Copped the MV-8000

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
It's nice to see that people are warming up to Roland stuff. I have an XP-60 workstation from back in the day and a Fantom-S88. I love the interface in both units. When I was in school, I was taught on a Roland XP-30. I recently sold my MPC-4000 so I could have a more mobile unit to travel with. I was considering replacing it with the MV but it's in the same size category. I went with the MPC 2500 instead...gotta have at least one piece from another manufacturer. I wish the 2500 came with COSM though, those effects are sick. If they ever release a Variphrase for the MV...it's on; MV users will be unstoppable.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
The-Shadow said:
It's nice to see that people are warming up to Roland stuff.
well I had a lot of roland pieces, SP 808, JV 1080, RS-5, RS-50, Fantom-s, mc505 and XR in addition to a bunch of other manufacturers samplers, now after 2 or 3 years searching for that all in one hardware piece, (yamaha RS-7000 was about as close as I came to something that could be an all in one) LOL but I couldn't understand all of the hoopla about the MV-8000 a few years back, and when i sold my mpc 3000 after the lcd started going out and the drive started acting up I wanted get one but I had to get my bread up because of the price tag i could never get it so I went and copped the 1000 as a filler....so the other day I took some old equipment and traded up to it, after two days about 4 or 5 hours and going over the manual, I am now only getting an understanding why Producer X was trying to tell me he sold his mpc3000 and triton and was doing everything on this a couple years ago, I could not grasp how it could be possible for someone that knows their gear to say this....so now that I have it I have to co-sign this is one of the useful all in one pieces of hardware I have seen and also I get a free vga card I have to order it , and I have seen the interface it looks almost identical to fruity loops but more like protools as far as some of the grid and other features, but my sound coming out of this thing is nothing like what I get from fruity loops even after exporting to protools LOL, its totally professional sound all the way to the built in kits and the how your samples sounds coming out of it (no graininess, thinning or harsh flanging when stretching)....anyhow this is a very dope piece if you travel or if you dont have much space for a setup...basically sampling is a breeze and you can play your track and sample on the fly and edit, chromatically spread samples all very efficiently, actually I could see how someone that never used a roland sampler to get frustrated if they have been using an mpc though, its a different mindset but once you have it's a breeze thats why for me after having the fantom, it was simple for me to start cranking a few joints out, the menus and how you access them are very similiar but the sequencer itself is almost identical to say the fantom s..oh and it comes with a built in 40gig drive, cd burner and 128 meg to start off....you have to respect the fact that roland not only makes dope gear but their VS series of digital multitrack recorders were pretty popular for the longest and you could do completely professional recording and mastering on them, and one thing they always had was a huge choice of high quality effects and they kept that fact the same on the MV....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
^ BigD be sure to check Mvnation.com if u havent already. lots of tips and tricks. also check out a guy called DaMadMan, hes made several tutorial vids.

pz.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Downside...44bit/16bit, but good converters though. There's one feature the mpc4k lacks which is recording while playing but i dont think really weighs up to the mpc4k's better engine and converters.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Okay, in regards to mastering issues and dynamic response of the machine itself. 'Neither the MV8k or the mpc4k will grant you the ability to create good music, but thats really not the point here, im talking about quality and option to use 24bit samples. I dont understand why roland didnt make the engine up to date with the current standard when creating a machine like this. Perhaps from the idea that its an all in one solution so that nothing is needed except an mv8000 which is logical considering the expansion options but I bet most people will process samples through pcs aswell one way or another.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
misscc803 said:
The features dont mean shit. If u cant create music then either one is useless.

Nicole
that is true to an extent but basically its not a prerequisite to cop the piece or get that software though you can't knock those that try, oh I seen you over at mvnation tryna cop the mv too LOL, did you get it yet ? I wanna hear your joints when you get it if you havent already I know they're gonna be hot.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
and how its been processed with a mininum of loss, also regarding blending the mix internaly on the mv8000, Nyquist wasnt all right you know hehe.

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
and how its been processed with a mininum of loss, also regarding blending the mix internaly on the mv8000, Nyquist wasnt all right you know hehe.

what are you talking about....for you or anybody to really understand the true power of this machine...you will need to own it or know someone who do cause just to read up on it online or go to the guitar cent will never show you.

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
Formant024-you a cool cat but man u need to at least own shit sometimes to fully know it it capabilities. Like when we were goin back and forth about the mpc2000. U didnt even own one so dats what made it easy for me to prove you wrong or correct you. If you had one u would have understood the concept of what I was talkin about.

Nicole

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
So Rhythmikal, it's been a month since you got the machine. What are your thoughts? Also for those MV owners who were or still maybe MPC users, what are your thoughts on working with both machines? I'm curious as to whether it's a good investment or not. I've come across someone selling theirs for $1500 CDN, which is dirt cheap compared to its Canadian selling price.

I guess my concern would be the pad response. Being a Fantom-S owner, I really hate the pads on the keyboard, I have never seriously used them. I would hope that the MV pads would be operating at the same level and response as MPC pads. For $1500, it's an amazing price and I'm sure it would make a great second unit but I would like to know what other MV/MPC owners think. I'm going to go by the local music store and see if they have one on demo to try out anyways.

Not a bad bit of dealing...I've sold my 4000 and with the proceeds I got a mint MPC 2500 and if it pans out, a mint MV-8000 also.

Peace.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Me I am a 3rd generation MPC user...2000-3000 & 1000....the clencher in all cases off the break is the SCREEN Size.......very triton like except no touch screen, it is possible to get a lot done, but I cant wait to get my VGA card it will be just like having fruity loops for the most part when it comes to navigating in color and editing , like I said for me since I worked with roland sequencers its a no brainer on how the mixer and sequencer works, the interface is even somewhat got shades of the sp 808 in functions and menus etc.....anyhow, to anyone that uses their computer, this will only enhance your creativity, no hardware and software comparison from me....i used both....but the overall all in one feature, 40 gig drive and the ability to read akai CD's and Rip audio makes this indispensable at this point .....oh and the talk of whether you can master has been answered and page 20 something of the manual says the machine has the same tools as the Roland VS series which were highly regarded and respected in a lot studios outside of the dominance of protools and protools LE for doing a project that sounds ready for disc and duplication.....I actually traded my fantom S in with another piece of gear for this...and I do not regret it one bit, main thing is making your own patches and having a controller, you wont miss your board.....but in some cases if you are heavily into keys......it has something like 64note polyphony or something....help me out I just glanced at that in the manual....but as far as feel...just sittting hear glancing down, and using the pads I sometimes think I am using my 3000, anyhow your pad bank can contain up to 6, 16 full banks each, thats a lot of drums.....and the other thing is the loop timing, that stays on beat if you set it up right....but to answer your question the pad response is nothing like the pads on the fantom and to me seem to be exactly as my old 3000, anyhow since I only had it a few days I am still getting ready to make my first joint, I am just messing around and getting into the manual and functions for the most part.....imma go out on a limb here...if this thing had AKAi stenciled on it, I wouldn't know the difference...Thats just me though...LOL

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The-Shadow said:
So Rhythmikal, it's been a month since you got the machine. What are your thoughts? Also for those MV owners who were or still maybe MPC users, what are your thoughts on working with both machines? I'm curious as to whether it's a good investment or not. I've come across someone selling theirs for $1500 CDN, which is dirt cheap compared to its Canadian selling price.

I guess my concern would be the pad response. Being a Fantom-S owner, I really hate the pads on the keyboard, I have never seriously used them. I would hope that the MV pads would be operating at the same level and response as MPC pads. For $1500, it's an amazing price and I'm sure it would make a great second unit but I would like to know what other MV/MPC owners think. I'm going to go by the local music store and see if they have one on demo to try out anyways.

Not a bad bit of dealing...I've sold my 4000 and with the proceeds I got a mint MPC 2500 and if it pans out, a mint MV-8000 also.

Peace.

Real talk.... if you went from a mpc 4000 to a 2500 i wouldnt advise you to get a Mv 8000. At this point it aint the gear dog it could be you who just needs to sit down and work harder with what you have(overall grow with your gear). I use to own a mpc 2000xl and i got the mv because the price was nice and the features was alot bettter than what was in the xl(dont get me wrong a mpc xl is all you need to make hits). The reason i got the mv was from what it can do i feel i could see myself using it for the next 10 plus years. Thats one thing people dont do anymore when they buy gear. All you doing is trading for the same thing at the end of the day why not just keep what you have.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
^ Big D put it well, so ill add my bit for The-Shadow n anyone else.

iv never had any kind of MPC so i cant compare, but i can tell u about the features. im not gonna list the features n specs coz u can find em anywhere, ill just talk about em.

the physical work face (u know wat i mean) - very good quality throughout, screen is massive and brilliant, pads are good if not a lil hard, my man got a 1k and the pads are a little softer, knobs n sliders are like all roland ones they feel good and smooth, buttons are straight (lots of them light up in different colours, infact when u do an OS updat they all flash its phat lol), there seems to be a button for everything infact, IMO the best part of the front is the group of buttons to the left of the pads - 'quick edit' - amazing, 'clip board' - could not live without! etc etc, CD drive better than my laptop's. o yeh u dont need a mixer or anything when hookin up a turntable just plug it straight in - its like this shit was built for hip hop.

sequencer - very easy to get about once u know what ur doing, lots of different recording options with all sorts of swing settings etc...very similar to FL which is a major plus, piano roll, drum grid editor (very good - can see the names of the drums and get heads noddin with this, sounds ill. i use Pattern mode to make tracks which was introduced in v3.0 - it is very similar to how i used to make beats on my motif so thats ill.

mixer and effects - mixer nice and graphical, u got ur reverb and chorus/delay option for each track and yes EQ FOR EVERY DAMN TRACK which i love, the EQ is tight too, the reverbs im not too keen on - i think the reverbs in my motif were better but still they sound good and are fully editable, then u got all your Roland COSM stuff which is great - effects such as 'tape echo delay', 'phonograph', '80s phaser' and 'lo-fi processor' are very useful, a setback is that u can only have one MFX per song but this aint really true coz u can resample.

mastering - im no mastering genius,but i have had a go and it sounds sweet, really brings out the sparkle in your beat n u can get it so damn loud. it seperates out all the individual elements too, like u can hear all the instuments clearly, it makes the original sound wack! but yeh its powerful. setback - u have to re-record your beat with the mastering applied, it doesnt just save it as mastered.

other shit - editing each pad sound is so quick and easy its stupid. you got the ADSR options, pitch control, pan, resonance all that shit. honestly chopping up a sample is so easy especially wit the clip board which even RZA mentioned, 40 gig hardrive well what can i say - iv put my entire drum and acapella collection on there, i also love the way that u can preview anything on the hardrive while the beat is playing.

i cud go on but there is just too much to say about it really. iv made a HELL of alot of beats on it already - definately my best material ever. 9/10 for me.

peace.

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
young_keyz said:
Real talk.... if you went from a mpc 4000 to a 2500 i wouldnt advise you to get a Mv 8000. At this point it aint the gear dog it could be you who just needs to sit down and work harder with what you have(overall grow with your gear). I use to own a mpc 2000xl and i got the mv because the price was nice and the features was alot bettter than what was in the xl(dont get me wrong a mpc xl is all you need to make hits). The reason i got the mv was from what it can do i feel i could see myself using it for the next 10 plus years. Thats one thing people dont do anymore when they buy gear. All you doing is trading for the same thing at the end of the day why not just keep what you have.

You bring up some valid points, however they are irrelevant in this instance. I didn't sell my 4000 cause I don't know what it is I'm doing or what is is I want. I know the 4K's OS inside and out. Not once did I state that I was encountering difficulties working these two pieces. I was just asking for opinions from other users and sharing some quirks I have had with Roland gear in the past. Difficulties with equipment is not really an issue for me, I service electronic musical instruments and audio hardware for a living; growing with gear is no problem when you can disassemble, repair and reassemble them again 100%.

I'm starting to travel a lot more now as my contractors are expanding throughout Canada, so I need something more portable and versatile. I personally do not find the MPC4K to be a very travelworthy unit...others may disagree, but my experience has taught me better.

Tonight, one of my junior producers has asked me to sell him the MPC 2500 I just picked up cause he can't afford the $2900 price tag from the music stores. No problem at all, he can have it, no skin off my back.

Besides, I went to audition the MV today at my local music store for a few hours. I'm satisfied with its performance. I was really impressed with the VGA expansion system, the thing works just like a DAW with mouse and all. The MV is larger than desired but at least it does not have all the dimensions and weight that the 4K does. I already know the Roland OS inside, having used the Fantom for the last five years, and I can get good factory prices on the expansions.

In conversation with staff at the store, it seems that Roland is determined to support this product and not leave it behind like it has done with some of their other instruments and for me, that is a plus. You said, young_keyz, that you see yourself using your MV for the next 10 years, I too would like to do the same. Knowing that Roland is aggressively supporting this machine goes a long way to making sure that will happen for both of us.

Your theory that I am not working hard enough on my 'gear' slightly offends me, but I will brush it off my shoulders cause in the end, I win. I sold the 4000 for $3500 CDN. Purchased the 2500 for $1900 CDN. Selling it to one of my associates for $2200 CDN, with upgraded HDD and RAM. Now through one of my suppliers who's sitting on overstock, I can now get the MV-8000 for $1500 even...and I get to put $2300 profit in the bank with all the other dollars hard earned.

So in a way, young_keyz, we are motivated by the same thing, price and features. I can't just be production minded when making purchases of music equipment, I have to look at the costs of goods bought and sold and the level of after-sales service and product support. I've also got to find the deals wherever they may be. I'm a businessman, this is my methodology and I stick by it bar none.

young_keyz said:
At this point...
Unfortunately, you missed the point. It was about investment, portability and versatility not difficulty.

Much has happened since I put out the word that I was selling my 4K a week ago, I just happen to be in the right place and the right time about to score a pretty decent deal. As Pops would say "Yit Ta Dee!"

Peace.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
The-Shadow said:
You bring up some valid points, however they are irrelevant in this instance. I didn't sell my 4000 cause I don't know what it is I'm doing or what is is I want. I know the 4K's OS inside and out. Not once did I state that I was encountering difficulties working these two pieces. I was just asking for opinions from other users and sharing some quirks I have had with Roland gear in the past. Difficulties with equipment is not really an issue for me, I service electronic musical instruments and audio hardware for a living; growing with gear is no problem when you can disassemble, repair and reassemble them again 100%.

I'm starting to travel a lot more now as my contractors are expanding throughout Canada, so I need something more portable and versatile. I personally do not find the MPC4K to be a very travelworthy unit...others may disagree, but my experience has taught me better.

Tonight, one of my junior producers has asked me to sell him the MPC 2500 I just picked up cause he can't afford the $2900 price tag from the music stores. No problem at all, he can have it, no skin off my back.

Besides, I went to audition the MV today at my local music store for a few hours. I'm satisfied with its performance. I was really impressed with the VGA expansion system, the thing works just like a DAW with mouse and all. The MV is larger than desired but at least it does not have all the dimensions and weight that the 4K does. I already know the Roland OS inside, having used the Fantom for the last five years, and I can get good factory prices on the expansions.

In conversation with staff at the store, it seems that Roland is determined to support this product and not leave it behind like it has done with some of their other instruments and for me, that is a plus. You said, young_keyz, that you see yourself using your MV for the next 10 years, I too would like to do the same. Knowing that Roland is aggressively supporting this machine goes a long way to making sure that will happen for both of us.

Your theory that I am not working hard enough on my 'gear' slightly offends me, but I will brush it off my shoulders cause in the end, I win. I sold the 4000 for $3500 CDN. Purchased the 2500 for $1900 CDN. Selling it to one of my associates for $2200 CDN, with upgraded HDD and RAM. Now through one of my suppliers who's sitting on overstock, I can now get the MV-8000 for $1500 even...and I get to put $2300 profit in the bank with all the other dollars hard earned.

So in a way, young_keyz, we are motivated by the same thing, price and features. I can't just be production minded when making purchases of music equipment, I have to look at the costs of goods bought and sold and the level of after-sales service and product support. I've also got to find the deals wherever they may be. I'm a businessman, this is my methodology and I stick by it bar none.

Unfortunately, you missed the point. It was about investment, portability and versatility not difficulty.

Much has happened since I put out the word that I was selling my 4K a week ago, I just happen to be in the right place and the right time about to score a pretty decent deal. As Pops would say "Yit Ta Dee!"

Peace.
I been a gearphile since the 90's starting on the HR-16 then SP12 LOL but what it is when you become a gearphile is you just not buying equipment to buy equipment, the features do make a difference because for me I have to have a piece of gear that can handle my ideas, sometimes a machine is limiting in either the length of time it may take you to do something, at first when I got the fantom s back a few years ago I took it back because I did not like the chaining process of patterns to make my songs as opposed to the mpc or the old 1st generation motif...I think there is something to its not the gear to only an extent because I will tell you it takes you a lot longer to come up with your idea on say the mpc as opposed to a grid based visual sequencer like fruity loops for instance, I went crazy with my ideas on there but the sound quality for me wasnt cutting it compared to printing to protools from mpc(I dont care who thats a big name is using it either, its ok but I still have export to protools to get it sound at least close to professional).....so for me switching out gear has to do more with does the way the gear function make sense to me, as far as going from concept to the track and how I want to switch up and arrange.....every piece of gear does not fit into the ease of use or logical order of how I would like to do things, so for me it really is all about what I use, reason and fruity loops are very good visual studios, after being on gear for years then going to software it made me more oriented to having a piano roll and being able to move things around with my mouse, but now that the MV has all of that rolled into a box I think this is what I have been wanting, the mouse function is useful too, even the piano roll on the mv is sorta clumsy without a mouse so I cant wait to get the vga card.....most people switching around gear is about the same as the person who cant seem to make their mind up about a certain car so they buy a different one until they get the one that fits what they like about it....

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The-Shadow said:

Peace.

Lol you have all that to say and you asking us what you should do.....you already answer that.....lol your confuse!

members online