Can someone explain to me what this is? YaHHHH!!

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
HAHA I havne't watched BET in about a decade and three weeks ago I got in the mood to hear what was current and this was one of the first videos, if not the first, that I saw. Thing is, since then I just assumed a majority of hiphop is like this now. You know from the 4 or so videos I watched I did not see anything that resembled the HIPHOP I know

whatever though, society is blind and lost so why shouldn't the music reflect it. I just hope Obama wins so we can strengthen america from the roots up and not from the limbs down. Without nutrients in the ground, creativity and illness starve

-c.t.

sorry, but in the 80s and 90s u basically had to come with FIYA lyrics and good music... thats not the case 2day... MCs from the past would run circles on these "rappers" of 2day... the guys on this forum would eat these guys up as well... no more education in lyrics... just shake yo ass and let society live as zombies while the government takes yo money... stars are few and far between... the mainstream brainwashed public numbers in the billions... why do u think people can make simple as gadgets and make millions??? bcuz theres enuff people out here that will buy it... its about the packaging.

da relic

no doubt!

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
sorry, but in the 80s and 90s u basically had to come with FIYA lyrics and good music... thats not the case 2day... MCs from the past would run circles on these "rappers" of 2day... the guys on this forum would eat these guys up as well... no more education in lyrics... just shake yo ass and let society live as zombies while the government takes yo money... stars are few and far between... the mainstream brainwashed public numbers in the billions... why do u think people can make simple as gadgets and make millions??? bcuz theres enuff people out here that will buy it... its about the packaging.
da relic

The point you make about MCs from the past running circles around today's rappers is a 100% accurate assessment. Yesterday's rapper comes from the park jam, which is also why I believe MC's used to rap "louder"/enunciate on earlier records, because they had to be heard over a crowd - probably up until Rakim hit the scene with a montone delivery - which of course changed everything we came to know as lyricism.

Nowadays - you can become a known artist without ever having spit for anybody- which is why you see so many TERRIBLE freestyle performances these days.

Please believe, hip hop is the only genre of music where fans stand in the crowd and legitamately believe that they are "better" or could do better than the artist that's on stage. The days of wanting to be like your favorite rapper - LL Cool J -Word Up Mag- poster-on-the-wall era is loooong gone.

Today's rapper wants to be perceived as a street dude - I'm still trying to figure out when lyrical skill transformed into discussing how many ways I could murk somebody over a beat.

Mark my words, with the Patroit Act labeling everyone terrorists, hip hop task force, and the power the media has these days - you will never see another Ice Cube, Chuck D type of political consciousness ever again. I listen to vintage Cube a lot and am amazed that a lot of the stuff that would fly under the radar in the early 90's would be all over Bill O' Reilly in today's world.

my point is soulja boy is a product of the problem he is not the problem .. dude is young ... my thing is that u have grown ass men giving a off a much worse/ignorant image than soulja boy... grown ass men... you got rappers in there 30's acting more ignorant than soulja boy. evrybody wants to blame the kids but the older generation is the one that really needs to get checked. Rap is like the only genre where u see older artists still trying to addresss/impress a teenage crowd. The rappers get older and older but they are still being targeted towards the same demographic. Stevie wonder was a childhood artist but u dont see him tryin to dumb his stuff down to appeal to teenagers. he makes music for grown ass men. Same with any R&B cat thats been around for awhile except for maybe r kelly. Thats prolly why i havent felt anything hes put out in awhile cuz he tryin to be like these lil niggas when he just needs to bring back that smooth bedroom music he used to do.

I agree - instead of directing all the frustration at Soulja Boy - the real beef should be with the majority of these rappers that are 30+ running around in videos trying to act like they're still in tune with 18 year olds.

I look at Soulja Boy the way that I view my little cousins who we embarrass at family functions by making them dance or sing in front of everybody.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
shadeed; said:
I agree - instead of directing all the frustration at Soulja Boy - the real beef should be with the majority of these rappers that are 30+ running around in videos trying to act like they're still in tune with 18 year olds.

Frankly I AM one of those 30+ year old rappers runnin around, but I AINT TRYING to be in touch with 18 year olds, if they wanna live they best try and get in touch with me..
I personally don't have to aim any marketing at that crowd, I can easily aim at older heads who want real intelligence ..HOWEVER...
StepChild who is ANOTHER 30+ year old rapper is running around and has kids of ALL ages relating to HIM not vice versa and thats where I see our stuff is going.
And btw thats not to argue Sha just providing a counterpoint

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Frankly I AM one of those 30+ year old rappers runnin around, but I AINT TRYING to be in touch with 18 year olds, if they wanna live they best try and get in touch with me..
I personally don't have to aim any marketing at that crowd, I can easily aim at older heads who want real intelligence ..HOWEVER...
StepChild who is ANOTHER 30+ year old rapper is running around and has kids of ALL ages relating to HIM not vice versa and thats where I see our stuff is going.
And btw thats not to argue Sha just providing a counterpoint

Nah man, I get your point. Nothing wrong with continue to put out music at any age - the Nas "Where Are They Now" Remix had me wishing that a lot of people on that record were still active because they still got it.

There's a market for everything. I think people/artists just need to be themselves.

The problem is that people feel pressured to emulate what's on the radio in order to feel accepted. With the rise of the internet, there are literally millions of internet stations that play music we may have grown up on, so it's the artist's job to tap into that.

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ASH understandsss. this is club music. hype music for the teens. thats what does well these days in mainstream. club music. RIGHT? thats why hes seeing so much success. so if ur looking to see that much success, go make some hard clubs beats ppl can bump in the car and djs can spin at the clubs and djs can play on the radio. thats the best u can get for air time. CLUB SONGS.

but if thats not ur style then keep making something for the minority of underground fans.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
but if thats not ur style then keep making something for the minority of underground fans.

you should of said keep making Hip Hop music for the majority of Hip Hop fans.

But you made a good point. Club music. Not Hip Hop. It's marketing people. Just cause they say it's Hip Hop doesn'y make it what most of us would call Hip Hop Music.

krysolite

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yes, I declared peace on this topic , Ash was right...

Ill just keep making "something for the minority of underground fans."

i was exaggerating a bit. but u know what i meannn. 50 did his thing on his first album. all club songs. and look how fast he blew up. what a genius. im just saying something club "hip hop" appeals to a wider audience. you got hip hop heads, possibly. people into pop. the kids, the teens. and anyone who likes.... ahh w/e u get it PEACE.

i still think this song is pushing it.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
i was exaggerating a bit. but u know what i meannn. 50 did his thing on his first album. all club songs. and look how fast he blew up. what a genius. im just saying something club "hip hop" appeals to a wider audience. you got hip hop heads, possibly. people into pop. the kids, the teens. and anyone who likes.... ahh w/e u get it PEACE.

i still think this song is pushing it.

No I agree, the point of being in the industry is to sell lots of units, thats how you get well known...
W/e people want, thats what you give em..
Im in that stuck on motown type of singin talent because they could actually sing with so many effects you cant tell one from the other type of mindset.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
IMO, alot of music is labeled by its sells, not all but alot. I refuse to believe that 50's joint was entended for club bangers or whatever. I think that his ish had more club appeal to it but he has to maintain that, " I got shot/ I'm a thug/ who's next" mentality.

I agree with Stress that just because " they" say its hiphop don't mean jack.

dac

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
I dont agree with "making music for the clubs, or making music that sells " or whatever.. If you are making music for the sole purpose "trying" to get fans and/or sell you probably wont succeed. you might do ok at first but unless you come with something unique you wont be around for long. that being said, creating something with mass appeal shouldnt be viewed as selling out. Thats ridiclulous. Copycating whats out there just to get a check is selling out imo. Being a smart grown ass man and making sing along dopeboy music for the kids (young joc) is selling out imo. If u are tryin to mimic whats out there whether its underground OR mainstream u prolly wont go that far.Throughut the history of music there have been thousands of unique and creative songs that have also become number one hits. Look at a song like outkast rosa parks... way left field and unique, but so dope. diffrent, mainstream appeal, but def not selling out.

on a side note the image of hip hop right now is in the worse shape i have ever seen it in. Its like every rapper has the same generic hood story and rehashed lazy-dopeboy i do nothing all day but im still a boss and a hustler flow. YO. i live in bedstuy. THERES NOT THAT MUCH CRACK ON THE STREET.STOP LYING. JUST STOP. Dudes are really tryin their very hardest to sound dumb as fuc. The dumber the better lol. These labels are a joke right now. I mean seriously though. I wonder if the A&Rs from other genres just walk past the hip hop office and break out laughing while shakin their heads. There are more rappers than ever, but nobodys sayin nothing. All i hear is blah blah blah Shorty Low? cmon ... i could write a better verse than him by pissing my lyrics on a wall. The only reason hes even getting spins is because he has like 5 other cats on his record. When i think about cats like nas,rakim,andre 3000,pac,biggie... if if they put out something wack.. u still want to hear it. Feel me? .. u still are anxious to hear what lyrics or concepts or whatever came out of their brain and made it to wax. With these newer charcters, I dont give a fuc if I hear them or not. They are not interesting to me. I like luda, i like kanye, and a few other cats most would consider "mainstream" or whatever cuz they can actually keep my interest and can come with something diffrent but hot, but most of these dudes are clowns that seem to not even give a fuc about their own music. SO Y should I?