What are the best Hip Hop Drum Kits?

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
(Not quite a digging topic, but I couldn't decide where else to post this)

Over the past 10 years, I've been to just about every site on the web, download drum kits and have every vintage drum machine sampled, some great live acoustic drum kits, etc...

but... more than half of it is crap... techno music sounds, etc...

Is anyone aware of some really great hip hop drum kits (kicks, snares, hats, etc..)? I'm looking for a great collection of drum kits geared JUST FOR HIP HOP, which a professional has taken the time to master.

I'm always up for burning a 4GB DVD of all my kits for trade but to be honest, I'm overwhelmed with all these snares and kicks, and dont want to weed through the junk anymore.

Help re-ground this FOOO!

Thanks,

-NORTH

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
the best and most satisfing drum kits are the ones you build and fine tune yourself... there is no "best" out there, just start collecting random one shots and start building your own kits! Not only will you be more original, you will learn a lot in the process!

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
go out and buy some hip hop records and then sample all the drums off of there thast what I do. I feel ya though cuz most sounds I dl or that come off of reason are cheesy as hell. Sampling them straight from the source always works best for me. Also layer your drums alot. Especially the ones that sound weak so that way they can fatten up a lil bit

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DJ Hoppa said:
the best and most satisfing drum kits are the ones you build and fine tune yourself... there is no "best" out there, just start collecting random one shots and start building your own kits! Not only will you be more original, you will learn a lot in the process!

Yep

PrOLifiK said:
go out and buy some hip hop records and then sample all the drums off of there thast what I do. I feel ya though cuz most sounds I dl or that come off of reason are cheesy as hell. Sampling them straight from the source always works best for me. Also layer your drums alot. Especially the ones that sound weak so that way they can fatten up a lil bit

Yep

X

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Most drum hits you pull from the Net are crap, until you start tweaking them till you get the sound you want.

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
the modern beats - timbo drums, neptunes, dre are all pretty good to me - they're a bit repetitive but a good part of ur library

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Great points fellas. Thanks for that. It has already helped me hone in this vast array of single hits.

I am pretty good at sound design, so building kits is something I will get into.

Prolifix was talking about layering drum sounds... this can flatten your drum as well by creating a phase problem. To correct this, I've found layering a drum, such as snare on top of itself, and then changing the START TIME on one to start slightly after the other works well... then pan them in opposite directions... this will widen and fatten a drum... a vocal... or just about anything.

Thanks again guys... I'm off to building kits from scratch, and recycling some of my favorite producers to build some more core sounds up.

-NORTH

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Hey, what are you guys using to layer sounds? I've done a lot of this in ACID... but does Sound Forge or Wavelab allow you to layer sounds in it? I haven't seen this option.. and I'd hate to use ACID to layer simple hits...

I'm trying to figure out this Audio Montage shit in WaveLab right now...

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
NORTH said:
Hey, what are you guys using to layer sounds? I've done a lot of this in ACID... but does Sound Forge or Wavelab allow you to layer sounds in it? I haven't seen this option.. and I'd hate to use ACID to layer simple hits...

in a nut shell not trying to sound bland or sarcastic. but i use sampler...

I mainly use Reason's Nnxt sampler for this.. or when im at a Studio that does have my tools i use an mpc 3000 but in general all u need is a Sampler to layer sounds

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
NnXT uses Nnxt.. isn't that cute?

<bitch>Well... I've ruled out Wavelab's Audio Montage as an option, since the interface is the greatest piece of shit cock fuck lung I have ever seen in my life! How the fuck do you INSERT a mono or stereo track? RTFM? I did, and it is a piece of cunt scab too... UGGHH... </bitch>

Excuse my french, but FUCK!

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
NORTH said:
NnXT uses Nnxt.. isn't that cute?

<bitch>Well... I've ruled out Wavelab's Audio Montage as an option, since the interface is the greatest piece of shit cock fuck lung I have ever seen in my life! How the fuck do you INSERT a mono or stereo track? RTFM? I did, and it is a piece of cunt scab too... UGGHH... </bitch>

Excuse my french, but FUCK!

well the nnxt gets the job done for me so...
i've presonally never used Wavelab altho know what Wavelab is used for
( 2track mastering and or Mixing) i have something like that on the mac called Peak 4.. and this is something u can do with Acid and Wavelab

you can record ur sounds into acid using whatever u use rack .. vst. whatever.. level them correct.. toss em in wave lab. give them a good over all tweak.. and use it on ur in Vst sampler mpc Nnxt.. whatever... im sorry i cant answer ur question on Wavelab.. but im sure it cant be that diff from Peak what i do is just.. file open find the sound and there it is...

Actually if u hae PLugins for Acid u wont even need wavelab unless wavelab is ur plugin for Acid.. i remember back in the day where wavelab was just standalone

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yea, ACID works fine... it has VST support, buses, editing power, layering, etc... it just seems overkill for sound designing single hits, but perhaps it is best. Of course, my copy of ACID4 just crashed on me after spending 15 minutes layering some snares, eqing, etc... those RAT BASTARDS!

I can not imagine using the NNXT for this, however... as it would be hell to ZOOM into the micro level and nudge samples, pan, and has no VST support.

Anyone else here got a method or two?

Cheers,

-NORTH

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
NORTH said:
I can not imagine using the NNXT for this, however... as it would be hell to ZOOM into the micro level and nudge samples, pan, and has no VST support.

dont need to zoom with nnxt.. i load in my sounds tweak them place them on the keys i need if i need certains sounds to start sooner or later than others.. i use the Delay feature.. which will start the sample milliseconds later after i hit the key,, depends on what i set it tho...

ehh im not a big vst fan.. people get vst's for sounds, Sampler interfaces and mixing

Reason has the samplers i need.. sounds i got all that.. i dont need a interface with coded wav files to work for the interface.. i rather purchase the sounds it has in wav formart for cheaper you feell me.. Synths i wont even start on what i can do with reason synth units... everyone has there own Pref....

Upgrade to Acid 5 homie.. and why is it crashing you? not enough mem or is it the app it self let me know i may have a fix for it

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'm making progress on breaking out singe hits (snares, kicks) from my collection of roughly 2000 hip hop instrumentals. If anyone is interested in sharing... I can put these on an FTP real quick... but I'd like some sharing going on here... we're talking .5 second hits... so no worries with copyrights... IE: We can share this shit. Of course I'm only on beat 288 of 2000.... so this may take a few days... and DAMN... most producers protect their hits, by not exposing them naked... which is pissing me off.

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
Best drum kits are the ones that u feel and u never get tired, so that can be any of them its jus what u feelin.

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
True dat... BUT no one is going to get a fat beat out of an old casio keyboard... without some serious sound design... and so my point being, it helps to have a nice stock of CORE snares and kicks to build kits from.

This whole process for me, is about weeding out all the techno bullshit kicks, snares, etc.. replenishing some stock hip hop kicks and snares, and finally beginning to design some of my own kicks and snares (still curious what prog people use to do this).

Building the kits comes AFTER this stockpile phase...

-NORTH

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
NORTH said:

I'm trying to figure out this Audio Montage shit in WaveLab right now...

I like to use FL Studio to layer sounds. It's easy to add effects and panning. Once I find the sound I like, I export a .wav file and open up Soundforge isolate the start and end points.

I don't know if you can layer in Sound Forge (I don't know much about the program). There must be an option to combine .wav's (I'd think), but I don't think it would be as flexible as FL.

I can also do this in Ableton Live 4.0, but FL is easier.

I personally think 808 drums sound good in Hip Hop. I like 909 snares too.

Ctrl

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
What about the Native Instruments progs? Anyone using Kontact, Battery, or any NI shit for modifying drum sound, and building kits? Please share your thoughts on what is best and why.

-NORTH

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
NORTH said:
What about the Native Instruments progs? Anyone using Kontact, Battery, or any NI shit for modifying drum sound, and building kits? Please share your thoughts on what is best and why.

-NORTH

I use Kontakt for filtering and applying effects sometimes, but not for layering.

Ctrl

members online