Why are we dumbing down HipHop?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Seriously, cats from the topics on they albums to the spelling of shit on the cover to the image in the video has kids out here who are perfectly smart walkin around lookin and soundin dumb as hell.
The style that the cops LOVE is this retarded pants around ya knees so yall walkin round like you got a dirty ass diaper on cant run type shit too.

STOP doin the dumb thing...
At the risk of sounding old as hell I gotta state when I was commin up , you would get laughed the fuck out the ring if you werent smart on the lyrics and what you could speak on in the cypher.

I and my compadres that are nearest to me are personally embarassed the way the south is seemingly leading the trend in dumbing shit down..
Ie :Lil john comes off ignant gangsta when in fact cuz is smart as hell.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Who remembers MC hammer?

mc_hammer.jpg

You really telling me Hip Hop has dumbed down? I thinks not. Its always been like this, in one form or another. Its like all this Hip Hop Is dead stuff, its used to sell records and create publicity. When in reality Nas was on some crunk shit with "Quick To Back Down", he will jump on anything to sell records look at "Oochie Wally". But he is quick to turn around and blame Crunk for the decline of quality Hip Hop.

Hip Hop ain't dumbed down, your talking about pop artists. Hip Hop is alive your just looking in the wrong place.

NW

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Who remembers MC hammer?

mc_hammer.jpg

You really telling me Hip Hop has dumbed down? I thinks not. Its always been like this, in one form or another. Its like all this Hip Hop Is dead stuff, its used to sell records and create publicity. When in reality Nas was on some crunk shit with "Quick To Back Down", he will jump on anything to sell records look at "Oochie Wally". But he is quick to turn around and blame Crunk for the decline of quality Hip Hop.

Hip Hop ain't dumbed down, your talking about pop artists. Hip Hop is alive your just looking in the wrong place.

NW

Man, where in the hell did you find this picture? LOL!!!!!!!

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
Who remembers MC hammer?

mc_hammer.jpg

NW

bwuahahahahah.... pumps and a rump, pumps and a rump! LMAO.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
the problem with hip hop is...it is dead...know why? because the dj is not put in the forefront of the show anymore, so called real hip hoppers think beat boxing and breakin is played out, and not many could throw up a tag that looks worth a dam. like Rel said half these cats rhymes are trash too. Take heed I just listed the 5 elements of hip hop. See I can talk this shit because I'm from the golden years. WHAT!!!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Great pic yo!!! LOLOLOL OMG

But seriously, Im talkin about lil kids on the come up...
What they have to look at as far as inspiration is dudes who could care less if they lyrics influence kids to want to act dumb and go to jail..
I come from the perspective of : StepChild works at a group home and has for a while now so he knows what it is, got kids who are in mega deep trouble.
MC's that are about nothing are they biggest influence..
Me with my old ass was heavy influenced by say PE, from production to philosophy..KRS, PRT , Brand Nubians,Hell Biz Markie.. None of these people said SELL CRACK. Even Ice T didnt SAY do it, he had a moral at the end of his stories...
See?
No Morals as I see, no edumacation.. Wonder why the Prison "Industry" is flourishing..
These artists are the biggest marketers of it... NO?
Lets ask TI.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
the problem with hip hop is...it is dead...know why? because the dj is not put in the forefront of the show anymore, so called real hip hoppers think beat boxing and breakin is played out, and not many could throw up a tag that looks worth a dam. like Rel said half these cats rhymes are trash too. Take heed I just listed the 5 elements of hip hop. See I can talk this shit because I'm from the golden years. WHAT!!!

You got your opinion, which is fine, but here is my take on things...

Just because the DJ isn't always put up in the very front of the show, doesn't mean hip hop is dead. Saying that couple of dudes around the way are saying that beat boxing and break dancing is played out, doesn't mean that their aren't B Boy contests holding it down in other states (I heard bout 1 going down in Portland, holla @ 5th Sequence). An just because some cats completely suck at graffiti and puttin out rhymes that are barely understandable, doesn't mean this art form is over and that everyone should throw in the towel and find something else to do.

Hip hop is alive no doubt in my mind, even though this art is dumbing down. I just don't pay attention to mainstream artists that I don't like and the whole hyphy trend (just not my thing, no disrespect to those who like that stuff). As long their are people out there keeping this alive, then its not dead. Fads come and go, but you can't kill off a whole culture based on the fact that there is some wack crap out there. Look at J Live, Common, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Little Brother, Rhymefest, Rakim, Dialated Peoples, The Roots, Jurassic 5, and the thousands of talented underground artists that are contributing to Hip Hop. You are going to tell them that they should just stop because not as many peeps are taggin the subways, or there aren't as many breakers as there were in the late 80s, or DJs aren't as popular (not to mention Babu, Cut Chemist, Premier, Mix Master Mike, Q Bert, etc. etc.), or the next Lil ____ is on MTV awards and bangin on the local radio station every other song, or beatboxing isn't at its prime.

Believe me, I hate the current state as much as a lot of others, but it can't fully end hip hop.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
everydbody is getting sick of dumbed down hip hop ... its a slow process but its slowly reversing... look at the charts.. nobody is buying this trash anymore like they used too... there is plenty of dope music out there ... the problem is that you have to look really hard to find it becasue labels are not exploting it yet... i agree that the message is not the same though .. its such a bad look to promote drugs... especially somebody who caters there music to kids but at the same time only talks that d-boy shit ala young joc & company. Those are the niggas i hate .. u cant be mad at someone like soujaboy cuz he just talks about partyin and shit and hes just a kid.. but someone like young joc is not a good look... he basically makes childrens music that promotes d-boyism (if thats a word lol). aint no grown ass man buying a young joc album and if they do they need to be shot. so for dudes like him to promote that shit is ignorrant and whack as fuc.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.

Benny BuKu

BAD NEWS
ill o.g.
Who remembers MC hammer?

mc_hammer.jpg

NW

yo, aint nothin wrong w/ expanding your horizons...yeah Nas did a crunk joint...and that oochie wally shit. But in comparison...in the last 15 years....aint too many dudes in the game that made more real hip hop than him. So to point him out in this thread is crazy. Especially since all he said was Hip Hop is dead....he aint say Crunk killed it. It's just rappers in the south took it personally...like they felt guilty or something. Started rockin they "Hip Hop aint Dead, it just lives in the South" t-shirts. Which was real funny to me.
Anyway, I agree w/ Ash....I think that trend is startin to turn around.......slowly.
But it's up to us to continue that movement. I mean....we are all tryin to accomplish something here. Me personally....I'd rather be remembered as a real hip hop emcee and be able to live off the shit comfortably, than to be stupid rich and be remembered as a ring tone rapper...aka Soulja Boy, Joc, that dumb mafucka that sings that "then you get some *%$# in the front seat of the hummer".....I don't care how old any of them are....but Ash is right...don't be mad at them....be mad at the consumer....the dj's, and them wack dudes that allow them talentless mafuckas to eat.

"Most importantly thanks to you, the CUSTOMERS" Jay-Z

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
You got your opinion, which is fine, but here is my take on things...

Just because the DJ isn't always put up in the very front of the show, doesn't mean hip hop is dead. Saying that couple of dudes around the way are saying that beat boxing and break dancing is played out, doesn't mean that their aren't B Boy contests holding it down in other states (I heard bout 1 going down in Portland, holla @ 5th Sequence). An just because some cats completely suck at graffiti and puttin out rhymes that are barely understandable, doesn't mean this art form is over and that everyone should throw in the towel and find something else to do.

Hip hop is alive no doubt in my mind, even though this art is dumbing down. I just don't pay attention to mainstream artists that I don't like and the whole hyphy trend (just not my thing, no disrespect to those who like that stuff). As long their are people out there keeping this alive, then its not dead. Fads come and go, but you can't kill off a whole culture based on the fact that there is some wack crap out there. Look at J Live, Common, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Little Brother, Rhymefest, Rakim, Dialated Peoples, The Roots, Jurassic 5, and the thousands of talented underground artists that are contributing to Hip Hop. You are going to tell them that they should just stop because not as many peeps are taggin the subways, or there aren't as many breakers as there were in the late 80s, or DJs aren't as popular (not to mention Babu, Cut Chemist, Premier, Mix Master Mike, Q Bert, etc. etc.), or the next Lil ____ is on MTV awards and bangin on the local radio station every other song, or beatboxing isn't at its prime.

Believe me, I hate the current state as much as a lot of others, but it can't fully end hip hop.

Well maybe I should stop saying its dead because deep down inside I know it still has a pulse ( I'm just very disappointed in the state of hip hop and how certain engines have suppressed the way good music circulates )...but it seems that it has evolved into a "zombie like" state which is half-dead. Just think if we did'nt have the internet coupled with the current state of hip hop...would it thrive and live then?

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
yo, aint nothin wrong w/ expanding your horizons...yeah Nas did a crunk joint...and that oochie wally shit. But in comparison...in the last 15 years....aint too many dudes in the game that made more real hip hop than him. So to point him out in this thread is crazy. Especially since all he said was Hip Hop is dead....he aint say Crunk killed it. It's just rappers in the south took it personally...like they felt guilty or something. Started rockin they "Hip Hop aint Dead, it just lives in the South" t-shirts. Which was real funny to me.
Anyway, I agree w/ Ash....I think that trend is startin to turn around.......slowly.
But it's up to us to continue that movement. I mean....we are all tryin to accomplish something here. Me personally....I'd rather be remembered as a real hip hop emcee and be able to live off the shit comfortably, than to be stupid rich and be remembered as a ring tone rapper...aka Soulja Boy, Joc, that dumb mafucka that sings that "then you get some *%$# in the front seat of the hummer".....I don't care how old any of them are....but Ash is right...don't be mad at them....be mad at the consumer....the dj's, and them wack dudes that allow them talentless mafuckas to eat.

"Most importantly thanks to you, the CUSTOMERS" Jay-Z

word, we talked about this numerous times B and thats why I think the all of us get together so well, Ash included. Speakin of expandin horizons, I been tryin to do that lately and me and Ash spoke briefly on it. Don't get me wrong, I am a purist witthis Hip Hop thing. 4 Elements! 4! lol, but in all serious, Buku is right. It is up to us. We need to make that shit come back. Bring originality. I put aside the hardcore battle rhymes and I been gettin into more conceptual joints (especially on the Spanish Harlem collab album) just to break away from the underground status. We need to grow as artists and as a Culture and wit Common's success as of late, it shows there's still hope.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
word, we talked about this numerous times B and thats why I think the all of us get together so well, Ash included. Speakin of expandin horizons, I been tryin to do that lately and me and Ash spoke briefly on it. Don't get me wrong, I am a purist witthis Hip Hop thing. 4 Elements! 4! lol, but in all serious, Buku is right. It is up to us. We need to make that shit come back. Bring originality. I put aside the hardcore battle rhymes and I been gettin into more conceptual joints (especially on the Spanish Harlem collab album) just to break away from the underground status. We need to grow as artists and as a Culture and wit Common's success as of late, it shows there's still hope.

u right us labeling ourselves as underground is hurtin our cause..i used to think that way but now im just a hip hop artist fuck underground fuck commercial we should just make music and label it as hip hop instead of labeling ourselves ..saying were underground is only showing that we dont care whats happens to our art above the surface..we gotta break out and lead by example

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
the atmopshere is seriously getting setup for a new wave. Currently the main people who listen to this "modern" hiphop are 12-15 yr old white girls, where im from. And i work on cell phones so i actually see who's comin in with what.

but yeah it's becoming very obvious to a larger and larger audience that hiphop has mutated into idiocy. It's time that we as artists really stand up with our specific creative positions and bring something new to the table. The public is slowly subconsciously wanting something new, it's just a matter of what and when. One's things for sure though, the hiphop that we know has been remade and copied so many times that it's tired.

Ten years from now what will it be? Will you be there?

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
There's a lot of good music out there. The problem is that the Hip Hop nation has allowed Corporate America to dictate the game.

Songs are automatically crowned hits. You used to have to earn plays.

I remember when Nuthin But A G Thing first came out. It was just played in regular rotation with everyother video. When the people responded to it, it blew the fuck up.

Now, the audience is only exposed to a small fraction of the music that's out there.

After watching MTV and Rap City and listening to the radio (non-college stations) I'm starting to believe that Hip Hop is only being made in Atlanta and Miami. Not to discount those two cities, but damn.

I remember there was a time where I could see a Company Flow video, Snoop Dogg, Wu Tang, Outkast, Gang Starr, Scarface, Jay-Z, Bone, Lost Emperor, Mase, Mobb Deep, Heltah Skeltah and Black Star video back to back to back.

What happened?

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
There's a lot of good music out there. The problem is that the Hip Hop nation has allowed Corporate America to dictate the game.

Songs are automatically crowned hits. You used to have to earn plays.

I remember when Nuthin But A G Thing first came out. It was just played in regular rotation with everyother video. When the people responded to it, it blew the fuck up.

Now, the audience is only exposed to a small fraction of the music that's out there.

After watching MTV and Rap City and listening to the radio (non-college stations) I'm starting to believe that Hip Hop is only being made in Atlanta and Miami. Not to discount those two cities, but damn.

I remember there was a time where I could see a Company Flow video, Snoop Dogg, Wu Tang, Outkast, Gang Starr, Scarface, Jay-Z, Bone, Lost Emperor, Mase, Mobb Deep, Heltah Skeltah and Black Star video back to back to back.

What happened?

well put words!

Simpily looking at the most Beautiful Wing's-of-an-angel's friends has turned me onto so many wonder(beauty)ful artists like Waberi!

it's all about your sight. blessed one-to-allBeautifulWINGS... sonSavedmyLife
no doubt

the most supreme is willingly free