Who here is using NI Maschine?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I stopped using it around 2016 (long story) but I'm just curious who's still using it because I just checked and the latest version is only 2.17.

Version 2.0 came out in 2013!!!!

I remember not long after there was speculation of something new coming out (it ended up being MK3) and people were thinking version 3.0 with a full-fledged DAW but instead, 10 years later it doesn't look like much has improved.

Does anyone know if Native Instruments was bought out and has new owners? I noticed their forums were changed over as well.

Battle Points: 69
I’ve been using Maschine for a couple years now. I switched over from Logic. I find it to be a little more fun to make beats with despite its limitations. They don’t seem to be trying very hard to improve the software though. It could use some work in some areas.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I’ve been using Maschine for a couple years now. I switched over from Logic. I find it to be a little more fun to make beats with despite its limitations. They don’t seem to be trying very hard to improve the software though. It could use some work in some areas.
Yeah it's a really good workflow and very fast. The features they added in 2.0 were a nice addition. I just didn't like their mixer view.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
thought ur bama for a sec
Not Funny Lol GIF by WWE

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
I stopped using it around 2016 (long story) but I'm just curious who's still using it because I just checked and the latest version is only 2.17.

I remember not long after there was speculation of something new coming out (it ended up being MK3) and people were thinking version 3.0 with a full-fledged DAW but instead, 10 years later it doesn't look like much has improved.

Does anyone know if Native Instruments was bought out and has new owners? I noticed their forums were changed over as well.
I have been using MK3 for the last couple years but I can only go so far with certain aspects of it. I don't like the beat sequencer so I tend to only make specific sounds that meld together well and then export them to use in my DAW. I think there is some benefit to it but wonder if there is a better controller out there?

Last edited:

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
The latest update 2.15 is just over a year old. So it's still pretty actively being developed and I am kinda sick of mandatory version updates that everyone seems to need to do. I like that NI is slow and steady with this thing I still have my MK3 and I like it, I think it works great, I think the workflow is a bit faster then an MPC but honestly I am just ditching everything (like almost all my hardware) and going back to Reason pretty much 100%. Mimic, Kong and their new Objekt synth are all just fantastic tools once you get to know them. You have outboard feel with DAW benefits in that situation. I picked up the Nektar Aruba because it integrates with Reason just perfectly. As far is your question "Did NI get bought out?" Yes, yes they did, by Francisco partners. A private equity firm. So we will see if that helps or hurts NI. And IDK why people want Maschine to be a DAW in the first place. There are plenty of great DAWs with new ones like Luna cropping up all the time. I like that NI is making sure Maschine is focused on doing what it does best and not trying to be everything to everyone. Man I got a lot of shade back in the day here for saying that Maschine is not a DAW. People got pissed at me. So weird....like who cares that it's a sequencer/sampler and thats it? Why not use ANYTHING else that does a better job at being a full workstation if you need those features. Reaper is insanely powerful and is $60 for one example.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm not saying that there needs to be any mandatory updates, but as I mentioned previously, 3.0 was discussed 10 years ago because it seemed they were headed that way but then slowed things down and focused on new hardware.

Maschine is fine as is, it's just since the controller and software are such a great combo, it would be great if it was more like a DAW because it was a pain having to export everything into my DAW or trying to bring it into the DAW.

It's great at what it does but it would just be nice to have some decent updates to make it a little more up-to-date, even if it's just cosmetic.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I noticed NI has a new logo too. I guess it's a complete rebranding so who knows what will happen with Maschine.

What a boring logo!

102188-7660b8f730dd2bc1bb33b900527b6a74.jpg

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5

I like to start my beats in my MK2 until I have a rough concept and later export the stems and continue in Studio One.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
I've been using Maschine since December 2011 (MK1).

I made a ton of great beats on it and became quite the whiz using it entirely hands on. Then the mandatory updates...

...Since 2.0 the MK1 was essentially "dead." No more updates and no access to 2.0 with the MK1 hardware. I was pretty upset with this, but I had gotten quite a few years out of it, and was content with the capabilities at that point. I even devised my own methods of mimicking certain things like Sidechain compression.

In 2018 I started using Logic Pro. From here, my use of Maschine became less extensive. Mixing (in 1.XX) was always a pain in the ass. While I like the Pattern/Scene concept of Maschine, I was finding more and more that I needed to have a linear editor. Plus, Logic is just way more feature rich. The bundled FX, capabilities, and VSTs are all really great.

in 2019 I decided to get a new Maschine. This time, I opted for the Mikro MK3. An incredibly demanding corporate job and fact I was Logic more frequently, I couldn't justify the price of the MK3. This leads to my second major gripe with NI. I CANNOT access the Maschine 1.0 library that I previously had! There were a few kits from there that I really liked (Abbey Roads kits). Losing that was a bit upsetting, but the increased functionality sort of made up for it.

Until about 2021 I was absolutely loving the Mikro and even added the M32 Keyboard. As a hobbyist, with less time to make music than before, I think it's actually quite a capable combo. The tight integration of NI products definitely makes for a user friendly experience. The M32 even works well with Logic Pro.

Over the past 2 years I've been building a DAW-less setup. Roland JU-06a, TB-03, MPC 1000 and the Arutria Keystep. Most everything I do know starts Dawless or Logic - and everything is finished in Logic.

Of all the great things Maschine does (including the sound libraries) my main use for it, and most fun, is just how powerful the sampler is. The built in features of the sampler are amazing and being so comfortable with it, it's the best and easiest way for me to get an idea out of my head and the mangle it just the way I want.

Otherwise, Maschine is like chain smoking for me. It's a mindless way to make beats without the ordeal of firing up the dawless set/MPC 1000. Open and go, which I've always liked. But again, very rarely does an entire tune and it's arrangement get fleshed out in there.

members online