Why are we dumbing down HipHop?

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
It's all Lil' John's fault. lol
It's actually a shame that the state of hip hop has to be determined by what is being pushed in the mainstream. Hip Hop is so diversified that to only use the mainstream as a measurement of whether it is dead or alive is totally wrong.
As far as the dumbing down of hip hop goes; there is dumb hip hop coming from all sides at any given time nowadays. That being said, and I 've noticed alot of you tap dancing around where to place the blame for it; you can put it on the economy, the record labels the consumer or even the artists themselves.
There are many factors that contribute to the dumbing down of hip hop. Granted that sometimes we need a break from all the seriousness of the world; we also have the need to be educated and uplifted by what we hear.
I am by no means mad at the south for bringing that fun back into hip hop. At the time when this stuff was realized it was a breath of fresh air in the world of hip hop. It was time for a break from all of the seriousness. Earlier we used to fall back on Booty music for that. After it died out there was really no other release for the mainstream. Thus the onslaught of the R&B hip hop infusion.
Then enter Crunk. To me it was unintelligent chant music from the start; but it filled that void of club hype that was kind of missing after Booty music died. I accepted it for what it was and drove on.
Now it has gotten totally out of control and needs to be addressed. Now every half- assed wanna be has jumped on the bandwagon, and the influx of stupidity has become overwhelming.
I hate to say it but I have to be real about it. The majority of it does come from the south. Not all of it but the majority of it. I believe the reason for this is because this style originated there in the first place. I mean; Laffy Taffy, The Hokey Pokey, Crank That Spiderman, I got Me Some Bapes? GTFOH!! And the list goes on. Not too long ago; the south to me was artists like UGK, Goodie Mob, Outkast, 8-Ball & MJG, Scarface,Big Mike,Rahiem The Vigilante,lol, among others. These were emcees with something to say, articulate writers who atleast annunciated correctly.
I'm not hatin' on the south by any means so those of you from the south don't take it personally. As a matter of fact; even though I don't like any of Souljah Boy's songs, I think it was very intelligent the way he marketed himself and made his own videos in order to become a brand and sell. What I don't like is the way that he and others like him get on the mic and speak like they have never learned english before. Southern drawl is one thing; but straight up ignorant belligerance is another. Having lived in the south for many years I know the difference. So now I see honor roll students walking around talking like they have never seen the inside of a book just because this song is the latest trend and that's the way he does it.
And where do we put the blame for that? On the artist for giving it to them; or them for accepting it? Or maybe even the industry for promoting it?It seems like we are all "face down in the mainstream" in one way or another.

ONE

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
you know, no matter how you look at it, it is what it is. radio has never been the forefront on breakin (new and fresh) music, it has just been an avenue where cats can make loot off of it. basically you have always had to look outside the box to find something different. thats the way it is and probably will always be!!!

if any of you guys are so upset about these conglamorates that have taken over, start burning down record stores and make threats to radio stations. j/k but for real, aint nothin going to take the silver spoon out of the mouths that have tasted what silver tastes like,,, you feel me!!!!!!!!

.. . ELDIA . ..

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Crank dat Soulja Boy while we're at it.
As we move on, shit changes.
So it may be cool to look dumb now, but everybody will look at it in 10 years and say "What the fuck? We did that shit?"

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
mainstream/popular music has always been a more simplified and palatable form for the masses. we all listen to music for our own reasons, as with all ent. some want to forget their troubles and the world, others want to be uplifted and inspired, others want to feel aggressive or passive, etc. it's an escape to or from. as far as radioplay, it's built on ads. period. what can get the ratings which justify the ad airtime. i hardly know anyone who still listens to radio commercial or community/college let alone sat. and net.

hip hop is life and life is great and it sucks, good and bad, beautiful and ugly, smart and dumb, timeless and disposable, etc all at the same time.

i know where and who to get my dose of intelligent and ig'nant music from when i'm in the mood but i've always felt uneasy when folks advocate a negative music fatwa. we all don't travel on the side of angels, i know i don't despite the name.

ronp

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I've been kicking this one around a couple of days.

you guys seen the movie "idiocracy"?

just look around we had bush (who has admitted that he doesn't read) as a president for eight years. reality shows (no writers just idiots creating there own drama). Cali actually voted the terminator their governor...america's dumbing down...hip hop's just a casualty.

members online