Showcase - May 16-22, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
@@DeCrescendo Sick beat bruh nice work on the transitions and mix!!!!
@@Spuntastic I like the fact you step outside the box with this!!!
@@Erik dope sick chops i would probably add a horn or so in there!! nice melody though
@@NuNu video game soundtrack all day here bruh!! loving it!! keep up the good work!!
@@Klypse Dope work here!!
@@Hadoq nice work man!! #boss!!

Spuntastic

cinephile/beatmaker
Battle Points: 82
@Spuntastic
what are you making your beats on?
Reason 8. don't have ze money for bigger hardware yet
Machinery is weird, but I'm digging the low synth composition. Think a drop would fit nicely in this. Minimal Output is mental. Something to drift into another spaces. I hear heavy boom bap drums kicking in after the rise at around 3:30 floating with the piano. Maybe I'm trying to remix this if you don't mind. Heroic is a bit too full for my taste. The composition is dope tho, how long did it take to come up with that?

tomkillsjerry delivered as usual. can't really say anything about it, mix is on point. can imagine this being played in a club or something. good work mate.

tenmorenames. altho i'm not really listening to synth-heavy stuff i'm digging this wobble-shit. good stuff

can't see your video wizard, is it just me?

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Machinery is weird, but I'm digging the low synth composition. Think a drop would fit nicely in this. Minimal Output is mental. Something to drift into another spaces. I hear heavy boom bap drums kicking in after the rise at around 3:30 floating with the piano. Maybe I'm trying to remix this if you don't mind. Heroic is a bit too full for my taste. The composition is dope tho, how long did it take to come up with that?

tomkillsjerry delivered as usual. can't really say anything about it, mix is on point. can imagine this being played in a club or something. good work mate.

tenmorenames. altho i'm not really listening to synth-heavy stuff i'm digging this wobble-shit. good stuff

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

let me know if this works ??

Chad

Battle Points: 8
@Spuntastic : I like how you paid a lot of attention to both the convo samples you used and the timbre of the instruments that you used in the composition. Some sound effects could be used to add more interest to the beat. Other than that I think having someone rap over this could also make it even more interesting.

@NuNu : This is a dope beat. I like the electro/ techno influence you put in it, especially with the kick drum, you might need to work on the eq and the compression of the drums a bit but I think you chose good sounds. The timbre of synths fit well with the whole beat and I like how you used a change in texture to create more dynamism. The main theme does get repetitive sometimes though, especially around 2:20, maybe the piano sequence that drops right after it could be a little longer. All in all, good job though

@DeCrescendo : This was an all-around great beat, I especially like the programming on the synths and the hi hat sounds. It’s obvious that you pay a lot of attention to timbre when producing. The variety of textures throughout the beat also makes it interesting, all while being suitable for rapping.

@tomkillsjerry : Dope beat. I like the synth programming and the overall choice of sounds. The use of the low pass filter and changing textures is also a great way to create dynamics

@NONONSENSEBEATS : Nice sounds, melodies, and change in texture. It sounds kind of soft throughout though, you might need to mix it a little louder and add some delay or reverb to instruments so that the texture sounds less sparse.

Here are my beats:

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
@Spuntastic thanks. For reason/software only, you're doing pretty well actually. I really can't do anything with virtual instruments, I really need to touch knobs and sliders to make music. Fortunately I've been collecting some stuff (lost most a few years ago tho) for some time now.
I only use software for recording, midi, and drums.

I always have the same workflow, after I set the tempo and time signature, I first begin with one element, often the drums, a bass line or some pad, chords progression etc... first the sound, then the notes. Then I build on that first element.
if I'm lucky, I get in the "zone" where everything starts to flow. In which case, if I have enough time on my hands, I can do a track a day, maybe even two sometimes.

But as I'm fairly busy (I run a retail shop and I work there everyday, I have to manage almost everything by myself), I rarely have the time to finish.
I usually play music early in the morning (6am - 9am) and then a little bit when I get back home in the evening (7pm - 9/10pm).
So I have usually a couple projects/ideas going on at the same time. If after a given amount of work/time on a project, I can't get in the "zone", I start a new project and leave the old one aside for when I'll eventually come back to it (I usually don't).

"Machinery" was pretty straightforward and I think I've completed it in one evening plus one morning
the other two took a couple days. Sometimes when I'm too deep into a project, I can't get ideas anymore, this is usually the time I decide to stop and do something else, give it a night.

lately it's been really hard to come up with anything, but at times, I can come up with one beat/track a day.

If you want to get into hardware, a nice virtual analog synth like a nord lead for example can be affordable and make a huge difference.
Virtual analogs aren't as "fat" as true analogs, but they still sound much better than any VST synth out there. And they'll be more polyvalent than their analog counterparts, they'll have user presets, many routing options allowing for complex synthesis.

as a virtual analog synth, I have an alesis ION that I got used for about $500, great synth
then I got myself a korg ms-20 mini (they did a clone of the original, but with -basic- midi implementation), which is everything but polyvalent, but still sounds killer
korg also released the minilogue, which is a relatively cheap polyphonic true analog synth (about the same price as the MS-20 mini), but out of stock throughout europe. I ordered one but it won't be delivered before september. But it seems to be a VERY good deal
so in the meanwhile I ordered a moog mother 32 which will be delivered next week for a more "classic" sounding mono synth with modular capabilities (for later)

Analog and Virtual analog synths really help me bring depth in my music, with ever evolving sounds. I believe pretty much every "producer" out there uses them for a reason (no pun intended ;) ) and it's really a totally different experience when you get to shape your music with your hands. You create a relationship with the machine until it becomes an extension of your inner self, just as your voice is an extension of your thoughts.
It is possible through computers and softwares, but for me, it has to be through knobs and keys and whatnot, I've tried the full VST way, it didn't work out.

nevertheless, I can never recommend enough that you try and finance yourself at least a decent virtual analog (nord lead 2 are everywhere!) it'll change your life and open new possibilities.

the only drawback is that they will make you lose time doing "sounds" rather than doing "music" and it's easy to get lost in the synthesis aspect of things.

PS: I'll do a full rundown of the beats posted after mine tomorrow morning <3

ill o.g.
Made this beat for a couple local rappers. I used fl studio as my initial daw. used a few vsts like nexus and sylenth1. would love some constructive criticism. thanks.

Spuntastic

cinephile/beatmaker
Battle Points: 82
@wizard, no I just see blank space
@Hadoq I do have a midi keyboard with pads n shit but it's just to trigger samples and drums and play my basslines. i think my drums did get more dynamic after I actually "play" them instead of clicking them into the software. what I want is something to load my sample onto and chop and arrange it there, even if i'm outside. like the Roland SP-404

Dob

Battle Points: 10
@HeavyTakeMusic Your Beat is working descent!
@Chad I really like the melody of the first one. Both tracks are smooth. Just need some more kicking Drums
@TenMoreNames Feeling this and really enjoying this!
@tomkillsjerry I like it where the tracks gets you. Smooth!
@Hadoq Enjoyed the tracks. Piano was dope.Especially liked the last one!

I tried the 93'til Infinity Sample and this Joint came out.

ColeSllaw

ColeSllaw
Battle Points: 17
@Chad your melodies on both songs were dope but i would make the drums a little more complex, they are the backbone of the song
@Dob this is pretty cool, i would put a different effect on the piano to match the rest of the sounds. The mix was pretty on point too

Haven't posted anything for a while so here is my latest

Zephyr52

Hey guys, here's a WIP beat. I'm dabbling in sampling for the first time (I usually compose my own melodies). Will return feedback in a bit.

Hey everyone,
I just signed up to this site today. I've been making beats since about February of this year...it's been fun so far haha. Here's a track I made using a Ludovico Einaudi sample:

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online