It's official.........

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Sorry to hear about that Krazy, hopefully the new rig will hold strong.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
Sorry to hear about that Krazy, hopefully the new rig will hold strong.
So far so good. I'd be more pissed if I lost all my work again but i still have all my plugs and beats on externals I did lose the whole groove 3 tut and some other nice tutorials but thats cool.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yea, this post is pretty ignorant. Go in to ANY major recording studio and see what machine they are running, its a mac every time.

The thread is a great topic of discussion until someone turns it into something it's not. The second sentence is true but it's that bandwagon shit again, AND most of us here don't have, or plan on building a 'major recording studio'. I mean in that case we should all have million dollar homes and a few exotic cars like major recording studio owners have as well.

I'm neither Mac or PC, I say get whats best for you and the way you work. I understand the idea of obtaining the best of everything and doing what 'the big boys do' but I also understand that you'd look mighty stupid with a 2 million dollar bugatti veyron parked in front of your double wide trailer.

Common sense just makes sense.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ha,

@Dac I agree with you. My point was simply that buying a mac is not ONLY for graphic designers nor is it a waste of money at all. But it is certainly not for everyone. In fact how many times have I talked you OUT of buying a mac? I can think of 4 or 5 times. You are the perfect example of someone who needs to stay on windows. Until of course you switch to Live or Reason for beating making then it is time to move! :)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Dac, its dead easy..

The reason pro's use mac is because they're proven to be reliable, OSX and Logic on mac is a system im reassured with that it will not fail when recording. There is nothing worse then having a customer re-record a perfect session because the daw failed, stopped working etc and this is why its a no brainer for anyone in the bizz.

The performance isnt comparable either which has nothing to do with hardware but with coreaudio. For example, recording 24 channels through logic (ssl alphalink) + full on monitor mix with 1ms latency isnt possible (afaik) through windows.

Again, this isnt concerning anyone on this site since no one is recording bands for a living, but if you're out to get something reliable in the first place then its tough to get around those facts. There are some good systems to run on windows but they run on propietary systems like pyramix, samplitude or sadie which are really ffin expensive and are basicaly mastering daws that untill recently started to venture into the mix/recording domain (ergo, not there yet).

I work on either for years but if i have to do recording instead of production then its osx all the way. Production-wise im 80% on windows, either mac bootcamp or a $400 dell studio laptop not even using an interface (meaning im not using any hardware). When using hardware im using Logic because its still the best when using midi. Personaly i'd say that quality wise the hardware route still sounds best but production wise its just different than pure itb, not better because your approach to making a track is different.
Also, i think producing itb doesnt matter at all if its mac or win...reason or live runs just as well on either since latency isnt much of an issue here.

Also, the million dollar studios are a thing of the past, theres only a few that can remain succesfull to justify the value of gear they have, most gone bankrupt over the last few years.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
@ Formant - I rarely get a chance at giving dp shit anymore so every chance I do get, I dive in head first! lol...but you're right, i'll let it rest in peace :)).

@dp - I'm not 100 % PC yet but I must admit, PC does fit my needs a lot better than Mac. So yeah, you're right :))

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
damm sorry for ya lost been there before but not because of my pc cuz of my hard drive!
the pet cat playing with my wires and nock my hard drive over and bammm everything gone
its no fun loosing material
as for the mac they are just so damm pricey ive seen a macbook pro i was looking at and i woud have to pay 2000$ for it and for what it has inside i have the same in my pc with no problems and a whole lot cheaper too! and i just upgrade my ram to 8gigs as well! hopefully everything works out best thing is to probably just build a sick as computer but if u gonna doing with mac u better have tons of $$$
nothing against mac i would luv to have one but for them prices i can get the same specs out of my pc!
one thing too that also helps is try to have a pc just for music and one for the net
im running windows7 i5 dual core processor 3.65ghz or something with 8 gigs of ram and i use reason6 recycle soundfourge and have no problems and im running lots of the new reason RE'S as well and im all good!!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Mac pros are the same price as an equivalent PC. The problem is that no one knows how to properly compare them.

No theyre not, simpy because the mac pros havent been updated since 2010 meaning those parts have been a lot cheaper lately and also that a lot of parts are much better.

They nailed it with the 12core being that you could! build a 12core for cheaper but the downside is that a hackintosh wont support all the hardware on the motherboard. This isnt a big deal for a daw imo as the way to go around it is to use express card alternatives that are supported by OSX. What could be a big deal is that a 12core Mac Pro is still a lot more silent but afaik, those that buy a 12core have a machine room outside the controlroom...

Here's a great info page on compatible parts
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.nl/search/label/CustoMac

Now for current Mac pro in apple store

• One 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processor
  • 32GB (4x8GB)
  • 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
  • ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

Thats the biggest setup possible @ $3974 when checking the options on the quadcore model.

Hackintosh alternative

- EVGA GTX 680
- Gigabyte G1 Assasin 1366 x58
- Intel XEON X5680 Westmere
- 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
- Corsair H60 hydro cpu cooler
- Corsair AF120 fan
- Corsair Graphite 600T case
- Seagate Barracuda 1Tb

- Corsair AX750

total
- $2974,93 (all parts newegg)

I dont think anyone here is going to need a setup like this and ofc, an ssd is much better but these are always options you can decide on. Were not running ssd's in our mac pro and for audio/daw its fine honestly. You dont need 32GB either, or even 16GB (imo), we've got 16 in there and never seen osx using it so 8Gb is more than sufficient.

- EVGA GTX 560 Ti
- Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
- Intel i7-3930k 3.2Ghz six core 12mb Cache
- 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
- Corsair H60 hydro cpu cooler
- Corsair AF120 fan
- Corsair Graphite 600T case
- Seagate Barracuda 1Tb

- Corsair AX750

Total
$1624,92 (newegg)

If you already have the budget for a mac pro you could toss in the SSD and a 3930X instead (i7-980x are discontinued). If you dont care about gaming or you pick a cheaper videocard so what it comes down to is the options you want which are tied to those being compatible under osx. For the hackintosh build above i didnt add wifi and dvd because...whatever...imo not so relevant for the example.

just common sense :)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Those parts are a bit different and you forgot OSX, ilife and other costs. Once you get everything right they are very close in price.

Yeah the parts are different because no one makes apple mlb's except apple, mind you, those are from 2010 and current 2011/1366 boards perform better. That G1 assassin will give you a better performance than the 2010 mlb in the mac pro, aside from the 12core ofc. Both builds use the same x5860 and yeah even the ram could be different but again, not really relevant..

Whats not in there ? Wifi module is cheap as hell, dont get me started on dvd drives, i have and probably most other have a retail osx. Kb/mouse ? I even put in an more expensive gpu which isnt even relevant for a daw so the difference can be bigger than $1000. Heck, screw the corsair case, ive seen mac pro cases go for less

ilife ?!?! seriously...gtfo... were talking about a daw here

The second list isnt based on the x5680 indeed, simply because i dont think its neccesary for producers here to run such a machine unless youre going to do heavy graphics rendering or video/film editing stuff. im pointing out what is common usage for the average user here which is minimum hi quality channel count for which the 3930k/3960x is more than plenty. Its faster than an imac and cheaper than a mac pro and runs osx. I mean, whats key about apple is osx imo, not as much the hardware and for the things hiphop producers use i think a mac pro is already to much performance wasted... heck most of us would be happy to run osx on a 2700k especialy in regards to consumer level applications (opposed to business level applications, mind you, Logic only started using 6/8/12cores correctly on their last update).

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
well one of ya show me a mac labtop thats cheaper and better then mines and war i can run reason 6 smoothly with all my RE'S please i would luv to upgrade my set up i need something that affordable but yet run smooth!! thanx ya cuz evertime i look at a macbook pro them prices's shoot up but also saw a good point that was made from format that there was no wifi added on or a dvd writer added on so i didnt think that would make a huge difference but if i could get one that is cheap with at least a cd writer it would be nice wifi well would be nice but then again i just want it for music purposes!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^^Yep... Although you get some good power with them, you can only do so much to them....

I would go the desktop route, unless you're doing some performances and need to travel..

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
u guys make me feel like im buyin a new damn car... not to mention that term "financing is available" is on the site... sigh... too many fukkin numbers for me to digest.. lol

da relic

Most macbooks upgrades are marginal, just get the previous model whenn they go on sale

funny u said that, since thats the main reason im gettin one.. lol

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827023-REG/Apple_MD318LL_A_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

sorry for the double post... hit the wrong button.

da relic

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.