What the hell is real hip-hop!!!!!

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Haze47 said:
Russel Crowe? i think not, i wouldnt place him in the top echelons of acting....but i see what you are saying....

that's were the subjectiveness comes in. I'm not saying Russel Crowe is the best actor ever but he is a REAL actor as he studies and respects the artform, has been through acting school, been acting professionally for well over 10 years, has considerable skills.

dude has been nominated for three Oscar Awards too by the way (won one)

peace

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
ya fair play, but it hurts me for you to put him in the same bracket as pacino or de niro....

its funny actually because this leads onto the same sought of discussion....

for me REAL actors are the indie actors such as the types the coens use, John Turturro, John
Goodman, Tony Shaloaub, Billy Bob Thornton, Tm Blake Nelson, BRUCE CAMPBELL, Dan Hedaya, Francis McDormond, Steve Bushemi etc etc the lost goes on....these are the real actors, the people who take the risks on projects, ones with oddball stories, the ones where the acotrs themselves forgo their fees just so that the film gets made...fair play de niro, pachino, cruise, pitt make good films, but (with the exception of brad pitt) they dont take risks on indie projects anymore, i mean de niro would never be in a film that cost like 1mill to make would he....

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^^

I respect that. In my opinion, all the actors you mentioned are REAL actors, some are just more underground than others. i.e. B.I.G. = De Niro, Gift Of Gab = John Turturro

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
hahaha, loving it mate, wicked analogy....

but again in hip hop many people would consider the underground as the place real hip hop os born...

stroke

ill o.g.
N.U.G. said:
in some peoples eyes "REAL hip-hop" is that underground New York hip-hop. In other words something produced by Dj Premier, Pete Rock, Large Pro, Marley Marl etc. or at least with that type of sound to it i.e. KRS One, Gangstar, M.O.P. etc.

Bow Wow and Nelly are not real hip-hop in my opinion. you have to have at least a decent knowledge and respect of all the elements of hip-hop to qualify. Nelly and them are hip-pop or some shit in my opinion

No disrespect but that's bull shit. Bow wow is hip hop. Hell he's been apart of hip-hop sence nwa. That a real long time. Fuck he was raised in hip-hop. He ust chooses the money market instead of the"BROKE BUT I GOT RESPECT" market. Same wit nelly. Hell his first song was hard as shit, but it was on a hot beat.

down down baby low creap in a rang rover
zoom zoom baby cocked ready to let it go.

this nigga had lil girls talking about drive buys.

holla t me

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
stroke said:

And this is a good thing? I apologise for detracting from the main point of the topic here, but I don't see how that makes him any more 'real'. There is no such thing as 'real' hip hop. 'Real' is something different to every single individual, which ultimately depends on their whole life and personality really [age, sex, upbringing, their group of friends, lifestyle...]

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
Nelly aint hip hop, he is hip pop at best he is RnB, Lil Bow Wow, dont get me started there....

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Nelly ain't hip-hop. Bow wow sure as hell ain't hip-hop. Dude was like 10 when he made his first record.

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
In my opinion Real Hip Hop has changed. At one time Real Hip Hop meant you were from NY and pourin out about where you lived. Then it was gangsta and now if you ain't Bow Wow or a thug you ain't accepted. Personally I think Real Hip Hop has moved away from being from NY and the street's but about black culture in general which happens to have been embraced by white America. Hip Hop is a man (or woman) taking a pen in their hand and pouring out what they have to say. hip Hop is giving the listener or viewer an inside look at your mind and what makes you tick. Real Hip Hop is simply expressing yourself to everyone who will listen.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
stroke said:
No disrespect but that's bull shit. Bow wow is hip hop. Hell he's been apart of hip-hop sence nwa. That a real long time. Fuck he was raised in hip-hop. He ust chooses the money market instead of the"BROKE BUT I GOT RESPECT" market. Same wit nelly. Hell his first song was hard as shit, but it was on a hot beat.

holla t me

lol @ this! :D

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
stroke said:

holla t me

I thought it was

"down down baby yo street in a range rover
street sweeper baby cocked ready to let it go"

?

And really though just because you bring violence into your songs does not make you anymore "real"

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
man it aint hip hop unless its that east coast boom bap sampled from a record playing on a technics 1200 into an sp1200.

if it aint that, it aint hip hop yo, fo real.

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
N.U.G. said:
^^^

also, Bow Wow still doesn't even write his rhymes... that's not so real to me

Well yah I think if you ain't writin your own it shouldn't be considered real. Which is why I said personally real hip hop is anybody with the talent stepping up and entertaining or captivating the listener/viewer as they take them on a trip into what they think about and how their mind runs.

And to Cold Truth I don't think you can really say anymore "man it aint hip hop unless its that east coast boom bap sampled from a record playing on a technics 1200 into an sp1200. " Because technology and Hip Hop and music in general has to, ahd to, and did evolve. I think that's what some real nice production side of hip hop is ya know, but I don't think you can say really "if it ain't this it ain't hip hop" cuz even when Hip HOp was young people had to know it would evolve. I mean what we hearing now 20 or 30 years from now people will be sayin "that's that old hip hop sound we lookin for" and then the stuff old now will just be classic. So I think Hip Hop can't really be confined to that east coast boom bap just because it's human nature to evolve.

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
music is music and life is life... we all live it with our own different perspective...

hip hop comes from inside....

if u feel like u are hip hop then live it to the fullest...

BE HIP HOP... LIVE HIP HOP...

IF u hate on someone for them thinkin they are hip hop.. youre the wrong part...

enough said

thanks

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
man it aint hip hop unless its that east coast boom bap sampled from a record playing on a technics 1200 into an sp1200.

word! :D

close thread

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:

hahaha.....zing

but it is a technic not a technicS, LOL

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Ok imop, Real HIp Hop is the product of making music for the sake of making music, Music that will exist for thew mere fact that it is music, not because its a fad or because the person making it has money, its heart felt music no matter what the msg is, Just cause u spitting conscious lyric that dont mean u real hip hop, just cuz u broke dont nessisarily mean u real hip hop, as with jus cuz u gangsta rich or a pimp or even sell records dont mean u real, real is RRR real recognize real.

PPl sometimes get it twisted thinking that all underground music is "REAL" bullshyt!!!! alot of them ppl are ppl how just aint blow yet or some one who just dont sell for what eva reason, real hip hop isnt every complex flowing rapper every canibus, as it dam sure aint every nelly either

Real Hip Hop is music made cuz that artist really wanted to make the music with nothing but that music in his mind. Thats real.

All the other shit is still hip hop tho but as said earlier we need to class the different forms of hip hop cuz i agree that for exp. Bow wow is hip hop but he is in the class of Hip POP, a rapper but not an MC.
A pawn not an artist, but regardless still in some strange way hip hop, jus like crunk, like screw music, like gangsta, like consious, dirrty south, and boom bap are. Plus if it wasnt for the crap some peoplr would neva appriciate the good shyt anyway LOL

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Oh no, it's another subjective argument thread where there is no right and wrong. Brethren, agree to disagree, music, like opinions, is subjective. Whether it's real or not is in the eye of the beholder. Trinidad, see what you did man. LOL.

members online