MPC5000 looks awesome!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I have to agree with Ash! The sound quality of converting from 24 bit to 16 bit is major for the producers who want to keep that "fattness". If it didn't mean anything sound wise it would have never been in the game! SIMPLE!

I admit the the 4k is the Grandaddy of the all but my MPC2k fully blow'd out was monster when it was my center piece. That f'n screen that goes out every year of so is trash though. That's probably why it's collecting dust. Not to mention when you fuck with software it's just a controller and IMO there are a lot better controllers for a lot less money than an MP.

I haven't fukk'd with Akai in a minute but I have to admit that MPD32 is looking really really nice. I just may have to cop that. It has the major features of the MPC with out the bulk and shit I don't need since I fukz with software adn they added note repeat....WHAT? Yeah I'm cop'n it!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I'll get it. It looks throwed to me. 24bit is for mixing headroom. It's all going to 16bit 44.1 anyway or even lower mp3 quality.

lol...24bit is for mixing headroom...

hey welcome to the illmuzik forum!

hmm lets see so far

-my mpc has 8 outs, studio has 24 io inline console + converters (8 track features are so budget)
-Ive spennt cash on synths worth the same as the 5k but warez plugs also really sound good!
-my 2kxl's are 16/44khz/same engine as ever and i should pay 3500 for that (s2000 engine...akai/numark/alesis is dying in laughter)
fx....come on, i have plenty hardware available but on the budget side...a lexi mpx100 is a tenfold better then any fx found on any akai sampler.
- i dont step edit on the mpc, dont want to and never will because we have pc/mac for
this and its really not that hard to live without.

anyone buying this instead of a 4k (second hand or not) from now is a fool in my book, some rediculous shit lol. Dont want a 4k then grab the mpk49 or mpd32 and rack up a emu e4xt, z8 or a dope soundcard and you wont feel ripped off when you get the hang of it.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
yea after i red the specs i was very dissapointed.. Im either gonna stay where Im at with the XL or get a 4000, I thought they were gonna come harder.. and the asking price is $3500 that shit is NOT worth that much... damn i went from excitement to disaapointment

either way keep in mind all these gear specs dont mean shit if u dont know how to make beats.....

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Ash is right on. I thought it was a big let down, I was expecting the new 4000, it's just a 2500 with some more features. No 24bit is a killer, almost all sample libraries are now 24bit/44.1, so you'd still have to waste time converting samples to load into it. 192mb memory is a joke, I got 128mb in my MPC1000 and I got that eight years ago.
The video on there is pretty lame, it sounded like some 1982 human league type beat. It did make me turn on my 1000 and tap a beat though, that's a good thing. I just posted that joint up in the production videos.
My last comment is that the Linn Drum II looks doper + no matter what MPC you got, it's about the person, not the gear.

MPCaddict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what yall said was exactly what I said in my post earlier on page 1 LOL. this thing is a piece of shit compared to the 4k. My 4K should be coming next week.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
who cares about the memory it has a HARD DRIVE. You wont need to store things in ram anymore. Also I am cool with 16bit 44.1 I take my drums down to 12bit often to get them grungy. So you guys are nuts. I am a software guy so its funny that I am defending the new MPC lol.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Overall, Im not that impressed BUT! this is definately a good sign for those who love their external hardware...Im almost willing to bet money that this will be the last generation AKAI mpc though. Im not even looking for ROLAND to respond but who knows? They might just break out with a MV-9900...lol.

MOF

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
sigh... corny ass companies... u guys can thank Roger Linn and Dave Smith for this "thing." yep, that "BoomChik" thingy that theyve created has akai, numark... whoever's comin out with this runnin to bring it out... ive been sayin all along, i need more knobs to twist up samples and stuff, then 2 different versions of the BoomChik come out, and NOW this!!! they couldve BEEN came out with this, but they gave us just different versions of the base MPC... nothin special... now look, an MPC with synths, percussion, samples and knobs... KISS MY ASS AKAI/NUMARK... RS fo' LIFE!!!

da relic

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Disappointing.
It's supposed to be a step-up from the 4000, but what the fuck happened?
No color LCD screen? It is 2008 right?
I would much rather prefer the MV8800.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
who cares about the memory it has a HARD DRIVE. You wont need to store things in ram anymore. Also I am cool with 16bit 44.1 I take my drums down to 12bit often to get them grungy. So you guys are nuts. I am a software guy so its funny that I am defending the new MPC lol.

ram matters ALOT my dude ... u need ram to run big sample sets .. I have piano, rhodes, synth, and even some big drum libararies that can clean out my ram ... and i have 512mb..... your samples are stored in ram while u are using them .. not the hard drive .. in ther words.. with the mpc 5k u can only USE 192mb worth of sounds in a session. Thats how mpc's work .. so yes ram is important i dont know where u are getting your information from. Its cool if all u load is drum samples and vinyl clips, but if u are using any type of large keygrouped programs u can easily run out FAST. i have several instrument programs that are over 100mb in size ... if i loaded 2 on the mp 5k, that would leave me no room for drums lol.. i autoload about 100mb of drums into the mp evrytime it turns on .. with the 5k thats half my ram gone right away

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
"ram matters ALOT my dude ."

The 5000 works like Gigastudio and Kontakt, they load a second of the start of each sample in the ram and then stream the rest off the HD. So it is not as important as it used to be.

my bad .. i stand corrected

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yall crazy!!! $3500 for this? virtual analog (LOL) synth is wack. hell no!
that price wont stay there for long... all machines come out with inflated prices at 1st... might be only $200 difference between this and the 2500s and 4000s.

da relic

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
3500$ does seem a bit steep. imagine what kind of computer you could put together for that amount of $$. hey drama ive had my mpc2k since 99' and the screen is still good as when it was new. man........... i hope i didnt just jinx myself.. hahaha . . i really aint feeling all these new gidgets, gadjets. seems like nowadays they are always trying to blend different gear together. synth/sampler/recorder and like many of you thought this takes away from a single piece that would be dedicated to one function. this makes me want to break out my asr 10 and atari 2600 in revolt to a dumbing down of a technology. i havent seen a decent drum machine come out since the 505. wheres the love,,,,,, look into your pockets !

FIREdevil.gif
eldiablo

MPCaddict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well sweetwater.com have them on pre-order for $2500.

Still, at that price, you could get a 4k and a real analog synth and still have some money left for records.

Fuck the new 5k. Cheap, plastic looking, 16-bit sounding piece of crap. haha

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
The 5000 works like Gigastudio and Kontakt, they load a second of the start of each sample in the ram and then stream the rest off the HD. So it is not as important as it used to be.

I don't think the 5000 allows you to trigger samples from hard disk, otherwise they would have said it in the press release.
The 5000 does have an eight track recorder which streams from hard disk (similiar to a roland vs or korg d series recorder), however normally if you want to manually trigger samples on an MPC (not just play them back from beginning to end), you can only trigger from what's loaded in ram.
As far as Kontakt, you have an option for each sample to trigger from ram or harddisk. This makes sense. I think it would be highly inefficient to trigger the start of a sample in ram and the rest from the HD.
I understand you work in the business, however I think this is inaccurate info.