Can someone explain to me what this is? YaHHHH!!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
For me it's never been about his music...I know it's basically dance driven. I got no problems with that. It's the never ending negative image that it portrays. And dudes lyrics aren't as "lollipopish" and innocent as some may think. I know the lingo why? Because I'm down south living this shit. Kids take everything literally these days...that's the problem I got with his music and image. Supa soak that hoe! Man look...if a MF super soaks one of my daughters I will catch a case! The shoot out joint he's got out.....it's a dance but damn....it's violent and aimed toward kids who are already way out of fucking hand with the pistol play. I can't even let my girls go to the local skating rink because every time I do the shit gets shut down because the kids are fighting war style.

We're going to have the highest failure and drop out rate in U.S history posted this year! Dudes mom's has begged him to go back to high school and he refuses. He hasn't made it past the 10th grade! How many young influential poor black kids are posted up in there bedrooms right now freaking FL Studio trying to be the next Soulja boi saying if he can drop out of school and make mad money so can I? Money with no school knowledge these days will eventually leave you broker than a MF.

I hope dude wises up and continues his high school education and possibly goes to College. If not he's going to be on one of those "where are they now" episodes. Money can't buy you the common sense you need to manage it. It's 2008! If you don't have the most basic education you don't stand a chance of having a meaningful life.

Only time will tell....I really hope I don't have to be the one to say "I told u so".

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
my point is soulja boy is a product of the problem he is not the problem .. dude is young ... my thing is that u have grown ass men giving a off a much worse/ignorant image than soulja boy... grown ass men... you got rappers in there 30's acting more ignorant than soulja boy. evrybody wants to blame the kids but the older generation is the one that really needs to get checked. Rap is like the only genre where u see older artists still trying to addresss/impress a teenage crowd. The rappers get older and older but they are still being targeted towards the same demographic. Stevie wonder was a childhood artist but u dont see him tryin to dumb his stuff down to appeal to teenagers. he makes music for grown ass men. Same with any R&B cat thats been around for awhile except for maybe r kelly. Thats prolly why i havent felt anything hes put out in awhile cuz he tryin to be like these lil niggas when he just needs to bring back that smooth bedroom music he used to do.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
my point is soulja boy is a product of the problem he is not the problem .. dude is young ... my thing is that u have grown ass men giving a off a much worse/ignorant image than soulja boy... grown ass men... you got rappers in there 30's acting more ignorant than soulja boy. evrybody wants to blame the kids but the older generation is the one that really needs to get checked. Rap is like the only genre where u see older artists still trying to addresss/impress a teenage crowd. The rappers get older and older but they are still being targeted towards the same demographic. Stevie wonder was a childhood artist but u dont see him tryin to dumb his stuff down to appeal to teenagers. he makes music for grown ass men. Same with any R&B cat thats been around for awhile except for maybe r kelly. Thats prolly why i havent felt anything hes put out in awhile cuz he tryin to be like these lil niggas when he just needs to bring back that smooth bedroom music he used to do.

I feel your point exactly! I hope you feel mine as well. Your point is a whole other topic of discussion in itself! That's why I like the production side of the game. Making music is way less taxing on the brain and a lot the b.s. Emcee's have to struggle with I don't.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Hmmm interesting perspective Ash...Maybe its the kid in me that doesnt like it..lol..
I think its cuz when we were in high school we were bumping PE and BDP so when I hear this stuff, which your right isnt as harmful, it seems so anti message to what I was accustom to at the same age.

I dont think so much they are stealing fans perse as much as I just yearn for more of a conciousness in that demographic(haha which WOULD then make it my market), but I dont disagree as far as buddy has hustle when it came to the youtube breakthrough!

As far as ignant what I find ignorant is the way I cant understand squat of what he's saying,I liked it at first, I thought it was a song about abortion, wah me wade now wah me roe.

Dont get me wrong though I get your perspective Ash and it makes sense.

Mikemaster G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
On Soulja Boy:
I fucking hate Soulja Boy; one because he absolutely suck like HELL when rapping, and second because he use FL Studio(demo version) to create such horrible beats. Wait a minute, I use that same shit. OK, maybe I went a little overboard, but hey, son of a bitch still making mad money; I can't say nothing bad about that. But he's still suck though.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
people get upset bcuz, u BUST ur ass makin much BETTER songs and much BETTER beats... then, u go to the labels, producer showcases, beat battles, etc and the muthafukkin industry niggas is like, "yo, u need to add this to ur song and/or beat... it sounds good, it sounds ok, but, its not ready... then u turn on the radio, and u hear "Yaaaahhh trick Yaaaahhh!!! on the effin radio with an effin 6 trk beat thats empty as hell, and the damn radio DJ is blarin his fukkin horns talkin bout this shit is hot!!! thats what mo'fo's is pissed about... alright its me... IM pissed!!! ok i said it...lol

real fukkin talk bitches!!!

sorry ladies of the forum... i get like that sometimes.

da relic

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
^^^ i feel u but its kids music ...made by a kid for kids ........ .. Do u make music for kids? ... is soulja boi stealing your fans or something? how is what he is doing affecting your grind? soulja boi isnt hip hop .. it was never meant to be hip hop ... its club music for kids and teenie boppers.. i dont see how its ignorant .. it is what it is ... its not ignorant ... the dudes making songs encouraging dope dealing, lazyness, and gang affilition is ignorant. people thinking that if u went to jail or got shot that ur cool are ignorant ... i could care less about some lil dude inventing new dances. Dancehall music has been making songs about new dances for decades. Its nothing new

look, just cause you are the president of the New York City "soulja boy fan club" don't start defending,,,lol,,j/k

Shit is corn and like most corny shit, ignore it.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
people get upset bcuz, u BUST ur ass makin much BETTER songs and much BETTER beats... then, u go to the labels, producer showcases, beat battles, etc and the muthafukkin industry niggas is like, "yo, u need to add this to ur song and/or beat... it sounds good, it sounds ok, but, its not ready... then u turn on the radio, and u hear "Yaaaahhh trick Yaaaahhh!!! on the effin radio with an effin 6 trk beat thats empty as hell, and the damn radio DJ is blarin his fukkin horns talkin bout this shit is hot!!! thats what mo'fo's is pissed about... alright its me... IM pissed!!! ok i said it...lol

real fukkin talk bitches!!!

sorry ladies of the forum... i get like that sometimes.

da relic

Thanks that bout summed it up ...

Of course like Ash says its kid music so that has helped take the rage off some what for me..

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I applaud Soulja Boy's success and I hope he continues to make simple hits with dances to go with it. Some people take Soulja Boy's success personally - like it really offends people (lol)

Looking at the big picture - artists like him and Cassie are the new case study for how you can use the internet to break new music that ends up becoming a Top 40 hit.

Some of you may disagree but Soulja Boy is hip hop. In fact, he's more in tune with the hip hop pioneers than most contemporary artists. I'll explain

Rap music evolved from reggae/dancehall, house parties, and park jams.
At such functions people actually danced. Most rappers had background dancers and actually rehearsed routines for their performances.
I think the whole "Real Hip Hop elitism" problem started during the 90's a whole new style of hip hop emerged where the dancer was phased out - and everything was grimy. This is the era that a lot of late 20's hip hop fans connect to because that's what they were raised on.

What I don't understand from a lot of late 20's and older hip hop fans is how they could justify the Humpty Dance and the Kid N Play Kick Step - but snap music, Superman, and whatever is "wack" today.
Shock-G aka Humpty Hump would get on stage with a blazer, fake glasses with a fake nose, and a hat with a raccoon tail and entice people to do his dance and that was supposed to be hot (and it was though, at the time lol!) Hell, even "the thug that you love to hate" the late-great Tupac Shakur was doin the Hump.

Am I a Soulja Boy "fan" - Nah, probably not. But at the same time, "Yahhhh" doesn't stop me from turning on my MP and doing what I do - its enough room in the game for everybody.
People should stop acting like it's a salary cap for MC's or a quota.

<sarcasm>
And for all you Soulja Boy haters, Soulja Boy is online quite often (that's how he broke the "Crank dat Soulja Boy" record - please don't let him find out about your comments:
you don't want him to end your career like he did the GZA's lol.
</sarcasm>

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Yeah Collipark is gettin maaad respect from me right now.......Taste the sarcasm.

I would say the same thing Relic - but I've had the opportunity to chop it up with the man and basically have a conversation about some of the decisions and choices within his musical resume from a "real hip hop purist" perspective.
I couldn't even front on him after that because he clearly demonstrated his knowledge and appreciation for the pioneers, and those who laid the path before him, like Raheem the Dream. I was suprised to find out that he used the SP and he broke down some of his sampling techniques and all that. Like I said, I may not agree with every musical decision but I respect where he's coming from because he's been at it for so long.

Hell, even Yin Yang twins motivation for making music was to "recreate that energy that they got from hearing Afrika Bambaata".

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
word.

and again my thing with solja is the fact he sounds ignant in a time where we need to be at least ENUNCIATING.
Cool to be a fool has got to go

Sad thing is - dude is/was a straight A student , so the question is: Is he intelligent enough to know he has to simplify his music??

Same thing with Plies. If you listen to a Plies mixtape and then go have a conversation with dude, you would swear they were two different people.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Thats why from now on Im gonna sound like a complete illiterate idiot so I can appeal to the lowest common denominator and get rich , forsaking the art in its artform , but then talk like I love hiphop when Im not in the limelight!
(It IS genius!)
I put up the soulja interviews a page or so back, he doesnt strike me as an A student. I countered that argument already! lol

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
What I don't understand from a lot of late 20's and older hip hop fans is how they could justify the Humpty Dance and the Kid N Play Kick Step - but snap music, Superman, and whatever is "wack" today.
Shock-G aka Humpty Hump would get on stage with a blazer, fake glasses with a fake nose, and a hat with a raccoon tail and entice people to do his dance and that was supposed to be hot (and it was though, at the time lol!) Hell, even "the thug that you love to hate" the late-great Tupac Shakur was doin the Hump.
sorry, but in the 80s and 90s u basically had to come with FIYA lyrics and good music... thats not the case 2day... MCs from the past would run circles on these "rappers" of 2day... the guys on this forum would eat these guys up as well... no more education in lyrics... just shake yo ass and let society live as zombies while the government takes yo money... stars are few and far between... the mainstream brainwashed public numbers in the billions... why do u think people can make simple as gadgets and make millions??? bcuz theres enuff people out here that will buy it... its about the packaging.

da relic

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
sorry, but in the 80s and 90s u basically had to come with FIYA lyrics and good music... thats not the case 2day... MCs from the past would run circles on these "rappers" of 2day... the guys on this forum would eat these guys up as well... no more education in lyrics... just shake yo ass and let society live as zombies while the government takes yo money... stars are few and far between... the mainstream brainwashed public numbers in the billions... why do u think people can make simple as gadgets and make millions??? bcuz theres enuff people out here that will buy it... its about the packaging.

da relic

PrEACH! pREACH!

grades have NOTHING to do with intelligence ....... just an FYI ... no implication or argument intended...
Co Sign. Grades require that you go to school when you are meant to, all they show is that you have crammed all the bullshit they want you to remember into that head and can recall it when put to the test(ie exams).
Grades dont show an intelligence to question that which is being taught, only to accept what they are being taught as if it was a religion.
"They are the scientists, they must know better". Well I say bullshit. I have seen some of these "Very Clever" people talking as if they know how the universe started, or how we have multiple universes that cover every option that every person may ever make. And all with no evidence. They are the clever ones?!!

members online