Whats wrong with hip hop??

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Back in the new jack swing era, rnb clubs was where you found the females.
One of the dopest hip hop clubs I went to was Club Raw, there was some real hot asian girls in there, and they loved the hip hop/rap. The Dj was always sick with it too, I was gutted when they closed that club.
I used to go to a lot of clubs in the 90's, and generally the females were not at the hip hop venues, nowadays there is too much trouble at hip hop only events, Im not sure they do them too often.
To me the whole club scene changed from having fun to trying to look hard a have the biggest crew in the club.

Co-signs, back then i could call it a hiphop party where regardless what the dj was spinning people would be dancing. The music then really was hiphop(rap/rnb/swingbeat) in the club and not club-hiphop. If i go to gig its personal, i really dont feel like clubbing atlanta style (no offense) but a gig is like non-phixion and the mosh pit up front, its a hardcore event with not to much females. If i'd go clubbing atlanta style here...i'd be seriously annoyed by all the crap the wack dj is playing, disagreeing all the hypes (ron who?).
To me hiphop isnt about clubbing, its to diverse to aim my produtions just towards club material so i can score a hit..its an ethical choice but doesnt imply that i wont make a "clubbanger"...it just wont include the ingredients that the industry (and the people supporting it) consider it worthy in regards to these current standards (dry mixed, auto-tuned, uber simple compo).

LBD, i think its european, ive done parties just like that, multiple rooms/area's and they go really well (same goes for european festivals -> huge blend of genres). I think its cool that a dj can still grab back to good music, regardless of what era it came from...which goes for any genre a dj mixes. Im was more of dnb dj but the same fact applies, spin what moves a crowd, that doesnt mean the latest hits...imo, its what defines a dj and seperates it from pitch control operator (press play at the right time...)

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Your favorite hip hop artist needs to spit them lethal lyrics over some "party" style beats and I promise you things would change!

I LISTEN to hip hop and I love hip hop but when I go out to the club I want 90% of what I hear to be dance music. U can say what u want but IT IS WUT IT IS....

I'm with L on this one....

Shit..Mo Money Mo Problems was a party ass beat...with hard lyrics
All about the Benjamins...
Biggie was great for that which makes him one of the greatest to do it...

100%, Still not a player...Those tracks got girls on the floor.....

Shit even Big Pimpin got chicks on the floor...

Just a few with dope lyrics on party-style beats you could dance to....
those songs don't exist because the people enjoy dumb ass lyrics these days...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
songs don't exist because the people enjoy dumb ass lyrics these days...

I agree to a certain extent with you as far as the "dumb ass lyrics" part. I think I'd substitute the "dumb" for "simple". I think you can make the verse as complicated as humanly possible but the hook has to be so simple a 2 year old could pick it up after listening a few times. That's not necessarily a bad thing though! Simple and catchy sticks....complicated doesn't most of the time. All the songs you mentioned had some deadly flo on the verse but the hook was Forest Gump simple.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Of course...Hooks have to be simple, that's the most easily remembered part of the songs...but the verses were crack..these days there's no transition other than the beat changing or doubling vocals...You couldn't tell otherwise....

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Of course...Hooks have to be simple, that's the most easily remembered part of the songs...but the verses were crack..these days there's no transition other than the beat changing or doubling vocals...You couldn't tell otherwise....

Agreed.........................................

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I dont care who says what, form now on Im gonna be part of the problem with hiphop...
I have dedicated myself to an alter ego that makes nothing but ass muzik, and dumb ass shit.
Of course Ill still be mild mannered Relic during the day and dedicate myself to edutainment and StepChild and lyricism, but in the wee hours of the morn DJ Dirty Nutz is taking over!!!!
Just watch! Muhahahahahaha!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
There's a place for fun rap/hip hop music. Some of your joints (Relic) are that. I guess you call them stupid, lame, unhip hop etc etc but I don't. You don't have to be pushed to one side or the other. You can make fun of dumb'd down music with a dumb'd down song and get the same effect as if you made a preaching bout the ills of hip hop type track. Real thinkers will get the meaning! Some of yall take this waaaaaaaay too serious and in doing so you lose creativity. REAL life is serious enough....there's nothing wrong with switching it up on the music tip. It's actually refreshing!

I'm with L on this one....

Shit..Mo Money Mo Problems was a party ass beat...with hard lyrics
All about the Benjamins...
Biggie was great for that which makes him one of the greatest to do it...

100%, Still not a player...Those tracks got girls on the floor.....

Shit even Big Pimpin got chicks on the floor...

Just a few with dope lyrics on party-style beats you could dance to....
those songs don't exist because the people enjoy dumb ass lyrics these days...

To be honest, those Biggie tracks and the whole Junior Mafia Clique with Diddy on the production wasnt hip hop to me, it was rnb. I hated the way diddy would take an 80's instrumental and just get people to rap/sing on it and call it his production, Ive never liked diddy, but certainly liked a few of Biggies harder tracks like "Kick In The Door"
Puff daddy with the help of Biggie started the demise of hip hop in my honest opinion, they really got the bling culture going in the mainstream.
I know the era very very well, that was my prime clubbing era. Ill agree that they got the girls dancing, but in the rnb clubs. That semi crossover hip hop had its place, but it just wasnt to my taste too much.
I think diddy paved the way a little for the mainstream hip hop/rnb combination that has become hip pop.
Im sure some of you will disagree, but thats just what my experience has shown me, Im sure its just a matter of opinion, but thats what I think regarding Biggie and Diddy.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Nah, I strongly disagree with that. I actually think Biggie spitting over old RnB "hit" instrumentals was life support to hip hop for a minute. They actually caught that bitch before she fell and broke her hip so to speak! GANGSTA HIP HOP is what started bleeding Authentic hip hop to a slow death.

It's funny, the east coast had mad hate for the west coast but then they took them same GANGSTA lyrics and started spitting them over hip hop beats. Shit was crazy....similar to 50 chumping off Ja and then when Ja dies off 50 basically mimics the mans style with the rap/singing thing and gets stupid rich.

That's how I saw it!

I always saw beefs in hip hop as a sneaky method to make money, a tried and tested formula to make money for both artists involved. Beefs have come and gone but the only time anyone got killed over it was Biggie and Tupac, and there are big question marks over both of their deaths.
The death of both artists was hip hops biggest turning point, IMO.
I personally feel the whole east vs west was a money making venture.
Besides rap battles go way way back, undermining your opponent and being the flyest emcee was what it was all about. Freestyle battles, dj battles, breakdancer burns, the sickest graffiti, hell hip hop is built on conflict.
The death of biggie and tupac affected the way artists would battle since.
Making the cornerstone of hip hop start to crumble a little.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I just don't see it that way. You can't compare old school brag-a-doshis sparing with the coastal beef. You could actually blame the east coast for killing hip hop diversity if you ask me. There was a brief period when if you wanted to hear that Gangsta shit you looked to the west, when you wanted to hear the essence of hip hop you looked to the north east, when you wanted to hear that booty shake party shit you ran down south. Some where in there the east coast turned gangsta and that was the beginning of the end I think.

I just don't see it that way. You can't compare old school brag-a-doshis sparing with the coastal beef. You could actually blame the east coast for killing hip hop diversity if you ask me. There was a brief period when if you wanted to hear that Gangsta shit you looked to the west, when you wanted to hear the essence of hip hop you looked to the north east, when you wanted to hear that booty shake party shit you ran down south. Some where in there the east coast turned gangsta and that was the beginning of the end I think.

Yeah i agree with you there.
All I can say is fiddy.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Yeah i agree with you there.
All I can say is fiddy.

Mix some older Biggie in there, sprinkle it with some earlier Jay Z along with some M.O.P and Mobb deep on the side! Most before 50. He just took that shit to the next level and "kilt it".

Now he wants to do an "authentic hip hop album" GET DA FUCK OUTTA HERE" already. It would not be genuine coming from him. It would be similar to Satan coming to save your soul........

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Actually when I think about it.
Fat Joe the Gangster. He was all out gangster.
And just like fiddy, he took the big money and changed his whole sound.
The south didnt just do booty shake either, Geto Boys were about as gangster as gangster has ever got, lol.

yea....but you gotta admit that there's a difference between Texas south and the south that I live in. Though technically they are both SOUTH. There's a BIG difference! Well at least there used to be...today....not so much. Texas back in the day always leaned toward the west style of rap to me.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
yea....but you gotta admit that there's a difference between Texas south and the south that I live in. Though technically they are both SOUTH. There's a BIG difference! Well at least there used to be...today....not so much. Texas back in the day always leaned toward the west style of rap to me.

There is a HUGE difference between Texas and the South East aka ATL

And yes Flrida is booty Shkin in mind always, but they have changed up alot too.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Let's just put it bluntly! Every sector of the country that bit the forbidden "GANGSTA APPLE" eventually died. The west coast is a walking corpse, the east coast still smells of rotten flesh, the south east is on life support (we still have a mixture so it never went "all gangsta"), most of Texas fell off with that gangsta shit. Who's left in N.O. after Master P bit into the forbidden fruit and now Miami Florida is being consumed by it ala Rick Ross. I see booty shake making a strong come back down there as soon as Fat Ass gets locked up for a million years after he's eventually linked to the guy that was killed Friday.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I liked the diversity...

But hip-hop was always about bragging about shit...how much money I got..how many bitches I boned.....it just got to the point where EVERYONE was rapping about it..like how it is now....it's become saturated with shit that makes money NOW....Now if the next thing that comes out is dudes spitting old short stories....and it starts selling, I'm sure a lot of people are going to include that in their reportoire

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
I liked the diversity...

But hip-hop was always about bragging about shit...how much money I got..how many bitches I boned.....it just got to the point where EVERYONE was rapping about it..like how it is now....it's become saturated with shit that makes money NOW....

Until PE came along then it started getting really good imo, it wasnt just braggin it was actually saying something.