Beat This! - March 10-11, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silentz

Boom Bap addict
Battle Points: 113
Totally, this was more the point I was making.

BUT also if someone hears and old record/loop/sample and thinks "owch, that one part is hot, need to take that, and get some kind of drums from xyz on it, then put this kind of song on it", that may seem like cheap/cheating (i feel that too) but it's also 'vision' to piece together a hot record or hit, so... *shrugS* I unno!!!

Just make hot records. (But I feel ya)

tho i feel issue is, some of these loop pack kids can chuck shit together to sound like a 'well made beat' when really they haven't made a beat. I think in that kinda example, especially if entering a battle with it, then that is weak/cheap.
I guess its not all their fault. Its the way they have learned. They don't come from the same era of watching Pete Rock and others digging at the record store on Yo MTV raps and wishing that was you. Damn I hate sounding old.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
I guess its not all their fault. Its the way they have learned. They don't come from the same era of watching Pete Rock and others digging at the record store on Yo MTV raps and wishing that was you. Damn I hate sounding old.

i remember having hiphop ejay when i was a kid, it's like a loop based sequencer type thing.
but it had some step sequencer, so even despite all that i was already tryingt to program my own drums n stuff.
always have been trying to do all the stuff myself, probably always will.
I should ease up and use session musicians more though!

Silentz

Boom Bap addict
Battle Points: 113
i remember having hiphop ejay when i was a kid, it's like a loop based sequencer type thing.
but it had some step sequencer, so even despite all that i was already tryingt to program my own drums n stuff.
Haha same. I started with the Ps2 music maker and then graduated to one of the first versions of Fuity Loops. Then a drum machine and keyboard. Unfortunately after that I quit for about 12 years but I never stopped thinking about doing music the entire time.

Hiphop ejay always felt like cheating for me, and it was hiphop ejay that inspired me to go down the composition route, full control over what I made. But then I came here and @Cleverwon made me realise the necessity for sampling in hip hop

Finding your own loop from an old classic isnt what Id consider cheating, but like @Silentz and @Iron Keys said, just getting loops from a sample pack and throwing drums on it, might as well just use hiphop ejay.
Agreed. You haven't accomplished anything or put your imprint on it. I remember something called Acid Sound or something that was very loopy. Played around with it for a minute as a youngster and then moved onto Cubase, which was super hard at first but learnt a lot.

Agreed. You haven't accomplished anything or put your imprint on it. I remember something called Acid Sound or something that was very loopy. Played around with it for a minute as a youngster and then moved onto Cubase, which was super hard at first but learnt a lot.
Acid pro? I used it for years. Its more a daw though, just with a different workflow

my bangin and your bangin may be different...i say bangin because i took time, made a beat with no loops or samples everything played by me and i did my own vocals no accapella...i think its bangs because it dont sound like everything else...
My idea of banging is it moves my head and it sounds amazing on beer. But sounds like you put the work in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online