WTF is a mixtape????

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Where's "Pre-Dawn: the mixtape"?

Yall sound real detached. The BEST artists by todays standards release mixtapes that alot say are better than their album. Its just promo, I'll give you 15 songs to get my name on the blogs and make me relevant then I drop the album while people are checkin for me and I can get interviews off the easy. Simple.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Where's "Pre-Dawn: the mixtape"?

lol Dawn was the mixtape. Called it an Ep. A rose by different names.

Edit: And I guess it've been called twilight, but I cant bare to hear that name anymore lol

But its all music, if its good, who cares??

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
mix cd sounds gay and scratching isn't the hyp anymore. n i agree these shits r either overproduced ALBUMs or home studio cats that can't put out a album.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
..Wait LDB has this right on.. The explanation , yet also something I need to debate on this.
Look Coles shit is an actual full fledged album.. And its a good one, Cole REALLY didnt need anyone if he was making ish like that.. No seriously, thats a good ALBUM.

Everybody says his "mixtape" was better than his album....creatively he probably got handcuffed on the actual album put out by the label. It's that "control yo shit" factor"....and he's not the only one that that has happened to. Dude gotta pay his bills so it is wut it is I guess. Let's not forget he's a fairly new artist...he'll probably get better and get more creative control once he shows the label he can sell records. He probably had to go with the labels "in house" producers on 95% of the album when on his mixtape he had some raw no name cats bangin' out beats.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Everybody says his "mixtape" was better than his album....creatively he probably got handcuffed on the actual album put out by the label. It's that "control yo shit" factor"....and he's not the only one that that has happened to. Dude gotta pay his bills so it is wut it is I guess. Let's not forget he's a fairly new artist...he'll probably get better and get more creative control once he shows the label he can sell records. He probably had to go with the labels "in house" producers on 95% of the album when on his mixtape he had some raw no name cats bangin' out beats.

Creative control is a huge factor, except some underground artists (The Gibbs or Mac Millers of the blog game) Are secretly signed WAYYY before they get on the blogs. Saying they are "indie", and words like mixtape, and DIY, have become branding and marketing tools

^^ Random info in hindsight, kind of lol

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
these days, i look at a mixtape as the album that alot artists would like to have on the radio... a lot dirtier, with more things they would like to do... if u make 20-30 songs, not every one makes the cut... and theyll prolly never get released.. so u slap them together, and call it a mix tape... try to get make money off of it urself.

da relic

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Ok, how about we define each? A blend tape is a DJ cuttin? a Mixtape is Random tracks? What else, lets make this a productive thread

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
On the real.....a lot of mix tapes are djless because the big name dj's want an arm and a leg for hosting/kuttin' on ya shit. Them dudes try to get paid more than the artist or producers. Artist got hip to the game and are now side stepping them greedy bastards and I don't blame 'em.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
everything that does not deserve or want to be perceived as an official album i'd say. the want part is what was added in meaning over time.

however, i agree a real mixtape is a cassette with a dj mix on it.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
A mixtape USED to be that....

That's like saying that you shouldn't listen to music on CDs.

Mixtapes used to be what was described. a collection of tracks mixed/scratched together.

Mixtapes became almost like an album where artists have more creative control on what is released because the labels don't slap their names on it.

A lot of times the mixtapes truly showcase an artist's skill. They also create a buzz for a release of an official album.

To be honest......I'd rather listen to an artist's mixtape rather than the album. The album is full of radio friendly tracks and unnecessary fillers.

It's definitely not 2nd rate tracks, just tracks that the label won't put out.

Now the records that were dropped after 2pac died were 2nd rate records, because they were never released.. If he were never killed, we would've never heard any of those records, I'm sure.

Drake's mixtape is what put him on the map, dude had a hit single that came off the mixtape, before dude was even officially signed. The mixtape was decent......the album...not so much.

It's to create a buzz for the artist....

Stop it guys...you do sound pretty old.... You're like the parents that listen to the radio and say "that's not music"

Stop it 5. <--lmao

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
....for example.

Ludacris couldn't really release this record on his album... I don't see the labels pushing this record....
So you release this on the mixtape to get people buzzin...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
As it is No, but get rid of all the bs, clean this beat up and add some southern swag factor to it, yeah it could go on an album, get pushed and possibly blow. The cartoon actually took away from the song imo, imagine that a video directed by Hype with todays video technologies and real people getting wild in it. That ish would have the potential to be bananas.

Russell Simmons was on the BET awards last night saying LL's "I need love" wasn't supposed to go on the album and I bet just about every true head can recite over half the lyrics of that song today.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I disagree, thnk it needs to make a comeback, its part of the overall artform, Im surprised no one yelled at you for saying that! lol

He knows NOT what he types....he got a pass! Kuttin' and scratchin' puts the hip in hop. Youngins......I tell ya!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
ILL should release mixtapes between the ILL comps. LOL Well why not?

The quickest way to get mass support on ILL is to get others involved. A mixtape would not be a bad idea at all. Get about 30 tracks together, put together a committee to vote on which tracks make the cut, get some MC's on the them and put it out for FREE with everybody doing there part to promote it.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Someone needs to get the yeah or nay from fade but I think its a good idea and yeah I know we've tried it many times before but this is a new day. We just need someone with the right drive to make it all happen. Set a schedule and follow it through to the end.