Whats wrong with hip hop??

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I think wale said it best when he said, "They say hip hops dead, I believe its just the fans"

I think its people as a whole who have ruined it. We have allowed a space for wack music in the market. Not only have we allowed the space, but we have pushed other good music out the way to make room for wack music. If NO ONE liked or bought into catchy nonwitty lyrical songs like "walk that walk" or "halle berry" etc., then those artists would be forced out the game or forced to switch their style. If we bought and supported dope artists (IMO Lupe fiasco, blu, wale, little brother etc) then HIPHOP would be alive and dope artists would be profitting for being hot. as long as we as a whole feel the need to crank dat then we cant expect anything more to come out except people trying to imitate crank dats

See this is where we get off on that bullshit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with "dance" rap music. The problems is the lack of diversity on the radio. There's no happy medium of everything. Southern party/dance rap music is dominating right now. Why is Ron Browz hot....because his music packs the dance floor. Halle berry and walk that walk have there place. They're not hip hop, there party/dance rap music and fucking clubs would be hella boring with out it! Women go to the club to dance not stand around looking at ningas with hoodies and timbo's on. U can't fucking dance with no female to Daydreamin, Shining Down, Kick, Push, Hip-Hop saved my life etc etc, she ain't shaking her ass to that...NO. I bump his album all the time but it's when I'm at the crib or in the car. His music would have the average club empty...that's just being real wit u! Your favorite hip hop artist needs to spit them lethal lyrics over some "party" style beats and I promise you things would change!

I LISTEN to hip hop and I love hip hop but when I go out to the club I want 90% of what I hear to be dance music. U can say what u want but IT IS WUT IT IS....

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
@ theworld famous dont get me wrong I love that shit too(when it's on point). but on the everyday life tip, it contributes to the decline cause dudes can get up on the mic spit some lackluster BS and these mofos'll go crazy ie. battles. theres nothing wrong with any sub-genre of music. Its quality control and diversity. My point was based off of what I see NOW not then.

Edit: I think everyone needs to say what they actually have a problem with. cause it seems everyone has a particular dislike for a slighly different thing.
Mines is the overall culture and quality

TheDragon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
A lot of what is wrong with hip hop and other forms of music is on the radio and record labels. They created the monster. Before the internet came along, a CD could sell millions off the strength a single. Now, you will be lucky if they can break gold. Plus, with our economy in the state that it is in, of course the industry will be down.

With the radio's over saturation of pop singles and it's lack of diversity, the industry as a whole has suffered. The stations will not change for awhile because the pop hits brings in the listeners, and the listeners determine the advertising rates. Look at KROCK in NYC, they flipped from Rock to "Top 40".

Since the labels have realized the internet is more powerful than they first thought, they have been frantically trying to find the perfect formula to sell. If 50 had not fallen off hard before thisis50.com was created, he would have done better numbers with Curtis.

I'm actually happy for the madness now. The industry needs a huge change. Even though it is chaotic, and as they say, "where there is chaos, there is opportunity".

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
yea I kinda appreciate it also. there are more oportunities than ever to gain position and build something its just organizing and executing.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Before the internet came along, a CD could sell millions off the strength a single. Now, you will be lucky if they can break gold.

The internet is a two headed monster. I remember those days when I bought plenty albums based on a hot single that got crazy play on the radio and in the club! Back in the day you didn't have places like Rhapsody where you could listen to someones entire album or at least 30 second snippet of the tracks before you purchased it. I bought quite a few albums back in the day that were "BOOTY". They only had that hot single or 3 descent songs on it. I felt like I got rob'd for my 17 or 18 bucks. It wasn't all the radio's fault either. Artist thought they were smart when they had 20 freaking songs on there album so they could jack up the price and 85% of it was trash. No more of that thanks to the internet. If I buy somebody's album thru Rhapsody or Itunes I'm fully aware of what I'm getting. If I don't like the entire album I can just buy the tracks I like. That's definitely a win for the consumer!

Now the downside of it is that it made the music industry a singles driven game. Not many albums are cohesive or tell a story anymore. Artist are eating real good off of singles and if you can drop 6 or 7 club bangers you can really bring in the money. For an artist/writer that's not a bad thing though and most of us here are trying to get paid sooner or later.

TheDragon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I do agree with you LDB about the two headed monster comment. It also more due to the consumer being more fickle when it comes to purchasing a song or album. It has always been single driven, and now with new artists they have the single deals. Like I told the people at Jive, it's their damn fault for them losing so much money. They charged 18 dollars an album only for most people to find a good song or two, this is karma for you.

I know from an independent standpoint, for a single, as I was told by the marketing director, from Itunes, they take twenty percent of the money earned for a single. So I wonder how much does the dollar for the ringtone or single go before the artist can get their money.

"where there is chaos, there is opportunity".

Thats a great point, I feel that hip hop is full of opportunity right now.
The hip hop bitch has some holes that need to be filled, its about time we ALL stepped up for a gangbang(the sexual not the violent type).
The only thing we have to realise, is its either about the money or its about the artform, it cant be about both from the outset, if money is made later as a result of the positive hip hop then so be it, but if not at least we have contributed into making hip hiop what WE want it to be.

LDB.. Im really feeling your sig comment right about now.
I have had some of my best feedback and traffic due to my free remixes.
Gotta establish the name before people will pay for your music.
Props.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
lol wut? Who's Ron Browz?

Wow! Click the link at the top of the box...if you've never heard a Ron Browz song you live in a cave!
[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=51175875"]Jumpin' (Out the Window) Video by RON BROWZ - MySpace Video[/ame]

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I listen to music like this:

keywords "listen to" meaning you can't dance to that sooooo...u listen to it. I listen to hip hop everyday but most of it is not club oriented but it's great listening hip hop music..that's the only point I'm trying to make. Hip hop/rap music comes in many different flavors. Just listening to one leg of it is boring...but hey! "do you"

By the way...that song was terrible! Beat "banged" but the lyrics did not ...and the chorus..."oh my God"...it put the T in Terrible.

They don't even play bull like Ron Browz in the hip hop clubs here...

lol....you're a funny dude Magna. If they play music like your example I guarantee you can count the females on one hand.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Dance music you can listen to; what a bizarre concept.

LDB's right though, 'cause evry club in the world is the same as those in Atlanta without a doubt.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
lol wut? Who's Ron Browz?

Nas - Ether

See production credits on Big L's "The Big Picture"

That's the Ron Browz I like...

Now he's doing the pop champagne shit with Jim Jones.....arab muzik with Busta...n so on...just a way to stay relevant in the game...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I listen to music like this:
YouTube - Big Shug--Counter Punch(Feat.Guru)

They don't even play bull like Ron Browz in the hip hop clubs here...

They don't play that? Damn..niggas get NO pussy in those clubs if they play Big Shug in there...

Hate it or love it, Ron Browz gets broads dancing in the clubs....

Big shug has production carrying him...his lyrics are ASS ASS ASS. That hook is ASS ASS ASS. I really don't know why Premier fucks with dude to be honest...Because I could spit hotter shit on a Primo beat and sound tough........because it's on a Primo beat...lol.

They don't play that? Damn..niggas get NO pussy in those clubs if they play Big Shug in there...

Hate it or love it, Ron Browz gets broads dancing in the clubs....

Big shug has production carrying him...his lyrics are ASS ASS ASS. That hook is ASS ASS ASS. I really don't know why Premier fucks with dude to be honest...Because I could spit hotter shit on a Primo beat and sound tough........because it's on a Primo beat...lol.

I remember going to a few Tim Westwood gigs back in the day, and I can honestly say that there were times when you could count the number of females on 10 fingers. But the sound was fucking killer. Raw bassline moving your insides about.
If I wanted to go clubbing for females, Id have gone to a house rave, or to the RnB.
I never went looking for females in a hip hop gig, simply because there was none, and the ones that were there were usually tougher than a lot of the men.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I never went looking for females in a hip hop gig, simply because there was none, and the ones that were there were usually tougher than a lot of the men.

ummm...is a hip hop "gig" and a hip hop club the same over there? I don't expect to get down with females at a hip hop "gig". A gig to me is a concert and there I'm going to see the artist and listen to there music.

I'm not rolling up in a hip hop club or any club with no dames in it. If the ratio of dicks to pussy is greater than 50% I do a U-Turn up out of there QUICK!

ummm...is a hip hop "gig" and a hip hop club the same over there? I don't expect to get down with females at a hip hop "gig". A gig to me is a concert and there I'm going to see the artist and listen to there music.

I'm not rolling up in a hip hop club or any club with no dames in it. If the ratio of dicks to pussy is greater than 50% I do a U-Turn up out of there QUICK!

Thats how times have changed.
I used the term gig, because Westwood used to do different spots that werent typically hip hop, but they were as soon as he turned up. I couldnt think of a better term than gig, to me any live performance is a gig.
Hip hop is now rnb so the whole scenario clubwise has changed completely.
A lot of clubs now do various rooms, with different genres in each room, that way you get a good mix of music and females. It seems to work.
Back in the new jack swing era, rnb clubs was where you found the females.
One of the dopest hip hop clubs I went to was Club Raw, there was some real hot asian girls in there, and they loved the hip hop/rap. The Dj was always sick with it too, I was gutted when they closed that club.
I used to go to a lot of clubs in the 90's, and generally the females were not at the hip hop venues, nowadays there is too much trouble at hip hop only events, Im not sure they do them too often.
To me the whole club scene changed from having fun to trying to look hard a have the biggest crew in the club.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Wow.....that's wild. KInda fucks up the club scene for u guys. In the states you have clubs that are predominantly this or that genre but most play it all. When I DJ I usually start off with RnB dance joints then I'll hit 'em with a west coast set, older shit of course...there is no new descent west coast shhh, then I go up top with some hip hop, not the hardcore shit though just the hits like Biggie, Ruff Ryders etc then I hit 'em with dirty south after midnight for a couple hours (Because I am in the south) after that its a good mixture of dirty south RnB and any up top party joints. We do have clubs with two or three levels where you can hear one type of music all night if you want.

members online