Beat This! Competition - July 26-27, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just make the music YOU think is fun. There's no need to find a "unique sound" unless you sell beats for a living. My influences are DJ Premier, Timbaland, Danjahandz and the Neptunes. If my beats start sounding too much like them then great!. For me it's about having fun and expressing myself through sound. What I appreciate is feedback on things that we can all improve on like mixing/mastering. I can shit on everyone's beat and give an honest opinion but that's not productive and that's not what I need to hear from anyone on this forum either unless I specifically ask for your input.
at the end of the day yes it needs to be fun, but that soon goes out of the window when you make music a business and you start working for others, it becomes less fun at that point. It really depends on what somebody wants for their music. If they are happy with it just as a hobby then yeah, have fun, because what does it matter? But then if you want to build a career in music then it becomes a lot less fun, because you end up having to do what you have to do, not just what you want to do.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
at the end of the day yes it needs to be fun, but that soon goes out of the window when you make music a business and you start working for others, it becomes less fun at that point. It really depends on what somebody wants for their music. If they are happy with it just as a hobby then yeah, have fun, because what does it matter? But then if you want to build a career in music then it becomes a lot less fun, because you end up having to do what you have to do, not just what you want to do.

That's why I never want to be involved in the music industry. I do this for a hobby so I can express myself freely without any limitations or having to meet someone's expectations because they paid for a beat. Might start a Patreon or something similar so I can share my work and be compensated if someone chooses to subscribe/donate.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
That's why I never want to be involved in the music industry. I do this for a hobby so I can express myself freely without any limitations or having to meet someone's expectations because they paid for a beat. Might start a Patreon or something similar so I can share my work and be compensated if someone chooses to subscribe/donate.
I don't think it'd be like that.

It'd more likely be like how you suggest. No ones likely to blow up making other peoples beats. I don't wanna bother thinking about innterms of trap. It's all the same. So in that case it's purely marketing.

But generally, you'd otherwise be doing your own thing and gain fans then either get signed or do direct to fan selling.

Also, what would be the point in complaining about the voting system? Ego boost I suppose.
honestly my only complaint against you is that you give too many fucks. or in other words you seem a bit too sensitive to complaining. people complain about EVERYTHING. there's a whole lot of marxism n bullshit like that talking bout how man probably used to complain when he was in heaven too. I'm not saying this is heaven -if anything all the homoeroticism is gonna make allah real horny with us- but u get the point. people love this site behind your back, don't worry. people also love it when they're behind your back. or when you're behind their backs, doesn't really matter. we're going to hell.

in other words you seem a bit too sensitive to complaining. people complain about EVERYTHING.
I agree with @Armani here, often times someone complains, then we get into a lets change things AGAIN situation.
Participation is falling over time, as a result the battle results will be a bit more open as there are fewer votes to spread across the contestants. Its just a matter of numbers, and apart from getting more people involved and voting there isnt really much we can do about it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm not sensitive to people complaining, instead I'm annoyed at people complaining, which like you said, happens often. But it's just not necessary so I call it out. Complaining about something that's been debated endlessly is useless, so then I get annoyed.

I wanted to vote for groove genius but couldnt hear the acoustic piano, so voted for the winner instead. Surprised I didnt place, but I suppose its got to the point that so few people are voting that literally anybody can win.
Congrats @Bandia Gotach you got my vote due to the creativity of your track, the mix could have been better, the panning was a bit extreme, but I liked your track.
Thank you and I appreciate the feedback

Uniqueness. Not being typical of what came before it
I'll be honest, I don't know the last time I can say I've heard something original sounding.

I might be spewing bullshit but maybe the better way to think about this issue is in a non-binary way, suggesting that art isn't "either original or not", but more of "it's 73% original" or some shit like that. Currently I feel like you're asking me an impossible question that opens a door to infinite boomplaining, because ANY piece of art that you name is to an extent influenced by a genre/artist/style/era. even if you consciously try to come up with something fully original, you'll still be piecing together things you've experienced before. Don't ever forget that as artists, we're all standing on eachother's shoulders with the mere goal of making the ultimate human centipede.

there are Creators and then there are Creatives. one generates things out of literal nothing, the other pieces together things that are already there to make new things. unfortunately the only possible Creator in the universe is God, and all we can ever be is Creatives. and no, I'm really not religious.

I might be spewing bullshit but maybe the better way to think about this issue is in a non-binary way, suggesting that art isn't "either original or not", but more of "it's 73% original" or some shit like that. Currently I feel like you're asking me an impossible question that opens a door to infinite boomplaining, because ANY piece of art that you name is to an extent influenced by a genre/artist/style/era. even if you consciously try to come up with something fully original, you'll still be piecing together things you've experienced before. Don't ever forget that as artists, we're all standing on eachother's shoulders with the mere goal of making the ultimate human centipede.

there are Creators and then there are Creatives. one generates things out of literal nothing, the other pieces together things that are already there to make new things. unfortunately the only possible Creator in the universe is God, and all we can ever be is Creatives. and no, I'm really not religious.
THAT BEING SAID

There's a shitton of original stuff comin out my g. at least "original enough".

[edit: had the wrong paloma song in]

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544

Exactly.

But this is what I mean also. In a slight counter argument to 2gs comments.

That if you're making xyz genre or style. You kinda have to use a specific set of rules and sounds. So then therefore nothing is really that original.

Re that point - I've never listened to an Ice Cube record that has the kinda sound I have - Dogg Pound, yes. But I'm actually making a different genre. Not even particularly meant to be hiphop.

Re 73% original I think that's a way high amount, I'd say maybe things are most 10% original, and thay originality is the actual musical content. Example

- sampling, not original
- drum patterns, not original
- arrangements, not original
- chord progs, not original
- instruments, not original
- vocals, not original
- genre crossing, not original
- remixing, not original

And even the things you may think are original or experimental probably not thay original either as someone's likely done it, and even if you are the first person to talbox a mile Cyrus song. The idea of reappropriating things is not original.

Despite saying this, originality is still important to me. But I see it more in terms of not just copying or not being generic. Like to -core levels.

My issue with trap say, isn't necessary it 'all sounding the same', so much as the fact that you can hear people are putting ransom trap pattern drums n samples, with random sample loop, and tho the sounds may not clash, they don't sound intentional. The parts sound like random drum loop. Random instrument loop. But not soul or spirit combining the two.
The issue with trap sounding same too is its a minimal genre, and with minimalism you REALLY need to nail it right. Because the simplicity amplifies the content. So if it's generic and random loops, it amplifies that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online