Showcase - February 14 - 20, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my remix inspire you to dig this one out? :)

This is sooooooooooo nice! It's a little choppy on the sampling but you've flipped it to perfection. Be nice to hear you re-do this now. It would be much more buttery! Can you send me an mp3 of this? Love it! Thanks for sharing.
@hosie Actually it did inspire me! I was working on my mixing skills more at the time and this was one of my favorite joints. I haven't done a remix in a while. I am glad you like this one. I will definitely send it to you. I appreciate the feedback!

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 5
I thought this was going to be a "Grime" beat. Glad it wasn't! This is really nice. Perfectly executed as always. Love how you sprinkle all the different elements over the beat. Makes it really original sounding. Nice work!!

Here's a remix I've (almost) finished of The Roots - Don't Say Nuthin

I thought this was going to be a "Grime" beat. Glad it wasn't! This is really nice. Perfectly executed as always. Love how you sprinkle all the different elements over the beat. Makes it really original sounding. Nice work!!

@hosie, that’s a dope remix I actually prefer your vibe to the original. Original all on that knight rider theme where as yours is down and gritty and for me fits better, nice work man

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad

The beat and the raps are working very well. Fire man.

Its funny listening to this, I tried to do a remix of the same joint but never finished it. When I first heard the original back when it came out, it was a different vibe. Something I was not used to from The Roots. Had I heard this version when it came out, I would have liked it a little better. This is The Roots type of sounds. Love the drums especially. Dope!
See...you making me want to pull another remix out!

I appreciate you checking it out my guy!

This time I created a beat with no samples. It sounded a bit to clean so I recorded and sampled my voice on top.
Feedback as always very appreciated.
Nothing here yet.
@Kane the MOD This is clean! This reminds me of something Mobb Deep would have rapped to because of the taps and pianos. I also like the way you added the dusty record effect (if im correct). You did your thing on this!

hosie

ILLIEN
@Kane the MOD This is clean! This reminds me of something Mobb Deep would have rapped to because of the taps and pianos. I also like the way you added the dusty record effect (if im correct). You did your thing on this!
Yep, I agree. Cool voice for vocals too! Would have liked a slightly crunchier/ grittier clap / snare as I thought it sounded more like a hi hat. But yea, nice sound particularly given that there was no samples. I'd have assumed they were!

hosie

ILLIEN
First off, thanks for the feedback on The Roots remix and special thanks for mentioning the drums as I spent a while trying to get them sound like Roots drums and generally have that Roots groove / feel.

Your Monch remix is great! No wonder this inspired you to dig that one out. Really digging the drums on yours and the samples are exactly how you'd want them flipped on a Monch beat. Again, wouldn't mind you sending me this one on mp3! Cheers. Hosie

Kane the MOD

Yep, I agree. Cool voice for vocals too! Would have liked a slightly crunchier/ grittier clap / snare as I thought it sounded more like a hi hat. But yea, nice sound particularly given that there was no samples. I'd have assumed they were!
Thank you man. Appreciate your feedback. I felt the piano gave it a jazzy vibe so I went for a light snare this time.

Will be back with the hard hitting drums next week.

Kane the MOD

Thank you. Yeah I think the RX20 wobble on the piano makes it sound older. I also recorded vinyl crackle from an old record. This is actually a sample that I used now that I think about it.

hosie

ILLIEN
Thank you. Yeah I think the RX20 wobble on the piano makes it sound older. I also recorded vinyl crackle from an old record. This is actually a sample that I used now that I think about it.
Haha! I don't think that counts. I've got a whole bunch of crackle samples if anyone wants anyway. I'd recommend Kramer Tape, Sketch Cassette and Vinyl VSTs for that old analogue sound too.

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
@MR. MINESTATE Damn man. These are hard.
First one: I really enjoyed this man. I love how you sparingly used the bass line. There is a lot of empty space in the low end, which allows the kick and lower textures of the instruments to come through. Exceptional work. No criticisms/feedback on this one partner.
Second one: This one is also very good. I think it was a little repetitive and could maybe use more melodic changes to be more viable as an instrumental. However, I think this would be perfect for a rapper. Very nice job man!

@hosie Very nice job on this one brother. I love the swing of the drums. and the cadence of the melodic elements. Also, the scratches and sfx are really nice man. One opinion on the mixing is I feel like the vocals were a tad too loud because of the way they are processed. They cut through very much. I would say maybe a few percent down would be nice for my taste. Honestly, really great job!

@C12omega This is sick, I like the sound selection on this. on the drums and 808s. One feedback would be that the synth at :41 sounds really generic, the melody is nice, just the sound of it seems stock. Other than that, great job man.

@Kane the MOD Great job man. Very interesting sounds and melodies here man. One mixing feedback I have is that I sense some inconsistency in the perceived volume of certain instruments through the track. For instance, at 1:40, you pull in the high end of the piano chords, which make them sound way louder. On certain output devices, that sudden volume change can be unsettling. So I would recommend leveling the volume of the piano DOWN as the frequencies come back in. Other than that, really awesome job on this man. I enjoyed it!

@MR. MINESTATE Damn man. These are hard.
First one: I really enjoyed this man. I love how you sparingly used the bass line. There is a lot of empty space in the low end, which allows the kick and lower textures of the instruments to come through. Exceptional work. No criticisms/feedback on this one partner.
Second one: This one is also very good. I think it was a little repetitive and could maybe use more melodic changes to be more viable as an instrumental. However, I think this would be perfect for a rapper. Very nice job man!

@hosie Very nice job on this one brother. I love the swing of the drums. and the cadence of the melodic elements. Also, the scratches and sfx are really nice man. One opinion on the mixing is I feel like the vocals were a tad too loud because of the way they are processed. They cut through very much. I would say maybe a few percent down would be nice for my taste. Honestly, really great job!

@C12omega This is sick, I like the sound selection on this. on the drums and 808s. One feedback would be that the synth at :41 sounds really generic, the melody is nice, just the sound of it seems stock. Other than that, great job man.

@Kane the MOD Great job man. Very interesting sounds and melodies here man. One mixing feedback I have is that I sense some inconsistency in the perceived volume of certain instruments through the track. For instance, at 1:40, you pull in the high end of the piano chords, which make them sound way louder. On certain output devices, that sudden volume change can be unsettling. So I would recommend leveling the volume of the piano DOWN as the frequencies come back in. Other than that, really awesome job on this man. I enjoyed it!
@Rah.sool Good looking out for the feedback. I definitely value anything that would allow me to become a better producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.