however its no longer one that works.

As people just listen to whatever is there and assume its good.

Out of tune 808s and ironically out of tune autotune. Over some ripped.youtube beat which is just a rip of 50 other beats

People will say they listen to what is good, then go load up Baby Lil Mumble Nitty
Why would you care what "people" say is good? I don't get that part.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 6
I dont think we did get rid of the gatekeepers, the whole Diddy saga showed that.
Plus the radio stations that are all owned by the same people play what they want to play and have done since the early 2000's.
There are gatekeepers for success in the music business but that is a slightly different topic imho.

The gatekeepers for publishing music are almost not there anymore. Everyone can publish their shit worldwide and it shows.

There are gatekeepers for success in the music business but that is a slightly different topic imho.

The gatekeepers for publishing music are almost not there anymore. Everyone can publish their shit worldwide and it shows.
There are two routes in the music business, independent or under a label.
As an independent you have to have a large amount of money upfront, you need to be able to fund yourself.

Under label, you will get an advance, and this advance is used to pay for everything, touring, studio sessions, entourages, promotion, distribution. You are basically given a loan to do all the things you would have to do as an independent, you will have help because of people already knowing people. But you sacrifice a large chunk of your earning potential to the label, to first repay the "loan" from royalties, before you ever see any profit.

If you go independent the stakes are a lot higher, as its your own money at stake. Its a hard graft, with promotion too, but the rewards are all yours for the taking.
Its possible, technology has opened things up for anybody with the talent and business mind to make a success of it.
Like all things, you get out what you put in to it. Believe in yourself, work hard to get to a level that you can honestly believe in yourself, then fucking go for it. Thats my advice to anybody who wishes to be successful in anything. Success doesn't fall from the sky and land in your lap, you have to work fucking hard for it, and that's why not everybody is successful, success comes after many failures that make most people give up trying.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 590
However, publishers will still exist as they're essentially the "record labels" of your musical copyright - whilst record labels push sales, publishers push plays and synchronisation; getting your songs placed in movies etc.

Personally I would still very much love a record/publishing/sync deal.

However, publishers will still exist as they're essentially the "record labels" of your musical copyright - whilst record labels push sales, publishers push plays and synchronisation; getting your songs placed in movies etc.

Personally I would still very much love a record/publishing/sync deal.
I'm with you to be honest, firstly because I'll never have the money needed to be independent, as long as you are meticulous with the contract, weed out all the cons, cover your arse, then the pros that come from having the help from the people that get shit heard and placed can be invaluable. You just have to go in with your eyes wide open to how shady the music biz is and has always been, cover your bases, do your due diligence and reap the rewards that way. Much less personal work, just not enough hours in the day at my old age.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 590
I'm with you to be honest, firstly because I'll never have the money needed to be independent, as long as you are meticulous with the contract, weed out all the cons, cover your arse, then the pros that come from having the help from the people that get shit heard and placed can be invaluable. You just have to go in with your eyes wide open to how shady the music biz is and has always been, cover your bases, do your due diligence and reap the rewards that way. Much less personal work, just not enough hours in the day at my old age.
Exactly this, my brother.

Unfortunately many don't know the ins and outs, either way - that goes for the one who are all "you don't need them" and the blinded by the lights ones.

Which, isn't their fault either, probably a tonne of nonsense on YouTube and likely only just recent times starting to get any valuable shit - and even then they probably won't be able to discern what is legit, and opt for their favorite shocked youtuber clickbait.

But yeah otherwise, the general musician won't know any of this until they either get stung the first time or are lucky enough to be in contact or circles with those in the know. Same was for me.

And I guess now illiens get access to the knowledge through us and a few others.