What the hell is real hip-hop!!!!!

stroke

ill o.g.
I sleep eat and shit music. But i cant understand for the life of me why people keep screaming thus shit aint real hip-hip. Dose any body really understand what hip-hop is ir do we all have some faded as idea of what we think it should be.

First off hey im newbie stroke hope everybodies doing good. Made love and tears to my katrina'a.

Aight look i feel that all rap even that washed up cermicail shit is hip-hop. Real hip-hop is all hip-hop
over time hip-hop turned into a fad. No disrespect but when hip-hop started it was a urban ny thing for the blacks and shit now it's manly eatin, watched, bought, and demostated by white america. So it had no choice but to change. Nelly is hip-hop. Even tho his ability to make some sick shit is like at zero. Dipset is hip-hop, Lil bow wow is hip-hop.
The funny shit is, most rapper cant understand for the life of them why people are into to the bull shit part of hip-hop but hip-hop has always had a bull shit part. Gangsta rap in the 90's bull shit. It's aim wite america. The diddy mase era it's aim white america. Jay-z era that the world is trap in it's aim his tru fans. lol. Jay never sales more than 3 million but if he putts one out ever 6mounth thats 6 million a year. Nelly era wites and girls. Funny thing is that the south has brought rap back to the streets and to white america. Inow im ramblin and shit. let me know wat yall think.

BY THE WAY I AINT A NO ENGISH TEACHER SORRY

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
If you can emcee,,,thats Hip Hop

If you can Mix and Cut on the 1's and 2's,,,that's Hip Hop

If you can Break,,,that's Hip Hop

If you can rep on a Wall,,,that's Hip Hop

There's the culture and the music. Hip Hop music,,,,

If ya spittin' for the love,,,That's Hip Hop Music

Narratin ya Hood in ya spits,,,that's Hip Hop Music

If you makin beats/producin' for the love and will worry about money IF it ever comes,,,That's Hip Hop Music

If ya have albums under ya belt, and you are sellin them on your own or wit a team,,,,that's Hip Hop Music

See, Hip Hop music is Underground AND it's Mainstream. To answer what is REAL HIP HOP is basically the 4 Elements. 4 only and nuttin more, nuttin less. (I say makin beats is up there wit DJayin, feel me) I don't give a fuck what anyone says, it started as those key 4 ingrediants and will stay. I mean, how you gonna add more then 10 Commandments? Dig?

stroke

ill o.g.
StressWon said:

If you makin beats/producin' for the love and will worry about money IF it ever comes,,,That's Hip Hop Music

If ya have albums under ya belt, and you are sellin them on your own or wit a team,,,,that's Hip Hop Music

See, Hip Hop music is Underground AND it's Mainstream. To answer what is REAL HIP HOP is basically the 4 Elements. 4 only and nuttin more, nuttin less. (I say makin beats is up there wit DJayin, feel me) I don't give a fuck what anyone says, it started as those key 4 ingrediants and will stay. I mean, how you gonna add more then 10 Commandments? Dig?

I feel ya. That's how i feel.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Real hip hop is what you personally think is real. Nobody can tell you what real hip hop is, and if they think they can, they're dickheads.

Like you dont get it much on this forum, but iv visited others where narrow minded fools are just like - Fuck you for listenin to Jay-Z that aint real hip hop its mainstream bullshit, your not a true hip hop head bla bla bla bla...

Personally i pretty much agree with StressWon's points ^^

sAfE.

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
From what I hear people like "Kanye" are "Real Hip Hop" . . . I hear people saying Kanye is brinign "Good Music" back which is the "Real Hip Hop" . . . Which in my opinion is some complete and utter bull . . . Music with a message (what ? Kanyes complaning and moaning about problems on every track ? lol). Positive songs aren't bad but their not "Real Hip Hop" in that sense.

In my opinion "Real Hip Hop" with Artists is those hard hitting MC's with punchlines, metaphors, crazy rhyme schemes, make you think about their lyrics and what they said. With beats it's those tracks that have that classic feel that never dies down. You can put the track on years later and still think the beat is tight.

"Real Hip Hop" is the streets . . . Music that is not influenced by Record Labels and Sales

Just my opinion . . .

Music changes with times aswell, so it is a matter of preference. What was real at one time may not be considered real now.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Man look I am the most die hard hip hop lover and I have my definitions but I cant use that to define the music that comes after my definition, hip hop is what you think it is dawg, just do you it dont matter....there are no definitions to hip hop music...its fluid....go check 1980----go check 1990---check 2000-----hip hip changes with the times....your mothers hip hop probably is not your hip hop....dig it

stroke

ill o.g.
H&R said:
From what I hear people like "Kanye" are "Real Hip Hop" . . . I hear people saying Kanye is brinign "Good Music" back which is the "Real Hip Hop" . . . Which in my opinion is some complete and utter bull . . . Music with a message (what ? Kanyes complaning and moaning about problems on every track ? lol). Positive songs aren't bad but their not "Real Hip Hop" in that sense.

In my opinion "Real Hip Hop" with Artists is those hard hitting MC's with punchlines, metaphors, crazy rhyme schemes, make you think about their lyrics and what they said. With beats it's those tracks that have that classic feel that never dies down. You can put the track on years later and still think the beat is tight.

"Real Hip Hop" is the streets . . . Music that is not influenced by Record Labels and Sales

Just my opinion . . .

THAT WAT I MEAN. Hip-hop aint about all that shit. Dont get me wrong that defines a mc skills but not his ift to hip-hop. That's why there are some many different rap styles. Batlle, Main stream, underground, freestyle, un rehearst 16 bar(radio freestyle), the story you feel me

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
StressWon said:

haha stress is like a hiphop jeff foxworthy

If it makes bob your head 7out of 10 times it's probably hiphop

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
to me real Hip Hop is when you make your own thing. You don't have to be a leader and the rest followers. As long as it's from the heart it's real.

Beeing like: "I need to be more like that rapper, this producer. I'm gonna sound more like Premo.... bla bla bla" then you'r a follower and are not making music true to yourself, trying to mold yourself into someoneelses form. That is not real Hip Hop. Have a plan, a unique sound and play it from the heart.. Then It's real

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
no doubt Andreas. hiphop is now it's own culture that spans all races. It's definetly one source of my strength, and my friend. I talk to hiphop when I rap and it talks to me everytime i hear an ill jam or even see graphiti. I never expected this to be as deep as it is or that it would end up changing my life.
edit
it's so close to me that it's wierd hearing people call it "hiphop" and talk about it in such an open way all over the place. an i'm sooo sincere'

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I wish I could say that. I'm not in it to be a geuine Hip Hopper. I'm not trying to make hip hop. I'm just making music that I like.

Sounds mad nice to see you write like that, you have a personal relationship with hip hop. I have a relationship like that but to music and melodies in general. I can as easely find it in pop as in hip hop. It's an element of melancholy and heartache I find grabbing me.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
If you know what hip-hop IS, and where it came from, and how it's evolved through the years. Then you can make up your own mind on what's real hip-hop or not.

hpnotiq

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
readint this blazed is intense....ima throw my 2 cents in.

im on the same plain as BigD, its just you and how you wanna do it, all these labels etc all bullshit who sells records is baised on how they market themsevles and if you like a beat or a ryhme and your into it at the moment then to me thats hiphop, jus feelin beats and rhymes. regardless of what type of lable the mc or producer is seen as.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
in some peoples eyes "REAL hip-hop" is that underground New York hip-hop. In other words something produced by Dj Premier, Pete Rock, Large Pro, Marley Marl etc. or at least with that type of sound to it i.e. KRS One, Gangstar, M.O.P. etc.

Bow Wow and Nelly are not real hip-hop in my opinion. you have to have at least a decent knowledge and respect of all the elements of hip-hop to qualify. Nelly and them are hip-pop or some shit in my opinion

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
N.U.G. I totally agree(hip pop LOL) but there are so many that make music nowadays that if it has a rapper it is instantly hip hop...the generation that say is 13-18 like my younger sister now their impression of hip hop includes everything because of the way they grow up listening and absorbing the media has merged it....all lumped into the big but not so happy family.....so to be politically correct in a sense.....its hip hop music....you have to start having sub Genres......because in the beginning there was only one genre hip hop....it was not East Coast, West or South....just hip hop but because a listener has his own preference.....it has to be subdivided to know what you might be getting ready to listen to because the styles of the music bpm etc and the MC delivery, style and topics are specific to their own region.......its crazy now because my man is from the BX and he is true to form with east coast production, he even has a joint on DMX upcoming album...but...he mainly places most of his tracks with bad boy South and his beats for those projects sound just like you would expect SoUTh but that is feeding him and getting checks now, pretty soon its going to be like how in Europe or wherever they make hip hop sound like any of the classic hip hop from the 90's, they learned how to make the sound and if you hear beats you dont know where or who made it because they studied the art and repeated it.....add the MC, the content thats where the problems start and people start making their mind up about whether they can relate to anything that are in the lyrics that are specific to their own way of life or the regional hip hop topics, slang etc...if none of them apply to what I know or relate to and there is no message I cant really like it as a total piece of work, no matter how banging the beats might be that the MC is on......that's how I do.....

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
hip pop. haha, fucking Binary Star say that all the time, <-----FUCKING SICK, check em out...."masters of the universe...."

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
N.U.G. I totally agree(hip pop LOL) but there are so many that make music nowadays that if it has a rapper it is instantly hip hop...the generation that say is 13-18 like my younger sister now their impression of hip hop includes everything because of the way they grow up listening and absorbing the media has merged it....all lumped into the big but not so happy family.....so to be politically correct in a sense.....its hip hop music....you have to start having sub Genres......because in the beginning there was only one genre hip hop....it was not East Coast, West or South....just hip hop but because a listener has his own preference.....it has to be subdivided to know what you might be getting ready to listen to because the styles of the music bpm etc and the MC delivery, style and topics are specific to their own region.......its crazy now because my man is from the BX and he is true to form with east coast production, he even has a joint on DMX upcoming album...but...he mainly places most of his tracks with bad boy South and his beats for those projects sound just like you would expect SoUTh but that is feeding him and getting checks now, pretty soon its going to be like how in Europe or wherever they make hip hop sound like any of the classic hip hop from the 90's, they learned how to make the sound and if you hear beats you dont know where or who made it because they studied the art and repeated it.....add the MC, the content thats where the problems start and people start making their mind up about whether they can relate to anything that are in the lyrics that are specific to their own way of life or the regional hip hop topics, slang etc...if none of them apply to what I know or relate to and there is no message I cant really like it as a total piece of work, no matter how banging the beats might be that the MC is on......that's how I do.....

yep, I agree with a lot of what you're saying BigD.

To me it kinda comes down to the difference between hip-hop and rap and also the difference between being an MC and being a rapper. It's not always a clear difference between the two and it is very subjective but there is a difference to me. As an example of this being highly subjective is that peeps like Juvenile or Baby are rappers to me as I see their skill level and respect for the culture as bieing low to average while someone from their same crew and city called Lil Wayne is an MC to me (and a very good one too). Wayne's lyrical ability, wordplay and flow are crazy and show a high level of skill and respect for the artform (in my opinion anyway).

I think a lot of it comes down to the respect and understanding of the culture of both the listener and the rapper/MC as well as the skill level of the rapper/MC.

I see a similarity in movies and acting. You have peeps who a REAL actors like say an Al Pacino, Russel Crowe, Robert De Niro etc. and then you have people that just jump into it without really developing their skills and respecting the culture like say Shaquille O'neal, Paris Hilton, Hillary Duff etc.

that's how I see it anyway :)

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
Russel Crowe? i think not, i wouldnt place him in the top echelons of acting....but i see what you are saying....

members online