RIP GURU. Sad day for Hip Hop

Solar To Critics: "Guru made this statement from his own mouth..."

All HipHop News said:
http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/ne...rBizDaily (SolarBizDaily)&utm_content=Twitter

^^ Check out some of the comments there. ^^^

(AllHipHop News) Producer Solar has lashed out at growing speculation over the authenticity of a letter sent out this morning along with a press release announcing the death of revered rapper, Guru of Gangstarr.

Solar, who was a partner with Guru in the 7Grand Record label, broke the news today (April 20th) that Guru had succumbed to cancer yesterday morning (April 19th) after battling the disease for several years.

Many fans have questioned a final letter from Guru, who allegedly refused to acknowledge group member, DJ Premier, who produced the majority of Gangstarr’s classic tracks.

"I do not wish my ex-DJ to have anything to do with my name likeness, events tributes etc. connected in anyway to my situation including any use of my name or circumstance for any reason and I have instructed my lawyers to enforce this,” Guru allegedly wrote before his death. “I had nothing to do with him in life for over 7 years and want nothing to do with him in death. Solar has my life story and is well informed on my family situation, as well as the real reason for separating from my ex-DJ.”

In addition to his death, the controversial statement has left fans doubting if Guru, born Keith Elam, would issue such harsh words while he was sick with cancer and undergoing treatment.

“Guru made this statement from his own mouth and anybody saying different is insane with Hate!” Solar Tweeted today (April 20th).

Drama aside, fans and friends reacted in shock about the news of Guru’s sudden death.

"Guru Rest in Peace. Good times good memories. Wish we had reconnected one last time. Farewell fam,” Masta Ace said.

"R.I.P GURU LOVE YOU MY BROTHER the World Will Miss You!!!! WE LOST A Great Man and a Big Part OF HIP HOP History!!!" Fat Joe added.

Ok hes using the old hater line. And hes saying Guru said it?!?!
This guy gets more suspect by the second.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
he was the first to really marry the two genres of hip hop and jazz and do it well.

Actually there was this group called Tribe Called Quest who really made it nice as well... lol

I dont disagree with you though.

Props to Shaheed Mohammed.

and this is why releasing the letter the same day, real or fake, was dumb. it's casting shade on a moment that should be focused on his death and his career

I think we can all agree on this... That is the basis of any division right there..

“Guru made this statement from his own mouth and anybody saying different is insane with Hate!” Solar Tweeted today (April 20th).
I had a friend pass that was sooo dope but like crap like this would have never been on my mind to say as his recent mouth piece....
"I can understand" , would be more in line, guess he guilty ..

Anyway guy is a great influence and I agree jazzmataz was dope as hell..

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
"insane with hate"

I'ma need someone close other than him to validate this non-senses...

PS. Did Guru every come out of the coma? if not, how'd this get written?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
and this is why releasing the letter the same day, real or fake, was dumb. it's casting shade on a moment that should be focused on his death and his career

Yeah, whoever put this letter out was special.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
RIP. I feel like with his passing the 90's have also moved further away.

Wow...

Fuck...that's exactly how I feel..

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Damn i think yall bois might be right....check out freddy fox twitter...shit is gettin super stupid.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Official Preemo Statement

courtesy of djpremierblog.com:

http://www.djpremierblog.com/2010/04/21/official-statement-from-dj-premier-on-the-death-of-guru/

"IT WAS A SAD DAY FOR ME TO GET CONFIRMATION ON THE DEATH OF A MAN WHO I WILL CONTINUE TO CALL MY BROTHER, KEITH ELAM, BETTER KNOWN AS GURU OF THE LEGENDARY GANG STARR.

FROM 1988-2004, WE EXPERIENCED SO MUCH SUCCESS TOGETHER THAT WE WERE ABLE TO EXPAND OUR BUSINESSES INDEPENDENTLY AND GIVE EACH OTHER WHAT GURU CALLED “CREATIVE SPACE”, BEFORE PLANNING TO REUNITE FOR OUR 7TH LP WHEN THE TIME WAS RIGHT. TRAGICALLY, WE WILL NEVER REACH THAT DAY.

I’VE BEEN ASKED TO COMMENT ON A LETTER SPEAKING ILL OF ME WHICH WAS SUPPOSEDLY WRITTEN BY GURU IN HIS DYING DAYS. ALL I WILL SAY ABOUT IT IS THAT OUR TIME TOGETHER WAS BEAUTIFUL, WE BUILT A HIP HOP LEGACY TOGETHER, AND NO ONE CAN RE-WRITE HISTORY OR TAKE AWAY MY LOVE FOR HIM. ONE THING I WOULD NEVER DO IS PLAY AROUND WITH THE TRUTH ABOUT HIS LIFE.

I WILL CELEBRATE GURU’S LIFE… I WILL HONOR HIS MEMORY… I WILL GRIEVE WITH THE ELAM FAMILY OVER HIS UNTIMELY DEATH… I WILL REMEMBER THE GANG STARR FOUNDATION AND ALL OF THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF GANG STARR WHO CAME BEFORE ME – WE ALL KNOW EACH OTHER… MOSTLY, I WILL CHERISH EVERYTHING WE CREATED TOGETHER AS GANG STARR, FOREVER. I’M GONNA MISS HEARING HIS SIGNATURE MONOTONE VOICE WHEN HE WALKS IN THE ROOM, BUT THE SONGS WILL ALWAYS BRING IT BACK TO ME….HIS RHYME FLOWS WERE INSANE, AND I WILL NEVER REMOVE HIM FROM MY HEART AND SOUL…….REST IN PEACE TO THE MAN WHO FELT “SATISFACTION FROM THE STREET CROWD REACTION” … I LOVE YOU GOO…….DJ PREMIER"

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
One love to GURU.

In retrospect, I have a lot of respect for GURU because until his dying day well into his 40s he was all about his music and making something new and pushing that bar higher.

People gotta understand that EVERYBODY in the world familiar with True School hip hop was asking GURU to hook back up with Premier but he chose to go his own path and continue to make music he wanted to do.

I also respect the way he handled his health condition. Most public figures would've ran straight to the press and did a reality show about it but he chose to go out with dignity on his feet.

I can't see how anybody wouldn't consider GURU a legend within hip hop. He was the lone MC on 6 stellar albums. In the most competitive era of hip hop, he was right there doing his thing. Dozens of classic verses.

As far as Solar, he's made a lot of enemies in high places with this situation. If I were him, I would relocate down South for a couple years. If he stays in or around NYC, nothing good will come of it.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Guru's sister Patricia wrote this (coutesy of djpremierblog.com):

http://www.djpremierblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/guru-trib.jpg

"

The Elam family wishes to thank the fans of our son/brother/father uncle/nephew/cousin Keith aka GURU for the outpouring of love, concern and support.
Our hearts are broken by the loss of someone we loved so much. GURU was devoted to his young son, who will most keenly feel his absence.

GURU suffered from multiple myeloma for over a year. Accrued complications from this illness led to respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. As a result, GURU was in a coma from mid February until his death and never regained consciousness. Early on the morning of April 19th, he became hypertensive due to low blood pressure. He again went into cardiac arrest and slipped away from us.

GURU died far too young but he was, and we are, proud of all his many legendary musical contributions.

The family is not aware of any foundations established by GURU. We know and understand that countless fans want to express their condolences and love and, to that end, we are planning a memorial event in the near future that will be all-inclusive. Please look for further details from the family as they become available.

from The Elam Family"

So basically Guru was unconscious the whole time, meaning he probably didn't write the infamous letter.