Who here works for Native Instruments?

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I don't think the upgrade restriction counts for edu as well, it's just the thing with the registration transfer. there's edu nfr and then there's demonstration model/partner/press nfr, but don't pin me down on it... as far as the registration thing goes, i think the update procedure is pretty conveniant that way.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
That sucks :(

Sloppy Joe sounds good right about now! LMAO!!!

Sorry Chris, I just had to...LMAO

edit: You should forward that whole "Maschine" thread to NI and tell them that you were solely responsible for around 20% of their sales increase while that thread was running and they should switch the ish just on that fact alone! mofo's....

mono, you should tell them to do it or you're gonna quit, your ill brother needs you!

hehe

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
yeah man that's the whole thing behind NFR..."not for resale", it's not supposed to be sold/transfered.

there are some companies that once you transfer a legit license, it then becomes and NFR licence which can't be transfered again.

As far as NI service center, I love it and it's the smoothest activation setup I've dealt with, I have tons of stuff activated through them, both NI stuff and "Kontakt Powered" instruments.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yea the NI stuff is better but I will always make the case that any software activation huts legal users not pirates. Pirates don't have to deal with activation at all but if I spend the money I have to deal with all this activation crap. Thats just not a good way to treat your paying customers.

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
Pirates get updates and bug fixs, most support happens in forums like this.

Activation hurts the legal user more than the non paying user.

not sure who or what software you're using, but I like being in contact with company support, not being left to random forums which may or may not help.

I personally don't care about activation it's not that big of a deal to me, does it really hurt the legal user? I fail to see how this is so, I don't feel hurt or limited by product activation in any sense.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Well think about it, if I buy the software I have to activate the software several times over its lifetime. I get a new computer about once a year and if I change the hardware (like ad a wireless nic card for example) then lots of the programs will make me reactivate. In fact as of right now I am having trouble getting live activated because I am on my third computer since I bought it. Its awful temping to just download a crack and be done with it. Pirates NEVER deal with activation issues. Crack it once and they are done. The experience for the pirate is a better one than the legal user and that is to bad.

And honestly how many times have you used the companies support?

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
Well think about it, if I buy the software I have to activate the software several times over its lifetime. I get a new computer about once a year and if I change the hardware (like ad a wireless nic card for example) then lots of the programs will make me reactivate. In fact as of right now I am having trouble getting live activated because I am on my third computer since I bought it. Its awful temping to just download a crack and be done with it. Pirates NEVER deal with activation issues. Crack it once and they are done. The experience for the pirate is a better one than the legal user and that is to bad.

And honestly how many times have you used the companies support?

well, I guess I just have a different outlook. I work in IT for a living, I'm used to dealing with licensing, activations, etc...so it's not a big deal to me really.

even windows has to deal with hardware changes and activation, but again, I just don't think it's that bad. Now if you have problems where you actually can't activate, then I see your issue, I've rarely had problems with something not activating, usually do to an old serial or something, however, I'm able to contact the company and get it squared away :)

I talk to companies and their support all the time, companies are more open with their communications if they know you are a paying customer, not just with fixes/bugs but general product usage and even new features and testing.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
I worked in IT for years and delt with activation daily. What a waste of time. Wouldn't it be better for you to spend your time fixing things then dealing with activation? Pirates dont activate Windows BTW, its one less step for them. Do you see the problem? The LEGAL customer has extra steps to go through and has worse experience then the pirate.

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
I worked in IT for years and delt with activation daily. What a waste of time. Wouldn't it be better for you to spend your time fixing things then dealing with activation? Pirates dont activate Windows BTW, its one less step for them. Do you see the problem? The LEGAL customer has extra steps to go through and has worse experience then the pirate.

bro I have NEVER spent all day dealing with activations lol...it sounds like you've had some bad experiences man. I install a software, I put in the license code, it talks back to the server, it activates, and I'm good.

Like I said, it's not an issue at all for me, it doesn't take me any extra time or effort, it's just part of the install, I've never been down and not able to use any software because of an activation issue, rather it's music or for work....it's just not that big of a deal.

I have friends that are totally against activation too, so I know it's not just you, I just fail to understand it, unless you've had a bad experience in the past regarding activation.

Would I like to be able to just install and not copy/paste or type a long serial number in? HECK TO THE YEAH lol. I'd rather not go back to the days where you had no serials but you just had to leave the disc in the drive lol.

I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome some new system in regards to valid users and how we install/license our software. But I have yet to find one person that has proven to me in any way that activation "hurts legal users" lol. I understand the preference, just not the generalization.

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
not for resale. thats an awefully legally bound piece of... shhhh! policy.
i suppose the source you got it from had a policy of "NO BACKSIES!" to match?

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
So the fact that the software works better and easier for pirates than legal users?

And have you ever changed a nic card and have the activation dump?

You are really telling me as an IT professional that you have NEVER called Microsoft activation line to get a PC activated? Really?

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
So the fact that the software works better and easier for pirates than legal users?

And have you ever changed a nic card and have the activation dump?

You are really telling me as an IT professional that you have NEVER called Microsoft activation line to get a PC activated? Really?

Dude, give some type of example for your generalizations like "software works easier and better for pirates than legal users" you keep saying it but you're not giving any examples lol...I think you just like saying it :) It's okay man, we'll never agree on this issue because I don't find it to be a burden at all.

Having to reactivate when changing out a nic...seriously? When's the last time you've had to do that, stuff like that hasn't happened since like windows 98 or 2000 maybe ;)

The only time I've ever had to call MS to help get me activated is when I've taken an image of a pc from a different manufacturer, which which came with an OEM version of windows, and deployed it to a new manufacturer PC. This is to be expected because the OEM license is vendor specific, I knew that going in.

Other than that, I have no need, maybe you've never heard of volume licensing or site licensing? Even in all my years of using PCs as a home user I've NEVER once had to call MS to activate a pc...no matter if I was changing motherboards or changing the entire computer.

So like I said, maybe you just had some bad experiences or something man, it takes two seconds to click the activate button lol... I just don't get it.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"happened since like windows 98 or 2000 maybe"

Umm those did not require activation. Activation started with XP. Changing a NIC would flip out XP Home SP1 EVERY TIME! The company I worked for fixed over 100 machines a week. I had to call at least twice a week and so did every tech. So thats 15 guys calling MS twice a week.

" "software works easier and better for pirates than legal users" you keep saying it but you're not giving any examples lol"

THAT IS AN EXAMPLE, ACTIVATION IS AN EXTRA STEP THAT PIRATES DON'T DEAL WITH!
They never have to call, they never click activate. Nothing, ever period.

"Other than that, I have no need, maybe you've never heard of volume licensing or site licensing?"

No offense, but are you fucking serious. I dealt with volume licensing all the time. But i think it is clear the problem is you have only dealt with corporate IT and not much on the end user side so it makes sense that you have not run in to it. But its all good. We can disagree but you have not seen it rear its ugly head. One day you will, and you do you will then agree my friend :)

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
In fact just after I got done writing this response my laptop battery died and when it came back up it said my Windows 7 was not legit and that I am a victim of software theft or whatever. I have an action pack subscription so this is an ACTION PACK version of Windows 7 pro. Now my laptop is flipping out. Because it shuts of areo and all the video card stuff, slows the cpu down etc. This is why pro musicians choose mac EVERY time because they don't put up with this bullshit. Pirates don't deal with this, see the LEGAL user is hurt in this situation and my experience with the product is horrible. Where the pirates experience is better. This is simply no way to treat a paying customer. If Propellerheads and Adobe ran on Linux I would be there in a heartbeat. Man its back to all mac when I can afford it.

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
No offense, but are you fucking serious. I dealt with volume licensing all the time. But i think it is clear the problem is you have only dealt with corporate IT and not much on the end user side so it makes sense that you have not run in to it. But its all good. We can disagree but you have not seen it rear its ugly head. One day you will, and you do you will then agree my friend :)

bro, I deal with corporate AND end user, servers and desktops...like I said, you've had some bad experiences, it makes sense why you're so hostile to it. But that's not the "general experience" like you make it seem. I've never had these experiences, no matter if it's corporate or "end user" , small office, or volume deployments....

the activation process is no different for corporate users or home users, so even if all I had dealt with was corporate, that would make no difference lol.....

xp sp1 may as well have been windows 2000 lol...(the 98/2000 comment was sarcasm lol)

Like we've both said, we'll never agree on this lol...it really isn't that big of a deal, I just have to speak up when I hear folks say it's better to pirate something :) that's money that's NOT going into someone's pocket, there is no justification for that, period.