The difference between PC's and samplers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

There aren't any! And as soon as I figure out how to attach images, I'll show you...

Nick

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Here we go...

You will notice that the guts of my Emu e6400 Ultra has the same type of guts as a computer, except that there is no mouse, the 'keyboard' is small and the 'monitor' is a backlit LCD.

You can use normal RAM that fits in a computer, you can use normal floppy drives fit in a computer, you can use normal SCSI and IDE drives that fit in a computer, you can connect it to external SCSI devices such as hard drives and CDROMS like a normal computer...

Gosh, I guess my sampler IS a computer!!

So here's the question: What is the difference between using a hardware sampler and using a computer?

Something to chew on...

Nick

Attachments

• sampler-text.jpg
    sampler-text.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 335
B

BeatOff

I've been knowing this thats why when idiots come on here bashing PC beats i can only shake my head.

B

BeatOff

Word I use the PC to chop up samples, you must be crazy to think i'm gonna make it harder on myself turning the MPC wheel to cut a sample, with a pc you can chop a sample to perfection to the very minut beginning that you would miss on the mpc or in the triton.

B

BOSS AUTHORITY

Word, sample editing is million times easier on a PC!
Programming beats with a keyboard and mouse is whack though. Need some sort of hardware with that shiot.

B

Briellz

Cleaning and chopping up samples on the computer is great.

Im co-signing with BOSS AUTHORITY! Programming on the computer is wack!

stabster

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I agree, I chop and clean up my samples on the pc, but when it comes to programming, the mpc is my choice!

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by BOSS AUTHORITY
Word, sample editing is million times easier on a PC!
Programming beats with a keyboard and mouse is whack though. Need some sort of hardware with that shiot.

Have any of yall heard of the Akai MPD-16? And midi controllers? And Emagic logic control? and Steinberg Houston? and Digidesign 002? I think Mackie makes one too. These are all hardware controllers for PC's. So you get the speed and power of a PC but with the hardware control. Best of both worlds.

When I make tracks on my PC I only use the mouse to do things that are impossible to do with hardware anywayz haha :fuckyou:

;)

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
to do things the easiyer way, doesn't mean they are better. And there are things you can di with hardware that you can't with a computer.

I can understend PC heads, complainung about "PC beats are whack, get hardware" statements, but I've hardly seen PC head who don't try to tell ev'rybody and they momma, that they can do anything better, easier and cheaper with a PC instead of a MPC fo' example....

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Barock
to do things the easiyer way, doesn't mean they are better. And there are things you can di with hardware that you can't with a computer.

Such as?

I can understend PC heads, complainung about "PC beats are whack, get hardware" statements, but I've hardly seen PC head who don't try to tell ev'rybody and they momma, that they can do anything better, easier and cheaper with a PC instead of a MPC fo' example.... [/B]

I feel you. Computers are a hassle to set up. And they're unreliable. And they're fragile. And they're not as "Pro" :)rolleyes: ) as hardware. But once you get your gear workin right its hard to beat for a home studio. Unless you got loot to burn.

I'm not recommending a computer set up to anybody anymore becuase I told my friend to get a G4 with Logic about a year ago and he still doesnt have that shyte running smoothly. He would have been better off with a nice solid MPC2kxl. Computers aint for everybody.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Some of you are missing the point of the post...hardware samplers like that Emu and the MPC series ARE computers, they all have the similar components and run on software, I was trying to get people to explain the differences between the two so that both camps could have a better understanding of their gear.

And I don't mean reasons like 'yo, my mpc is dope, fo'RRREEEEAAAALLLLZZZZZ hollaa back'.

Some Guy brought up a good point: computers are a hassle to set up, unreliable and fragile, but once you get them configured properly they're hard to beat in a home studio.

No one will disagree that PC's are sometimes a pain, but what it is that makes them 'hard to beat' in a home studio?

Some Guy also said that PC's are 'not as pro'...why not?

Nick

B

BeatOff

I think Some Guy was being Sarcastic, because I as well as him have heard the "Awww blood you use a PC thats weak professional producers use mpc's and tritons". I was in Guitar Center and these idiots were listining to Timbaland beats in the production room sayin dumb shit like, "Man you can tell he uses a computer with all those computer cheap goofy sounds he uses".

People have no idea what they are saying anymore. Soon they gonna be dissin hardware for being big and bulky. "Hardware is so 80s man get with the times" I use hardware by the way.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I think a lot of people are still stuck with the mentality that hardware is the way to go if you want professional recordings. The way I see it, since PCs are strongly used in professional studios - then obviously they can be used in a professional way.

As for your point vitaminman, I agree; both PCs and hardware have the same "guts" so to speak. Probably the reason why people have always been stuck on hardware is because PCs weren't as powerful years ago, so everyone turned to "pro" gear to record.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by vitaminman
Hey,

No one will disagree that PC's are sometimes a pain, but what it is that makes them 'hard to beat' in a home studio?

Some Guy also said that PC's are 'not as pro'...why not?

Nick

Wassup Vitamin. I think what makes computers hard to beat in the home studio is that you can get over a hundred tracks of audio, and almost unlimited sample size, and greater editiing power, and easy cheap expandability, all for a fraction of the cost of hardware. I mean a good digital 24 track is atleast 3 g's not including effects boards etc. And it has nowhere near the power of a PC as far as editing and expandability.

Oh and I dont think PC's aint pro. I was being sarcastic becuase most folks I talk to say stupid shit like: "Making tracks on a PC aint Pro". Which I think is funny cuz my PC does a thousand things that even the MPC-4k cant do. But oh well, I dont even argue with folks like that.

Everybody should use what they want. They're all computers.

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Some Guy
Such as?

well, does your computer has drum pads? does he has knobs and potis for an easy and "real" feeling or use?
No, you have a mouse and a keyboard, and I hate this crap....

Status
Not open for further replies.