how to make garbage beats

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I'm doin the stanky leg

T

The Arkitekt

Nothing wrong with 808's at all, im listening to a song with them right now. In fact I layer my kicks wit an 808 sometimes. Just that every one of these "pop" songs use 808's and the same style synths, (in every song!!)... they all sound the same!!!!

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
It's funny how they use the 808's and call them annoying.....I guess Planet Rock was annoying. I guess hip-hop tracks made then were annoying.

808's are the beginning of hip-hop. Maybe a little repetitive, but it is what it is...
actually break downs off of albums spun back and forth was the begining...Planet Rock was like 82-83...by then they was fuckin with synthesizers and beat machines.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i think the problem is that people spend all of their time talking about hip hop being this, hip hop being that. if people would just listen to what they liked, and not listened to what they don't like, and just STFU and keep it moving, it wouldn't be a problem. back in the day, if you didn't like X-Clan, you just didn't listen to that shit, and kept it moving. if you didn't like Stetsosonic, you didn't listen to it.

nowadays, music is so accessible, and the internet is here for mfs to complain about the shit they like, or don't like. back in the day, if you didn't like something, you told "your crew" you weren't feeling it, and that was about it. people from up north couldn't talk about what was going on in ATL (at least not where mfs in ATL could hear what they had to say) so it didn't matter. it still doesn't matter if you ask me, but we have access to each other now so that's where the "hate" comes in.

whether it's "hate" or not, if this was '81, the mfs that don't like something now, wouldn't have liked it then, wouldn't have bought it, and that would have been the end of it. no debate.

just my .02

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
It's funny how they use the 808's and call them annoying.....I guess Planet Rock was annoying. I guess hip-hop tracks made then were annoying.

808's are the beginning of hip-hop. Maybe a little repetitive, but it is what it is...

To be honest, when these cats 35 and below(some a lil older) talk about "real hip hop" they're actually referring to the 90's era. That's why I let that b.s go in one ear and out of the other. That's why Grand Master Flash and them don't stand up for the 90's era of hip hop. These same dudes screaming "90's golden era was real hip hop" totally dissed them old heads. Similar to the way they are getting dismissed now. I can't remember the exact quote but Grand basically said "fuck them 90's dudes" in an interview because they never respected those who came before them and they forgot about them. They didn't call on them to link up with on there new records, basically closed the door on the fore fathers of the whole game. How many 90's era hip hop records featured anybody from the 80's? If any, you can count them on one hand......so I let 'em blab but they ain't sayin' nuttin'!

You're exactly right....it all started with the 808's!

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
you're exactly right....it all started with the 808's!
it aint start wit no goddamn 808's! Its started wit records fool(spinning back and fourth catching the breakbeat, and thats before the grandmaster flash era, that started with the kool herc and grand wizard theodore era)...any hip hopper with sense knows that. See most of you need to humble yourself and say you dont know instead of talking shit you dont know...i dont even know why i'm talking to you smart dumb mufuckas...you dont listen no way. From what i read alot of you guys know more about music theory than the history. It started with the dj. I dont wanna have to say it again ldb (lil dumbass boi) lmao

P.S. THE GOLDEN ERA ONLY REFERS TO THE QUALITY OF MUSIC BACK THEN THATS IT WHICH INDEED WAS A STEP UP FROM JUST CATCHING BREAKBEATS, THE RHYME STYLES EVEN ELEVATED FROM THE 80'S TO THE 90'S. THE JUICE CREW HAD ARTIST FROM THE 80'S THAT CONTINUED TO MAKE HITS IN THE 90'S. OH YEAH...MARLEY MARL IS THE KING OF THE GOLDEN ERA.

20 YEARS FROM NOW YOU GUYS CAN SCHOOL THE YOUNGSTERS ON SOULJA BOI AND LIL WAYNE.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
It's all good...to each his own. Die hard hip hop heads will continue to "rag" on the south. The hate has spread World Wide. Shit, if we did what yall do then we wouldn't have our own brand. We mimic'd the east coast and the west coast along time, we weren't excepted then either. I can live with that, fuck it. Maybe this thing will come back full circle and the East Coast will be back on top of the food chain again. Hell, the East Coast hated on the West Coast when they took shit over. Two dudes even got killed over it. Shit hasn't happen down south yet....probably won't either. No coastal beef down here. I guess hating on other coast music just isn't in us. We've embraced everything that came before us.

We just produce "simple" music, smoke on hay, hit the clubs hard and spend money....and we actually "dance" while at these clubs too instead of "mean mugging" each other or spitting rhymes that only we can decipher while rocking "timbos and hoodies".....lol
What? Are you contradicting yourself to seem ironic or...?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
it aint start wit no goddamn 808's! Its started wit records fool(spinning back and fourth catching the breakbeat, and thats before the grandmaster flash era, that started with the kool herc and grand wizard theodore era)...any hip hopper with sense knows that. See most of you need to humble yourself and say you dont know instead of talking shit you dont know...i dont even know why i'm talking to you smart dumb mufuckas...you dont listen no way. From what i read alot of you guys know more about music theory than the history. It started with the dj. I dont wanna have to say it again ldb (lil dumbass boi) lmao

P.S. THE GOLDEN ERA ONLY REFERS TO THE QUALITY OF MUSIC BACK THEN THATS IT WHICH INDEED WAS A STEP UP FROM JUST CATCHING BREAKBEATS, THE RHYME STYLES EVEN ELEVATED FROM THE 80'S TO THE 90'S. THE JUICE CREW HAD ARTIST FROM THE 80'S THAT CONTINUED TO MAKE HITS IN THE 90'S. OH YEAH...MARLEY MARL IS THE KING OF THE GOLDEN ERA.

20 YEARS FROM NOW YOU GUYS CAN SCHOOL THE YOUNGSTERS ON SOULJA BOI AND LIL WAYNE.

Calm yo twiddly D twiddly dumb ass down and go take some meds...it's obvious you pop massive amounts of pills! Chew one of those downers "stat"!

We all know about dj's and breaks Simple Simon, but when dudes actually started laying down there own drums it was the 808's that they started with first. Samplers and MPC hadn't been thought about, from there it was actually sampling drums from records. Of course that didn't happen until the drum sample machines themselves jumped off.

Oh yeah....here's your daily ))))FUCK U(((( now go wrap ya lipz around an M16 barrel or something Jeffrey aka "the real soulja boy".

The Linn LM-1 Drum Computer (released in 1980, and expensive at $4,999) was the first drum machine to use digital samples. Nobody in hip hop fucked with that....nobody could afford it!

The famous Roland TR-808 was also launched in 1980. At the time it was received with little fanfare, as it did not have digitally sampled sounds; drum machines using digital samples were much more popular. In time, though, the TR-808, along with its successor, the TR-909 (released in 1983), would become a fixture of the burgeoning underground dance, techno, and hip-hop genres, mainly because of its low cost (relative to that of the Linn machines)

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Its started wit records fool(spinning back and fourth catching the breakbeat, and thats before the grandmaster flash era, that started with the kool herc and grand wizard theodore era)...any hip hopper with sense knows that.

I guess yo bitch ass is SENSLESS THEN!

Facts "Jizzle in my pants" Jeffrey Williams!

Grandmaster Flash, one of hip-hop's founding fathers and the creator of the Quick Mix, was the first person to change the arrangements of songs by using duplicate copies of records and manually editing/repeating the climatic part (later called the "break") by rubbing the record back and forth, a technique later called "scratching". His deejaying style caught fire in the Bronx (and the world) and helped to propel DJs such as Funkmaster Flex, Grand Wizard Theodore, Kid Capri, DJ Scribble, Jazzy Jeff, Jam Master Jay, Q Bert, the Scratch Pickles, Cash Money, and many others, to stardom. Flash was the first to debut trick deejaying skills like mixing records behind his back or beneath tables.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
i guess yo bitch ass is sensless then!

Facts "jizzle in my pants" jeffrey williams!

Grandmaster flash, one of hip-hop's founding fathers and the creator of the quick mix, was the first person to change the arrangements of songs by using duplicate copies of records and manually editing/repeating the climatic part (later called the "break") by rubbing the record back and forth, a technique later called "scratching". His deejaying style caught fire in the bronx (and the world) and helped to propel djs such as funkmaster flex, grand wizard theodore, kid capri, dj scribble, jazzy jeff, jam master jay, q bert, the scratch pickles, cash money, and many others, to stardom. Flash was the first to debut trick deejaying skills like mixing records behind his back or beneath tables.
kool herc was the originator idiot!

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
i guess yo bitch ass is sensless then!

Facts "jizzle in my pants" jeffrey williams!

Grandmaster flash, one of hip-hop's founding fathers and the creator of the quick mix, was the first person to change the arrangements of songs by using duplicate copies of records and manually editing/repeating the climatic part (later called the "break") by rubbing the record back and forth, a technique later called "scratching". His deejaying style caught fire in the bronx (and the world) and helped to propel djs such as funkmaster flex, grand wizard theodore, kid capri, dj scribble, jazzy jeff, jam master jay, q bert, the scratch pickles, cash money, and many others, to stardom. Flash was the first to debut trick deejaying skills like mixing records behind his back or beneath tables.
this shit sounds copied and pasted...quit plagerizing fool...lmao! Mi6 barrel...lmao...you a str8 ^^^cornball...lmao

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
^^^^ lol.....if it's fact it's fact rooty tooty ( u know the rest )

I don't claim to know it all...but one things for certain....U SURE AS FUCK DON'T! U type like yo bitch ass was in the Bronx at the time...lol...

Bitch you read or heard the history like most of us so what the fuck are u saying?

The only thing Kool started was Djing in the Park in the Bronx Simon. He just played music, block party type shit.
She wasn't even hip hop back then.....

Oh but don't take my word for it! Listen to the teacher......http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh1t7Xwhk6l55Aolt2

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
Kool herc invented spinning breaks, the jury is still out on whether or not it was grand master flash or grandwizard theodore that actually invented scratching. Edison didn't really invent the lightbulb and blondie invented hip hop...now pipe down and keep it civilized. This discussion has been done to death. Let's try to salvage it anyway...if not I'm closing this bitch like circuit city.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
To be honest, when these cats 35 and below(some a lil older) talk about "real hip hop" they're actually referring to the 90's era. That's why I let that b.s go in one ear and out of the other. That's why Grand Master Flash and them don't stand up for the 90's era of hip hop. These same dudes screaming "90's golden era was real hip hop" totally dissed them old heads. Similar to the way they are getting dismissed now. I can't remember the exact quote but Grand basically said "fuck them 90's dudes" in an interview because they never respected those who came before them and they forgot about them. They didn't call on them to link up with on there new records, basically closed the door on the fore fathers of the whole game. How many 90's era hip hop records featured anybody from the 80's? If any, you can count them on one hand......so I let 'em blab but they ain't sayin' nuttin'!

You're exactly right....it all started with the 808's!

808's were PART of the beginning.... Whether you think the 90's was the golden era is simply a matter of opinion.....

By the way...the beat in that video was corny...but there's like 100 dirty south dudes within a 25 mile radius from here who would pay for that beat...so call it what you want....but it is WHAT'S HOT RIGHT NOW....

And this is coming from a dude who still has 90's hip hop in heavy rotation in the car.....and will probably have it til I die....