Apples, And oranges.. But why Reason over FL?

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Its probably just the interface thats kinda scary, But i just purchased Reason 3, And feel i waisted $300.

The sequencer isnt good at all, I cant figure out the "Hotkey's" for the transpose button's, It's hard to edit whats been recorded threw Midi [Thus far, Man i miss good 'ol piano roll], Dont support VST's, Ect..

I dont see why people like it? If it were possible, I'd return it right now, And purchase NI Komplete even with the $900 differnce.

Maybe after a few more day's, Ill learn how to work with it and like it just as much.

but for now, ::Gasp:: I'd take FL studio over Reason anyday..

But, Since i own it now, Anyone know how to rewire it to FL6? I opened a Rewire channel in FL6, Choose reason, then when i click "Show panel" i get this:

"This is the first time youve run reason, Before you run reason in Rewire mode you need to run it as a standalone, And setit up. [Then a list of step's]"

I been using Reason all day, What do i need to set-up?

O

open mind

just do what the fuckin prog tells you."This is the first time youve run reason, Before you run reason in Rewire mode you need to run it as a standalone, And setit up. [Then a list of step's]"

after that it should work as a REWIRE.good luck.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
z0n3d0u7 said:
Its probably just the interface thats kinda scary, But i just purchased Reason 3, And feel i waisted $300.

The sequencer isnt good at all, I cant figure out the "Hotkey's" for the transpose button's, It's hard to edit whats been recorded threw Midi [Thus far, Man i miss good 'ol piano roll], Dont support VST's, Ect..

?

LMFAO. Thats cuz your wack. PERIOD.

nah... but its easy as SHIT to edit in reason so i dont know wth u are talking about honestly. It has the same "piano roll" as FL, by a different name. The only thing different is the colors, and the zoom (which you can adjust). The piano roll is actually exactly like FL... except the quantize is better, and you have more control over the length of notes you draw..

REASON:
reason2.jpg

FL:
9.png

Looks the same to me.. except the one on FL is full screen.. but GUESS WHAT... You can make the reason one full screen, OR you can give it its own application window all together. wow............

This is what prolly scared you, and got you slandering Reason:
dal02.jpg

-NOVA

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Slandering's a pretty harsh word. Maybe i just gotta figure my way around it, which will take time. But so far, I feel i should stick to what i already know / use.

And openmind, I've set everything i know about up.. It is however the first time i've ever "Rewired" anything, What is it that needs to be set-up? Battery2 work's just fine "Rewired" to fl6, Just reason giving me problems.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
^ hehe, battery rewired to fl? that doesnt seem right. Rewire is only for propellerhead products such as reason. u are just opening the VST of Battery in FL 6.

Opening up reason is completely different.

Make sure u open FL first.

make sure reason is NOT open.

create new REWIRE channel.

on the REWIRE channel properties, choose REASON from the dropdown menu.

click on "enable.. active.." or whatever the button says (still in the channel properties) and reason will load up.

everything should be working from there.

Sorry i dont remember exactly what the buttons and stuff say, i havent touched FL in almost a year.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
how can u tell something is wack if you even dont know how to use it at this moment? maybe change your perspective about producing and learning all together?
and i dont even use reason but thats one bad way to start a topic,,,, lucky for you most peeps are willing to help and are ignoring your simple view upon things.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like 'em both, but there's always stuff I wish was different.

FL Studio - needs linear sequencer tracks and better control over note length in piano roll

Reason - Needs VST support.

Reason, by itself, is pretty powerful. The synths are nice, fx sounds good, and the samplers are excellent. Right outta the box, I'd give the edge to Reason every day of the week and twice on Sunday. FL Studio is easy to get around the moment you fire it up. It takes very little effort to get something going in FL Studio. The included synths are "eh", and the included fx are ok at best. Things change when you start adding to it, which you can't do in Reason. FL Studio becomes a monster once you load it up with 3rd party fx and synths and can kick Reasons' ass when properly loaded.

Either way, I STILL need to rewire both of them to Cubase or ProTools in order to take up the slack for their deficiencies.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
z0n3d0u7 said:

LOL thats funny that you think that but I'm sure Propellorhead doesn't care if weak producers like their product or not. Sequencing in FL Studio is for little kids and can't touch the flexibility and quick workflow in Reason's setup. In fact the only advantage FL has over reason is vst support but rewire makes that even less of an issue. Sorry but I don't like it when people talk down on things they don't even understand and you are obviously new to producing so you should keep your opinions to yourself to avoid looking like an idiot.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
mikemat said:
LOL thats funny that you think that but I'm sure Propellorhead doesn't care if weak producers like their product or not. Sequencing in FL Studio is for little kids and can't touch the flexibility and quick workflow in Reason's setup. In fact the only advantage FL has over reason is vst support but rewire makes that even less of an issue. Sorry but I don't like it when people talk down on things they don't even understand and you are obviously new to producing so you should keep your opinions to yourself to avoid looking like an idiot.

FL Studio is only missing linear sequencing tracks, that's it. The sequencer in both Reason and FL Studio is mickey-mouse compared to Cubase, Sonar, or even the one in Power Tracks Pro. I really don't see a point in saying that "Sequencing in FL Studio is for little kids " when, to a seasoned vet, sequencing in either one is for little kids.

For what they are, both sequencers aren't bad, but neither can compare to even basic old-school Atari ST sequencers.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Roman was not Built in a day Damn it took God 7 days to make the earth what makes you think you will learn Reason in 1 hr I say if you give it the same amount as god took to make the earth you should be at a descent comfort level within a week and be able to bang out a couple beats.

Comparing Reason is like Comparing Playstation and Xbox it comes down to personal preference

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
konceptG said:
FL Studio is only missing linear sequencing tracks, that's it. The sequencer in both Reason and FL Studio is mickey-mouse compared to Cubase, Sonar, or even the one in Power Tracks Pro. I really don't see a point in saying that "Sequencing in FL Studio is for little kids " when, to a seasoned vet, sequencing in either one is for little kids.

For what they are, both sequencers aren't bad, but neither can compare to even basic old-school Atari ST sequencers.

Actually... The sequencing in Reason is pretty identical to cubase and sonar.. Only thing different is that the modules are up top. The transport panel is pretty much the same... same basic features as far as editing, grouping, quantize, and moving etc... I actually find it easier to group in reason and edit extranalities like velocity.

among other similarities... loop points, markers, zoom, edit view, multitrack view, ability to adjust properties for each track. ability to turn sequencer into its own window, etc

J-Beats

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Reason over FL6, only beacause of the sounds.

as far as putting a beat in a song format FL6 wins. if FL had as many varietys of sounds not those corny ass techno presets. but overall, FL6 is way easier n better.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sanova said:
Actually... The sequencing in Reason is pretty identical to cubase and sonar.. Only thing different is that the modules are up top. The transport panel is pretty much the same... same basic features as far as editing, grouping, quantize, and moving etc... I actually find it easier to group in reason and edit extranalities like velocity.

among other similarities... loop points, markers, zoom, edit view, multitrack view, ability to adjust properties for each track. ability to turn sequencer into its own window, etc

They're different. Soooooo different it's not even funny. Get deep into sequencing, hardcore sequencing like I had to do before software synths, and you'll see that there's a huge difference between sequencing with Reason and Cubase/Sonar/Logic/etc.

O

open mind

u dont know wich one is better? well its pure MATHEMATICS wich one has more features? after the math it cant be r*****.no doubt some like this some like that but the MATH speaks for itself.

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
fl baby all the way there is nothing really you cant do with it and the fight of which is better is a battle that will never end.

all the fl heads are gonna say fruity and all the reason heads will say reason so just try both and see which works for you

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
What you need to do is Rewire it to Cubase and all will be solved. The midi interface in cubase is easy as one two three.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
eww. reason owns fl. lol. u can customize ish so much faster using all those wires in the back. just add something, flip it around and wire it up. so flexible. WIRESSSSS. learn how to use them. just mess around with all those wires until you learn what they do. then use them to ur advantage.

Yet Reason STILL can't use VST's, which FL can to expand it's arsenal of sound sources far beyond that of Reason.