when did you start producing?

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I'm just curious, how and when did you start making beats/rhyming.

I started making beats in 97.

I started up making beats with my friend Erik Sundman who had gotten me to listen to hip hop in the first place. I first got really curious at the game when Xzibit dropped his first album. I had listened to hip hop before that, but that was when it shifted into love.

So, how about yous?

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
A YEAR AND A HALF!!! damn :D lol

What have I been doin all these years :D lol

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
middle to late 03

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I have been producing since the early to mid 90's before all of the hoopla about producing, using a drum machine Alesis HR16 and cheap ass yamaha keyboard and tapes for some cats in College, LOL took a biiiiiig break from it after buying some gear, DJ'd a lil took a break and started back into it around 99 or so ...really got back into it seriously in 2000...obviously I am not in this for the money or fads ya'll LOL....let me add this (how did I start?)...I had a crew of cats that rapped from Cali, Detroit and NY going to school in Richmond.....I had my own crib off campus, it was the party spot, but I also had a drumset then and some recording equipment, they would come over and start rhyming, then they were like we need a beat to rap too....thats how my background and approach developed into how I make my beats....

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
For rhyming I've been at this my whole life. My dad used to rhyme when talking to us kids. If we came home and asked where mom was, he'd go something like "she's bitchin in the kitchen.' (everyone knew he didn't really mean that). All I did was listen to hip hop so I would run around the house spitting rhymes I'd heard that stuck in my head. I'll never forget the look on my mom's face when I ran around going "Oh Baby I like it raw!".

I played basketball and on ever road trip on the bus I would just kick freestyles rhyming words from things I saw on the street. Its wierd cause I never thought of myself as an emcee.

When I was fourteen my mom died. I was really depressed and I didn't have anyway to express my feelings, so I started writing poetry. Eventually that evolved and I started writing my feelings out to beats.

In high school I kept up the tradition of freestyling on the bus for fun. One our first road trip freshmen year there was another guy on the bus and he was emceeing. I did a really corny freestyle about the cornfields and tractors we were passing and then the other guy spit. He killed me with a verse (about 2 months later I found out he just spit a verse from Dru Down's album). I went home that night and started writing and freestyling and stepped my game up.

I got payback on that dude when at a party he grabbed the mic to start freestyling when everybody booed him off and chanted for me to grab the mic. I ain't a hater so I ended up sharing the stage with him though.

I've been studying Production for about a year. Production came out of neccessity. Everybody I knew making beats was on that extreme gangster vibe and I didn't feel that so I realized I needed to do for self.

I'm still working on my craft ( I don't even post beats up here yet). I'm learning all my equipment first, then I'll start bringing the heat.

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
I've been rapping, DJing and producing since 1986. I got really caught up in the art of beatmaking and rhyming. I started off as a DJ. I loved it! A homeboy taught me the basics of DJing and I took it and ran with it. Soon after, I got into emceeing and drum machines. It became an obsession. I started making beats, edits and mixes with just a dual tape deck. Basically the concept of sampling without and sampler. Then I got one of those Casio keyboards with the 5 sec sampler (real grimey junk) and a 4 track recorder, Roland 909, Alesis SR16 and another Casio keyboard and started crafting my own beats. By the time I finally got my ASR-10 (1997) I already knew how to use it and what I wanted to do musically. Many years of learning, crafting and grinding.

classic said:
Started producing late Dec 03/Jan 04

Ive always been a picky hip hop listner so my best friend told me to put my money where my mouth is and make a beat. I always wondered exaclty how cats did it anyway... Over a year and a half later hear I am

class.......

Since Dec 03/Jan 04?? Dang dude!! You're tracks are pure FIRE to be doing this rap junk for such a short amount of time! You're gifted man! Fo' real. You are going to be untouchable if you keep on doing this. Keep doing your thang. Madd respect 2 U Class!

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
DJ X-sinna said:
Since Dec 03/Jan 04?? Dang dude!! You're tracks are pure FIRE to be doing this rap junk for such a short amount of time! You're gifted man! Fo' real. You are going to be untouchable if you keep on doing this. Keep doing your thang. Madd respect 2 U Class!
andreas said:
A YEAR AND A HALF!!! damn :D lol

What have I been doin all these years :D lol
Damn stop strokin this cats ego...yea i'm hatin...what!?!?!?? :)

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
^^^^^
LMAO

LOL thanks for the props yall
but remember the year and a half producing dosent really tell the full story. Ive been a pianist and saxaphone player since i was 7 years old.

So while ive only been making beats for a short time ive been creating music much longer...

Anyway i still consider my self a newb in this production thing and i have much more to learn...

SOme nice stories here by the way

class...

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Started about a year ago when I used to just text battle, but then I wanted to step it up to audio, but when I was going to record, I couldn't find a beat that would fit the topic I was going to spit about. So I downloaded FL, messed with it for a couple days and then left it there. Then when summer 05(July) came around, I opened it back up because I just had an urge to create a beat and since then I've made 4 beats, 1 waiting for mixing, and 2 in the works.

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Started Dj'ing in '89 with 2 mix-match turntables, mixer and a house stereo, all from the pawn shop. Started making beats in '92 with a Tascam 4 track, Yamaha sampler, and Boss DR-550. Worked with local acts, nothing big. Gave it all up in '96. Started back in '02 with the beats and DJ'ing concerts/shows. Pretty extensive gear list. Started working with larger, diverse clientel. I only studio and show DJ now, but I'm working with a handfull of artists on the beats.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Growing up listening to rap making beats was always something I thought would be tight to do. So basically a couple years ago I went to visit my older brother in college, and one of his roommates had fruityloops and some cheap ass, light a blunt and fuck around type beats on it. I was like hell yeah, this is tight, and I spent hella time on it. A couple months later he burnt me a copy and I think I've been doin it for about two years now, with one like 6 month break in between when I moved in with my Dad. I still haven't really gotten into it the way I plan on eventually getting into it. I'm still just in hobby mode, sit down and make a cool lil beat for fun. I want to learn to play piano and then get some tables and take it to the next level eventually.