Thoughts on pirated software?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
If I had the money, I would've purchased everything......as would everyone else in here..

But since most of us don't, it's a means to an end....Not like we're making millions off of it....to most of us, it's just a hobby to pass the time......

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
"it's the same principle."

??

So a builder can not build a house because he did not invent the hammer?
I was just pointing out mostly that in much the same way we "borrow" software to make ridiculously popular songs (lol), software developers "borrow" entire libraries full of functions to make ridiculously expensive programs with. I bet most of the time spent developing programs like fruityloops ETC was put into developing the GUI, rather than the internal functions of the program. Like with most things, I believe you pay for the "packaging" of the software (although in terms of software by packaging i mean GUI).

It would be stupid IMO to spend money on something I could get for free anyways.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
a lack of cash is an excuse. especially when there's quality free and inexpensive shit. no one has to have pt, or waves, or sonnox. hell, even shit like ddmf, which is pay what you want, has been cracked.

i don't care either way, mainly because i'm not affected and i've done my dirt and still am, but people should at least own their actions. if there's no shame in your game, own it.

but don't make a mistake and go unto sites that regulate posts about cracks and get yourself banned. and don't make yourself look like a fool, like a bunch of people are doing now, going to cubase.net forums with their cracked nuendo 4/cubase 5 asking dumb questions and ignorant to the fact that you need to actually register the elicense and dongle to get answers.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
do you really think more time is spent on the gui than the actual modeling, frequency curves, response, filters, functionality, compatibility and behaviour?

shouldn't you know the actual process of developing plugs (vst/vsti. rtas, mas, au, dx, vst3) before you make a 'bet' that most time is spent on the gui?

they seemed to have done a little more than work on the gui, but hey, i'm no expert

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
that makes even less sense.

every daw has plugins and virtual instruments. they have to simplify complex routing needs, compatibility between o/s and versions and external hardware, etc, etc... even the gui has to properly interact with the functions and wrap 3rd party software made with different dev kits. this is true for the big traditional daws, the smaller morre innovative daws, as well as trackers.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
i don't know about that I believe alot of the functions are just pulled from libraries. most 3rd party software is one of whatever the 5 or 6 file formats are (VST etc) which are standard so it's easy to integrate them into the daw. Most external hardware is of certain industry standards anway (MIDI, whatever else)

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
... just silliness...

i don't know about that I believe alot of the functions are just pulled from libraries. most 3rd party software is one of whatever the 5 or 6 file formats are (VST etc) which are standard so it's easy to integrate them into the daw. Most external hardware is of certain industry standards anway (MIDI, whatever else)

I think you are seriously misinformed as to what it takes to develop any sort of DAW or plugin.

True, there are "code libraries" (also known as legacy code) to make certain common functions easier to program.. but as the name 'legacy code' would imply, it's old code generally left over from now archaic programs... that's why the code is out there and publicly available for developers...

Where you are misinformed is in the place that these code libraries take in the programming stage. Maybe, if I was developing a DAW, I could find a piece of legacy code that facilitates VST integration... maybe. But what I couldn't find is how to internally configure that into my particular channel strips or how to enable plug-in chains and bypass or a/b comparison settings, etc...

Yes, there are industry standard protocols like MIDI, OSC, etc... but it's not like these things just exist. Do you even know how many lines of code it would take to make it so that just 1 piece of MIDI CC data could be assignable to a control in my DAW? Do you think that there is some sort of code library that is just magically maintained by developers at large for other people to use? Absolutely not.

EVERY single DAW out there has been 'hand-programmed' using coding methods unique to that particular program. There are literally millions, if not billions of line of code that go into these things. They are painstakingly adjusted and hand-written by individual programmers with only extraordinarily minor elements being drawn from legacy code.

In fact, it's the exact opposite of what you think that is the truth. It's mostly the GUI elements that are taken from legacy code. Things like linking buttons to commands and linking those button positions to the saved graphics are already built into a lot of development platforms....but that doesn't mean that those commands don't have to be written or the graphics created from scratch...

Seriously man, from what I gather, you know virtually nothing about this topic.... You're just shitting on developers with ignorance-based assumptions to justify yourself pirating software.

ess vinyl

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
for me bottom line is if ur not making much money from your craft and using pirated software than ur not exactly screwing anyone out of any money. but if u are getting guap off music then it is only right to give back

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
for me bottom line is if ur not making much money from your craft and using pirated software than ur not exactly screwing anyone out of any money. but if u are getting guap off music then it is only right to give back

Exactly. If I was making thousands off of it, and had the spare change to buy the programs then I would. But I'm not, so I get them for free. I don't go stealing the hardware though haha. I think to be honest it justifies spending my hard earnt cash on something when it is sitting in front of me, like my MPC, rather than just a program on my laptop.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259

Well said and I cosign 100%. On top of that...Its NOT stealing if its given to you. Someone may say "its still recieving stolen proporty" but if the person that uploaded it bought it legally and made it availiable, thats no more stealing than me buying a coat and giving it away is.

dac

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
If you bought it you should do with it as you please! The only way I look at it as absolutely positively stealing is if you are bootlegging the pirated software. In other words if you got it free but you burn it to disc and sell it as if it's yours.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I have come up with the ultimate answer for this problem...and its simple...

Make everything hardware! That wouldnt stop people from stealing but you sure as heyell cant download a MPC.

problem solved!

LMAO,

dac

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
from my experience at ni I can tell you, programming the back end as well as building the gui is a shitload of work and theres many people involved in a project like kontakt or traktor.
and there's lots of semi-professional to even professional studios and producers using pirated software.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
I think you are seriously misinformed as to what it takes to develop any sort of DAW or plugin.

True, there are "code libraries" (also known as legacy code) to make certain common functions easier to program.. but as the name 'legacy code' would imply, it's old code generally left over from now archaic programs... that's why the code is out there and publicly available for developers...

Where you are misinformed is in the place that these code libraries take in the programming stage. Maybe, if I was developing a DAW, I could find a piece of legacy code that facilitates VST integration... maybe. But what I couldn't find is how to internally configure that into my particular channel strips or how to enable plug-in chains and bypass or a/b comparison settings, etc...

Yes, there are industry standard protocols like MIDI, OSC, etc... but it's not like these things just exist. Do you even know how many lines of code it would take to make it so that just 1 piece of MIDI CC data could be assignable to a control in my DAW? Do you think that there is some sort of code library that is just magically maintained by developers at large for other people to use? Absolutely not.

EVERY single DAW out there has been 'hand-programmed' using coding methods unique to that particular program. There are literally millions, if not billions of line of code that go into these things. They are painstakingly adjusted and hand-written by individual programmers with only extraordinarily minor elements being drawn from legacy code.

In fact, it's the exact opposite of what you think that is the truth. It's mostly the GUI elements that are taken from legacy code. Things like linking buttons to commands and linking those button positions to the saved graphics are already built into a lot of development platforms....but that doesn't mean that those commands don't have to be written or the graphics created from scratch...

Seriously man, from what I gather, you know virtually nothing about this topic.... You're just shitting on developers with ignorance-based assumptions to justify yourself pirating software.
You're seriously misinformed my friend. And leading this thread far off topic. Let's leave it at this: you're seriously misinformed. What I am referring to is not legacy code, and so the rest of your argument fails. Have you not heard of open source or GNU liscenced code? There are huge open source communities with code examples and librairies available to anyone to use in any program. Epic failure, sed...

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
dude, there isn't any code from open source projecs in native, ableton, waves, steinberg etc. products. thats just stupid.

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
askin if it's wrong to dload pirated software is like asking "would you fuck someone over for your own benefit?" the answer is obvious and people do it all the time, you probably do it on a regular basis throughout ur life n dont care, but because someone spent all this time developing the software n arent getting paid for it its wrong? fux that, im lookin out 4 myself

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You're seriously misinformed my friend. And leading this thread far off topic. Let's leave it at this: you're seriously misinformed. What I am referring to is not legacy code, and so the rest of your argument fails. Have you not heard of open source or GNU liscenced code? There are huge open source communities with code examples and librairies available to anyone to use in any program. Epic failure, sed...

Do you honestly believe what you're saying? Really?
If so.... I can't say much more.

members online