"Ears instead of eyes"
mpcplus.JPG

To all the MPC users state why you love(or hate) your machine

class....

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Look man Ya'll know I SWARE by my MPC....I love my mpc because I can program really some realistic stuff & patterns, I have had other samplers but the timing and sequencing just is VERY hard to find in other sequencers...and the way my drums sound dope...but I heard some beats on the computer that are just as good but........I like loading an acoustic drumset in here and then make a beat, I do that a lot to amaze myself....it sounds just like a real drummer.....(I play the drums also).....but...right now I am in between machines that I really like to have...my first akai machine was a 2000 fully loaded with FX card 8 outs and ROM..so it saved a certain number of samples even when you turn it off......my 2nd akai machine...a 3000.....man I loved that machine but lately it started giving me some problems...timing clock, screen and I got sick of the floppy so I got rid of it...

but recently I had to buy a new machine...I bought a 1000 and being an old head I do not have bad things to say about the machine, i like the built in compressor and eq and other affects...except I wish I had time stretch and zones......

I think my next step is a 2500 because it will be affordable

Good thread to talk about your gear

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
because it doesnt crash, skip a beat, or fuckup
because it is the most simplistic and fun way to make beats
because the gleamy white 4000 looks sooo bad ass on my desk........ its the only thing in my room that i dust and clean on a regular basis lol

really it comes back to the simplicity and efficiency i have when makin beats.... I feel totally in control when im at the mp......computers are great but me personally i just like the quick workflow that i have on the mpc.. i can lay down tracks in a few minutes and there is no waiting, no compromise, just me and the pads..

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
The Seqeuncer! Hands down. I love that I can transfer old sequences that I've done on the ASR into the MPC and make the sequences tighter and because of those lovely PADS!! It's more natural to bang drums on drum pads than on keys. It's pretty simple to use plus I love being able to SEE waveforms for editing.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Dam Holmz, i thought u copped a 2000XL>?.....You went all the way to the 4K huh!?....DOPE!

(PS - Class: You should fabricate a small wooden box/rack for yer Motifs....that would look clean and house them better for hella cheap, plus when u smash those pads on yer MP you wont be rammin the sucker into the racks.....Just a thought i had after i peeped yer pic..LOL...thats what i would do anyways...haha)

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
it samples, tight sequencer, tight pads(can bang the sh!t out of them), its size, MIDI implementation...my first MPC;my first LOVE! MPC 1000 biatchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Wattz21XX

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hmmm...
I loved my 4000 cause of its simplicity and how fast I could bang out beats n feel productive as opposed to just click n point. but I honestly been neglecting my mp.
I still chop my samples on Acid and after using my boys 1000, for some reason I like the pads on it better and I like the ease of being able to play/make beats live wit the whole poly thing n all that. there's more menus n stuff u gotta go thru on the 4000. and then I got my laptop wit FL that I still use a lot since I'm barely home.
damn... I gotta rekindle that flame me n my MP had before.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you don't need a manual to get started. Just load a program. Hit play and records and you can started.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I love my MPC more then words can describe ... LOL

I didn't write this ...

thoughts on MPC vs. Computer.

I like the portability and durability of the MPC's. Well, software can be durable in CDROM format, but the computer that uses it necessarily isn't.

The MPC is also designed to handle 120F stage lights and high humidity environments. Computers are not. Even though the MPC is a `specialized computer`, performance gear in general is better at handling, gigging and other unfriendly environments.

Cost is a consideration. A computer with software and additional hardware accessories to perform stuff as easily and effortlessly as an MPC will cost you at least as much as an MPC. Please don't say, `I already have a computer, so I won't count the cost of that`. That's like saying it will only cost you $50 for a few records to be a DJ and neglecting the cost of a turntables.

Resale value. I know we do not buy gear knowing that we will sell it at a later date. But if you ever decide that it is not for you, guess which item you can get more of your cost back out of it if you do ever sell. Today, you cannot give away a computer (or software) that was made in 1987, however, you can fetch anywhere from $700 to $1200 for even a beat up MPC60 from the same year. Same story for the rest of the MPC series. They have a good way of holding on to a very good resale value even as Akai releases newer and better models. I know not know of another manufacturer's product that has this luxury. This, BTW, was the reason Akai re-released the MPC3000. Akai looked around and saw the 2nd prices of the original MPC3000's and thought, jeez way don't we just re-release this thing and tap into this hot market.

Ease of use. I have tried out of the software packages but have been mesmerized by the amount of fluff that has been packed into it. Almost enough to make you forget why you are using the software in the first place. The more advanced the software, the longer it takes to learn and the longer it takes to get the simplest of tasks done.

Lastly, and probably the most important, is the interface. Software does not have pads, dials, buttons and an NV slider, but it goes far beyond this. There is something about the immediate instant gratification that an MPC delivers that software can't. Notes are easily entered, samples easily trimmed, quick boot-up time, parameters easily changed and editing quickly performed. The only maintenance required is a occasional OS update (about twice a year) that takes about 2 minutes to complete. I do not even want to into detail about maintenance and updates required by the computer and software. I would also mention that while software based production has much nicer visual interface than an MPC, this can still be a curse. Music is meant to be heard, not seen. I hear too much music that sounds like it was painted by numbers on a computer screen instead of being listened to as it was made, like you are forced to do on an MPC.

You will likely find that software or an MPC will assist you in making your final product (a track) equally well, but half the fun is getting there. If I cannot use something that I enjoy to help me down that road, why even bother?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
LOL i've got a MPC 1000 and i can't get on with it i just haven't found a good way of using it to benefit me yet but i got a load more stuff arriving any day now so hopefully when thats alll up and running it will fit in place !? anyone with an MPC1K how do you use yours in your setup ?

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i love my 1k because i love working with that neon green screen in the dark... because i like working audially and not visually.... because with the pads i can actually feel what im playing more, and it feels good, and because it works so effectively in tandem with my tts and my midi keyboard.

members online