The difference between PC's and samplers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

You can get drum pads and knobs that not only emulate the ones found on hardware, but they can be programmed to control sequencers like Cubase and other hardware synths.

Even Akai is feeling the heat, they are about to release software versions of their hardware samplers and they have already put on the market a drum pad identical to the one found on the MPC series. The drum pad can also be programmed to control other things...

What are some things you can do with hardware that you can't do with a computer? NOTHING in theory, because hardware like the MPC is actually a computer...however, in practice, the reality is that hardware is generally more stable because it was designed from the ground up to do one thing and one thing only. It only runs an operating system and sampler/sequencing program, it stores sample data in RAM, it records MIDI events and plays them back, and it allows you to do basic editing of MIDI and audio data.

Hardware is also a heck of a lot more portable and solid than a computer, this is important for doing live shows or bringing gear over to a friend's house. I just purchased a hardware sampler for this reason, I don't quite trust computers yet to stand up to the wear and tear of setting up, playing and tearing down.

And harware is cooler than computers...I have 9 hardware synths and only one software synth....:D Nothing wows the ladies more than going into my studio and seeing all those lights and buttons, it definitely makes my willy wobble.

Take care,

Nick

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
as it´s already been said: a sampler´s sole purpose is receiving midi data, editting samples and playing them back.
Samplers are more stable than a computer because they cannot be upgraded with components. you can´t buy a graphic board, video card, keyboard, wireless lan card or whatever for it. there is no stuff like a registry or poorly programmed drivers and there are no other companies but the manufacturer (akai, emu, roland etc.) that supply extensions, so everything should run smoothly and their shouldn´t be any compatibility issues. But as soon as you try to hook up your sampler to some non-akai manufactured device (scsi card etc.) you might start to experience problems.

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by vitaminman
Hey,

You can get drum pads and knobs that not only emulate the ones found on hardware, but they can be programmed to control sequencers like Cubase and other hardware synths.

Even Akai is feeling the heat, they are about to release software versions of their hardware samplers and they have already put on the market a drum pad identical to the one found on the MPC series. The drum pad can also be programmed to control other things...

yeah, of course you can buy MIDI-controlllers for a computer, but that is... aditional hardware.... a computer doesn't have build in knobs, controllers and stuff. So that'S tha big differens, a MPC is biuld fpe one purpose and serves that one purpose well, a Computer ins not...

B

BeatOff

Originally posted by Barock
yeah, of course you can buy MIDI-controlllers for a computer, but that is... aditional hardware.... a computer doesn't have build in knobs, controllers and stuff. So that'S tha big differens, a MPC is biuld fpe one purpose and serves that one purpose well, a Computer ins not...
People run MPC's to the computer as well as all other hardware. Who said the computer is not built for that? A computer can be made to be used anyway you want.

T

ThePryme

All I have to say is you cant make music and look at naked girls at the same time on hardware :-D

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by ThePryme
All I have to say is you cant make music and look at naked girls at the same time on hardware :-D

Very good point...LOL! Hardware users...you loose! ha ha.

But then again, hardware users who's got a lot of gear probably get random pussy for just having the gear...once again, its a tie.

T

ThePryme

lol that statement is only true if you can get random pussy without the hardware. In that case you have more problem then whether or not you should use "hardware" or a computer.

R

Rip

my hardware set up has got me pussy every time! like, "ohhh....nice equipment!!!" my pc hasnt impressed too many chicks yet..

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thank you dickhead ;) ... plz read my posts carefully. As I said, a computer does not have build in drum-pads. Of course you can buy midi controllers such as those pads, but they are aditional hardware, and not a PC or mac with software
n'aamsayin'?

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by Barock
thank you dickhead ;) ... plz read my posts carefully. As I said, a computer does not have build in drum-pads. Of course you can buy midi controllers such as those pads, but they are aditional hardware, and not a PC or mac with software
n'aamsayin'?

Hey smart guy.... MPC's dont have built in sounds. Does that mean you cant make music with them? What does buying extra gear have to do with anything? I punch my drums in just like you. Except after I'm done playing them I can see each note I played on a giant screen and move shit around how I want, and also I have about 5000 times more memory, and about 100 times the editing speed and capabilities. And if that wasnt enough I can also record vocals and master and burn my tracks all inside the same program. I like the MPC for its simplicity and stability but as far as features its like comparing a VWbug to a Helicopter. It gets shitted on.

Why try to clown computers when you obviously dont know what they're capabel of.? Just cuz you got a MPC dont mean you gotta hate on everything else. The point of this thread was to show that Hardware and Computers are made from the same shit so neither is more professional than the other one. I mean cant we all just get along?haha. But seriously.........:fuckyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.