HD Rig

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
as far as near fields go, Formant and I where actually discussing that in another thread.

Personally I am very partial to the Focals. You could pick up a pair of CMS65's for like $1600 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMS65/

The three main studios I work at have Focals, NS10, and JBL's. At home I have Event 20/20 Bas's (the older models not the reissue) that I love. But if I could just pick one it would be Focals hands down.

I'd go with the Focal Solo instead of the cms, heard they had quite some issues with that serie. If you get the chance, listen to some Neumann KH120's, they're pretty neutral/flat. I cant compare em to the o300's but they still articulate everything very clear. Though im saying this in regards to the small room. If you get a bigger room(basement) you might look at 10" nearfields instead, you go up quite a bit moneywise but room+better nearfields is half the job :)

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yea if the solo's are in the budget go for them!

Focal was always a strange company to deal with. Mainly since they are french they take like 3-4 months off completely every year. So if you are out of stock of monitors or if there are any issues to be dealt with then you have to wait a few months. But it is cool that the government mandates long vacation!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^ building a studio isnt just buying the gear, in fact, a studio is never finished lol. I see a lot of people improving their studio but they hardly got their bases correct, lots of ways to go around it but if you can get base right you wont need much "improving" :)

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
oh no doubt, me and my uncle are thinkin about framing it out, its mad dry, so no leaks and shit. just the build of it is gonna be crazy, im debating if i want to frame it out, or look for a building, or stay in my small room...i have choices, just exploring...

oh BTW Relic, me and the boogie man blaze down there often!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
oh no doubt, me and my uncle are thinkin about framing it out, its mad dry, so no leaks and shit. just the build of it is gonna be crazy, im debating if i want to frame it out, or look for a building, or stay in my small room...i have choices, just exploring...

oh BTW Relic, me and the boogie man blaze down there often!

I suggest that u NOT do that unless you're going to get proper ventilation down there. And I'm not talking ventilation for your equipment...it's for you and your health. Basements are notorius for having unhealthy gases. You'll start developing health issues that creep up you slowly. You'll be sick as a dog and won't know why. Could even cause long term damage.

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
I suggest that u NOT do that unless you're going to get proper ventilation down there. And I'm not talking ventilation for your equipment...it's for you and your health. Basements are notorius for having unhealthy gases. You'll start developing health issues that creep up you slowly. You'll be sick as a dog and won't know why. Could even cause long term damage.

well thanks for that concern, but its pretty well vented down there, i just showed the side im thinkin of building on, im well aware of all the issues of buildin anything sublevel. good lookin out though!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
well thanks for that concern, but its pretty well vented down there, i just showed the side im thinkin of building on, im well aware of all the issues of buildin anything sublevel. good lookin out though!

U may THINK it's ok but trust me....grab one of these to make sure https://homeradontest.com/order_radon_test_kit.php. They're not expensive! I had issues at my last home and it came with a totally finished basement. 3 Bedrooms,2nd kitchen and a bathroom down there. I basically lived down there 8 to 12 hours a day for two years. Developed a nasty dry cough that took several months after moving to get rid of. Still don't know what the long term effects of it will be. Be safe not sorry!

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
ok imma stay in the small room for a while build a cloud type RFZ in my room. i had it scoped, and yeah few more bass traps and some joints from the ceiling, and i should be good,on the room. Now with all this AES hoop la jumpin around(pt 10, new HD stuff,blah blah blah) imma wait and see what jumps out, i do know imma go with the Mackie MCU with 2 extenders, Im gonna be recording a Live reggae bands next album in january, should be fun, my wife is excited...lol as for the HD rig lets see what avid drops, if nothing i can afford, ill go RME with 2 Focusrite OctoPre MKII...as for the monitors, A7x and Focals have been the topic of discuss, i see they released the Events 20/20bas,.. now Mics and Pres...Still kickin this mule around, like i said,i have a GAP-73 nice joint too, but this is where i wanna get a tube i guess since i have a solid state pre...Im gonna have to stay around 1500.00 bucks for this and 1500.00 for mic, or get some modded mics...talk to me yall! lol thanks

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Honestly dude, stick with PT as a daw, get a mac and a really nice i/o. Are you going to record those bands mobile or in your studio ? You can focus on your future jobs and buy accordingly but you can also rent things you need for rare events. Like get the bases covered then look where to rent an additional 8pre and mic's. Do get some mics though but dont overdo it if your recordingroom isnt that suitable. Like we had some brainstorming this weekend regarding our studio and how relevant it is to have one when looking at customers worthy to exploit the room. Besides other exploits we have 4-5 bands with a good budget to record, mix an album in a year. But for those occasions we could also just rent a suitable studio, we already rent stuff on various cases because you simply cant buy everything lol.

Also, i like madi a lot, its adaptive, good cable lengths and less cables! I think that right now its safe to say that SSL has hit the price/performance top. There's always better but you wont get that much i/o with that quality for the price of the alphalink at this moment. I'd add one 8pre indeed and rent another one when needed. Add the rme pcmcia madi i/o and you can take your rig on stage.

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
dude, look these up

http://www.oktavamod.com/

we got modded MK012, again bang for a buck really nice stuff there.

yeah i talked to their cust service, they told me they can mod my sp b1 and i was lookin at a tube joint to, so yeah im hip to these cats, def gonna hit them up! i was lookin at that madi stuff, i dont think i can afford that...ill see

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
Formant024, sadly, i dont have a spot here we can rent gear like that from. we just got a guitar center here not to long ago, and that shit is small, and only cater really to the guitar/drummer types...they wouldnt even order the focals without a deposit, which i find strange...so i have to take yall word, work with what i have, and hope for the best!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
well, work down your budget, how much can you afford, i'd cut down the mackie expander since they dont do anything for your sound.