Beat This! Competition - July 26-27, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

But this is what I mean also. In a slight counter argument to 2gs comments.

That if you're making xyz genre or style. You kinda have to use a specific set of rules and sounds. So then therefore nothing is really that original.

Re that point - I've never listened to an Ice Cube record that has the kinda sound I have - Dogg Pound, yes. But I'm actually making a different genre. Not even particularly meant to be hiphop.

Re 73% original I think that's a way high amount, I'd say maybe things are most 10% original, and thay originality is the actual musical content. Example

- sampling, not original
- drum patterns, not original
- arrangements, not original
- chord progs, not original
- instruments, not original
- vocals, not original
- genre crossing, not original
- remixing, not original

And even the things you may think are original or experimental probably not thay original either as someone's likely done it, and even if you are the first person to talbox a mile Cyrus song. The idea of reappropriating things is not original.

Despite saying this, originality is still important to me. But I see it more in terms of not just copying or not being generic. Like to -core levels.

My issue with trap say, isn't necessary it 'all sounding the same', so much as the fact that you can hear people are putting ransom trap pattern drums n samples, with random sample loop, and tho the sounds may not clash, they don't sound intentional. The parts sound like random drum loop. Random instrument loop. But not soul or spirit combining the two.
The issue with trap sounding same too is its a minimal genre, and with minimalism you REALLY need to nail it right. Because the simplicity amplifies the content. So if it's generic and random loops, it amplifies that.
maybe his point is that now that you mastered this style, you can push for a higher percentage of originality or a different type of it or something like that. idk. tbf you do seem a bit stuck in the wobble wobble funky funky synth era, intentional or not. or maybe it's just that your taste takes you near that sound even when you try other genres. who knows. maybe take a hyperhiatus far away from the genre and see if you can find a new type of "Iron Sound".

My issue with trap say, isn't necessary it 'all sounding the same', so much as the fact that you can hear people are putting ransom trap pattern drums n samples, with random sample loop, and tho the sounds may not clash, they don't sound intentional. The parts sound like random drum loop. Random instrument loop. But not soul or spirit combining the two.
The issue with trap sounding same too is its a minimal genre, and with minimalism you REALLY need to nail it right. Because the simplicity amplifies the content. So if it's generic and random loops, it amplifies that.
While I completely agree with the minimalism point, personally speaking the most annoying thing with trap for me is the zombified audience. like how the fuck do these people listen to this rhythmless dull sonic limbo with negative groove and be like "YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". there has to be something I don't understand. I try to listen and "get it" sometimes, but I quit immediately cause doing that feels like the equivalent of kneeling towards the pack of zombies, asking them to eat my brains.

also random thought: zombies wanna eat brains, but if they bite you, by the time they get through the skull you're already a zombie, and they don't like to eat eachother's brains. living as a zombie must be a tragic experience. probably worse than living as a T-rex.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
When it comes to what style of beats, I think that just making whatever you're comfortable with is the way to go. If you're looking to be a producer or even just sell beats professionally, then it's a toss up. On one hand you can follow the current trend and make that, but then you'll just be another fish in the pond, or you can make what you make and maybe it will work. Maybe it won't.

However, if your beats sound like a certain producer then it could backfire but also it could work. For example, if someone wants a Dre-sounding beat, they can't buy a beat from Dre so they'll hit up Generic Dre for a lot less.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making beats that sound like they're from ages ago because there's a need for all sorts of genres. There's guys that still make beats like they're stuck in the 90s and it sounds so good because they ARE so good. Just like some modern beatmakers making Trap - some of them stand out because they're really good.

So it doesn't matter what style you make, just be amazing at it and somewhere someone will want to listen to it and/or pay for it.

@Iron Keys all that Im trying to say is I think you are pigeonholing yourself and limiting your opportunities. You have good composition and arrangement skills and there is money to be made in sync licensing, you make a very specific subset of hip hop/funk and its just an opinion but I think expanding your horizons will be good for you.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
@Iron Keys all that Im trying to say is I think you are pigeonholing yourself and limiting your opportunities. You have good composition and arrangement skills and there is money to be made in sync licensing, you make a very specific subset of hip hop/funk and its just an opinion but I think expanding your horizons will be good for you.
Just clarifying I've literally taken zero offence (in case it was mistaken) and I know what you're saying.

Where I'm at currently, is two parts 1) I've had a hard time enjoying making music lately, whether making a new genre, or trying to over analytically make something new. Afrobeat. Alt pop. Trap. I dunno just feels calculated and chore-like to me. The one music I've not failed to enjoy listening to is this funk zhit! Also, when I first started making this style and to today, I actually have fun when playing in melodies and what not.

now for 2) I'm deciding to pigeonhole my self with certain stuff (my fun stuff) for two reasons a) I'll maybe develop my own style within this style and also b) it's been hard finding loads of music in this style, so if I do get it nailed, the chances of being found and recognised/listened to is greater as there are far less fish in the pond.

The caveat to this is I'm still and always down for doing other stuff. But I'm only go it when I feel compelled or when a project for it turns up. My focus for now is funk, and mixing.

I want to put out EPs in like whatever I do, maybe a funk one. Maybe a hip hop. Trap. Etc etc. See whatever get traction.

Really appreciate you on the compliments on my abilities. Big love. One of my best attributes is my 'ear' and 'feel'. What let's me down is an ADHD type 'laziness' and genuine high level musicianship. Imho. I wanna get that composition, theory and instrumentalist levels up which I feel I'm lacking and would take me to a whole nother level musically.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
When it comes to what style of beats, I think that just making whatever you're comfortable with is the way to go. If you're looking to be a producer or even just sell beats professionally, then it's a toss up. On one hand you can follow the current trend and make that, but then you'll just be another fish in the pond, or you can make what you make and maybe it will work. Maybe it won't.

However, if your beats sound like a certain producer then it could backfire but also it could work. For example, if someone wants a Dre-sounding beat, they can't buy a beat from Dre so they'll hit up Generic Dre for a lot less.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making beats that sound like they're from ages ago because there's a need for all sorts of genres. There's guys that still make beats like they're stuck in the 90s and it sounds so good because they ARE so good. Just like some modern beatmakers making Trap - some of them stand out because they're really good.

So it doesn't matter what style you make, just be amazing at it and somewhere someone will want to listen to it and/or pay for it.
Very very very very very well said!!!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Generic Dre
you-insult-me-offended.gif

are-you-hitting-on-me-jane-fonda.gif

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Iron Keys @2GooD Productions hell yeah this is a nice discussion.

I think what a lot of people forget (especially with all the tech we have today) is that we just need to create. We often get wrapped up in the audio engineering side of things, which is great too, but there's a time for that and a time to just make something. This is why I love my older MPC because it just simplifies everything and I'm not worrying about making everything perfect. I just make beats. When it comes time to mix in my DAW then I get more technical.

I've always been a big believer that whatever comes out, comes out! There's been times where I wanted to make a certain kind of beat but I always end up doing what I normally do. Just make beats regularly and eventually something will stick.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Why is everyone so focused on trying to get Iron Keys out of his comfort zone? If the guy likes making funk hip-hop let him be. I enjoy listening to 2pac and Dr. Dre every now and then but I could care less about producing a West Coast type beat. Just as some of you enjoy making NY style beats or UK drill/trap, do what you enjoy and have fun doing whether it's for a hobby or business. Me personally, I enjoy the challenge in learning how to produce different genre's of music and honestly I'd prefer electronic music over hip-hop at this phase of my life. Learning how to model my own sounds for bass lines and melodies is extremely rewarding...much more than just copying/pasting samples from the net. There is no higher level of being unique, once you master the art of sound production.

Why is everyone so focused on trying to get Iron Keys out of his comfort zone? If the guy likes making funk hip-hop let him be. I enjoy listening to 2pac and Dr. Dre every now and then but I could care less about producing a West Coast type beat. Just as some of you enjoy making NY style beats or UK drill/trap, do what you enjoy and have fun doing whether it's for a hobby or business. Me personally, I enjoy the challenge in learning how to produce different genre's of music and honestly I'd prefer electronic music over hip-hop at this phase of my life. Learning how to model my own sounds for bass lines and melodies is extremely rewarding...much more than just copying/pasting samples from the net. There is no higher level of being unique, once you master the art of sound production.
Not everyone, just me.

Uh oh. If primz has got a new juiced up machine, when I get my juiced up machine, you can all go back to losing full time.
fr fr. just leave ur old one for me please. then I'll have the most advanced studio in Tehran.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
You @Armani have to be drugged out to “get” Trap and it’s equally atrocious equivalent Mumble Rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.