Battle That! Competition - September 13-16, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Mixing on most of the beats is shiet...not that it plays any major role on the outcome. If purely basing votes on mixing alone half of the beats would be disqualified.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Mixing on most of the beats is shiet...not that it plays any major role on the outcome. If purely basing votes on mixing alone half of the beats would be disqualified.
I try to vote on overall 'feel'.

I place musicality above mix. However the musicality can sometimes be affected by the mix, but feel if the musicality was right it would hold the mix together enough.

I also think a lot of the time, people mistake sound quality for 'good mix'. I heard a few beats where the sound quality is good, but mix has issues, or even the mix too is good but the instrumentation/performance just sounds very "VST-like" --- one of my biggest dislikes.

That being said, were a lot of poor mixes/mix choices that jumped out to me this battle.

But yeah, vibe always reigns supreme for me.

I can turn a poorly mixed vibe into a hit; you can't turn a well mixed dud into one.

VVS

Banned
Who would've thought it came down to a trap beat vs a boom bap beat? I'm betting on the boom bap beat winning as I sense there's more old heads vs young on this forum. @Fade after this battle maybe create beat battles based on sub-genre of hip-hop for ex. Trap/Drill, 90's Hip-Hop, West Coast Hip-Hop, East Coast Hip-Hop. Hell, I'd even get more granular than that and throw in chord scales...C#, D min, F maj. Just like some producers prefer making beats for a specific sub-genre, I would also prefer to battle other producers that produce the same type of beats. The drill/trap shiet is played out to me and it's not a fair comparison to put a shiet drill beat versus a NY style boom-bappity beat or a West Coast beat with a funky bassline and synth sounds. If I'm not listening to that shiet on spotify, I don't want to hear that shiet in a beat battle. Feel me???

Do You Understand Saints And Sinners GIF by Bounce

Who would've thought it came down to a trap beat vs a boom bap beat? I'm betting on the boom bap beat winning as I sense there's more old heads vs young on this forum. @Fade after this battle maybe create beat battles based on sub-genre of hip-hop for ex. Trap/Drill, 90's Hip-Hop, West Coast Hip-Hop, East Coast Hip-Hop. Hell, I'd even get more granular than that and throw in chord scales...C#, D min, F maj. Just like some producers prefer making beats for a specific sub-genre, I would also prefer to battle other producers that produce the same type of beats. The drill/trap shiet is played out to me and it's not a fair comparison to put a shiet drill beat versus a NY style boom-bappity beat or a West Coast beat with a funky bassline and synth sounds. If I'm not listening to that shiet on spotify, I don't want to hear that shiet in a beat battle. Feel me???

Do You Understand Saints And Sinners GIF by Bounce
my good sir, you've been infected with the BH disease. no matter how hard you try to hide it, whatever you say for the next [from 2 days, up to 2 weeks] will respectedly smell like burnt ass. happens to the best of us. you should've seen me when I lost my first battle that. all the voters will suddenly looked like retards and everyone should've cleaned their ears n shit like that. you gotta get used to it tho; everywhere you go, people got their own way of hearing music. the shit I play for artist A as his album hit would make artist B feel deeply disappointed and throw a hand grenade through my window.

the battle that is all about illness, that's why we got the rest of the year filled with themes, you can easily win a season by winning enough of those. in here I've seen mfs win with trap beats, boom bap, drill (ok maybe less drill), west coast, east coast, that south dakota sound, camel roars, Kanye massaging a lasagna, gay se- you get the point. the voters defo carry a certain taste but again, that's how it is everywhere. if you can't get used to that then tryna make it in the b'ness is gonna be a PAIN.

now go keep on makin them sick sounds, you venturesome fella, maybe next year I'll be the one to kick your ass and ruin your mood. promise it'll be way better than losing to some random muggle.

Happy Lord Of The Rings GIF

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I'm betting on the boom bap beat winning as I sense there's more old heads vs young on this forum.
I don't like these kind of posts during active battle. Feel they can be influencing.

It could ironically work for or against, but either way, may make people start changing their votes based on such ideological voting etc.

I think its quite cute a boom bap vs Trap final. For me personally, it's a dilemma.

I like what one is doing/trying, but prefer the sound of the other, but it's not mixed as well. Whaddayado

VVS

Banned
I don't like these kind of posts during active battle. Feel they can be influencing.

It could ironically work for or against, but either way, may make people start changing their votes based on such ideological voting etc.

I think its quite cute a boom bap vs Trap final. For me personally, it's a dilemma.

I like what one is doing/trying, but prefer the sound of the other, but it's not mixed as well. Whaddayado

If my words sway the votes more towards the boom-bappity beat than so be it! I expect everyone to decide based on their own opinion vs following what I say like blind sheep. I have no dog on this fight, I got disqualified, I don't know who produced what beat. I think I've expressed my opinion many times and will continue to do so because I can't stand that trash ass style of beat.

Fail Just For Laughs GIF

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
If my words sway the votes more towards the boom-bappity beat than so be it! I expect everyone to decide based on their own opinion vs following what I say like blind sheep. I have no dog on this fight, I got disqualified, I don't know who produced what beat. I think I've expressed my opinion many times and will continue to do so because I can't stand that trash ass style of beat.

Fail Just For Laughs GIF
I'm saying it could even work against...

Maybe people were going to vote the boombap then thought, hm no its already "bound to win".

I do too sometimes hate when it's say trap v boombap, because you get the feeling it's going to come down to how many 'old heads' vs 'new heads' vote.

But yeah, I think maybe like some others are expressing ... beat battles can be a shitty thing, it often feels personal, we've all been there. And even when it's not personal per se it feels like some kind of moral or societal battle of ideology of which hip hop style or subgenre is worthy of winning (or even entering).

I've personally voted for trap many times... I've even entered and won battles with it. Despite the fact I largely dislike the samey-same sounding of it.

I think the samey-same is largely down to how worldwide everything is now, and its the current genre that was popping when everyone suddenly had access to top class music making tools and YouTube tutorials. Everyone's downloading the same sounds and copying the same tutorial to copy the same ('type') beat.

Take drill for example... it's kind of a shame because for it to sound drill, it has to have the same hat/perc pattern. And those same distorted 808 slides. Just like how all trap uses the pitched hihat rolls. They even come prerolled and prepitched.

At the end of the day, good music is good music, and that transcends genre. Just hope that majority have the ears to discern that.

VVS

Banned
I'm saying it could even work against...

Maybe people were going to vote the boombap then thought, hm no its already "bound to win".

I do too sometimes hate when it's say trap v boombap, because you get the feeling it's going to come down to how many 'old heads' vs 'new heads' vote.

But yeah, I think maybe like some others are expressing ... beat battles can be a shitty thing, it often feels personal, we've all been there. And even when it's not personal per se it feels like some kind of moral or societal battle of ideology of which hip hop style or subgenre is worthy of winning (or even entering).

I've personally voted for trap many times... I've even entered and won battles with it. Despite the fact I largely dislike the samey-same sounding of it.

I think the samey-same is largely down to how worldwide everything is now, and its the current genre that was popping when everyone suddenly had access to top class music making tools and YouTube tutorials. Everyone's downloading the same sounds and copying the same tutorial to copy the same ('type') beat.

Take drill for example... it's kind of a shame because for it to sound drill, it has to have the same hat/perc pattern. And those same distorted 808 slides. Just like how all trap uses the pitched hihat rolls. They even come prerolled and prepitched.

At the end of the day, good music is good music, and that transcends genre. Just hope that majority have the ears to discern that.

"I've even entered and won battles with it. Despite the fact I largely dislike the samey-same sounding of it." - That's exactly the problem with beat battles that aren't sub-genre specific. I shouldn't have to even think about uploading yet another trash-ass-generic-fruity-loop-808-bass-sliding-hi-hat-pitched-trap-beat.

"At the end of the day, good music is good music, and that transcends genre. Just hope that majority have the ears to discern that.". - Trap/Drill music IS NOT good music. Trap is in the same category as AutoTuned vocals, it will eventually fade away into oblivion. Don't even get me started on the artists and lyrics.

VVS

Banned
Congratulations to @2GooD Productions! Well deserved win!

To be clear..I'm not shitting on anyone on this forum specifically. We're all talented and choose to produce the music we enjoy.

lol, 5 years. Never thought it would ever happen. I was totally unprepared for this one, didnt even mean to use the round 2 and 3 beats, wanted to use something else, but last minute dot com realised I had to upload my beats after seeing @Iron Keys comment about upload confirmation. So rushed quickly in 5 mins to pick my beats and fucked up the selection. Never thought Id get past round 2. Was always going to use my beat for the final, I think its the best beat Ive made all year. Thanks for the votes, and sorry @Armani , was only 2 points behind me lmao. Thats funny, in a fucked up way, you worked so hard to get there.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
YES I knew (and hoped) it was Memento and 2Good (didn't wanna bait it up tho).

I despise 2Good for beating me with an emo-bap beat. Despise. 3rd time b2b winning cunt :LOL:

Congrats bro.

So the "one I like what it's doing" is @Memento Beats and the one I like the sound of is @2GooD Productions
- Memz, I love that it's drill but it's kinda Eastern sounds (I planned on doing this before so was like oi, my plan!). 2G nice beat it felt a little strained tho, am I right in thinking you hit the 2bus limiter extra hard in these battles? Sounds that way to me.

Also, this is the furthest I've come in a Battle That. I'm fairly confident I would have won the final if I got through R3 - my R3 was my poorest executed beat. If I had more time on it I coulda pipped 2G and my final beat is fire.

Good fun and games, I hope I'll get to give each beat an analysis but don't think I'll get time. Maybe I'll do one end of month in a Lab thread.

And as always... would love to hear your thoughts on my beats.

(Ha for once @Armani you were completely wrong, I guess I'll have to put Monkey noises next time :p:LOL:

Love and ILL

Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online