Rick Ross needs to A&R Nas' next album

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Ross's beat selection is why he's killin it right now....

FanRan

co sign this. I don't understand why nas has trouble with this, considering illmatic was pretty much a production classic. I always thought he should just make a CD with one producer like on some gangstarr shit. Maybe do a whole joint with preemo, next time a whole joint with alchemist and maybe a whole joint with pete rock. That would be hard. If he did that, problem solved.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
co sign this. I don't understand why nas has trouble with this, considering illmatic was pretty much a production classic.

Thats because he didnt choose the beats, they were selected for him. 19 and first album, besides writing NaS really didnt have creative control on illmatic.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Nas needs to link up with Large Pro and Q-tip again.

And can someone explain how Ross beats are so great? I'm not trying to be a dick, but I give them a fair share of listening and I can't tell the difference. Well, until the hook comes in, then I know which song because he repeats it for 8 bars. lol

Muszolini

I like beats.
Battle Points: 76
Nas needs to link up with Large Pro and Q-tip again.

And can someone explain how Ross beats are so great? I'm not trying to be a dick, but I give them a fair share of listening and I can't tell the difference. Well, until the hook comes in, then I know which song because he repeats it for 8 bars. lol

J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League have been giving ross the special treatments.

Nas needs to stay away from these iphone rappers

edit: matter fact i think Meek Mills and Nas would be a nice transparencies

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i didn't start the thread meaning that Ross has the dopest beats ever, i just think....again, concentrate on the word "I", that Ross can pick better beats than Nas can. Nas' first album was the shit, but like Oz said, Nas didn't pick those beats. Not saying that he has too though. that's the job of an a&r, which is why i said, he needs to get ross to pick his beats. he sounded better on that track (to me), than he sounds on most of his own shit.

now that that's out of the way, let me just say that the way Stress feel about Justice League beats, "I" feel the same way about Preemo beats. and i'm an older cat that was around when gangstarr was poppin. "I" just never liked them. DWYCK was my shit though! but, this is hip hop, to each his/her own. i think that we're all agreeing that Nas needs some help on his beat selection though....carry on.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
dirty south head?

outkast, scarface, ugk...yes. waka flocka, gucci mane, d4l...no. i don't listen to a lot of the new stuff out. grew up listening to old school westcoast (ice cube, nwa, mack 10, too short, etc.) also listened to the hit/def squad stuff, ll, run dmc, heavy d..stuff like that.

just was never a fan of gangstarr. i think it had more to do with guru's monotone style. premier has some nice stuff, just never saw what all the hype was about. i have another "hip hop confession," but i'll probably get kicked off the forum, and get my hip hop pass revoked, so i'm going to keep that one to myself. LOL.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
just was never a fan of gangstarr. i think it had more to do with guru's monotone style. premier has some nice stuff, just never saw what all the hype was about. i have another "hip hop confession," but i'll probably get kicked off the forum, and get my hip hop pass revoked, so i'm going to keep that one to myself. LOL.

say it man. Its all good. I always thought Guru was overhyped. Premo is not. lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
outkast, scarface, ugk...yes. waka flocka, gucci mane, d4l...no. i don't listen to a lot of the new stuff out. grew up listening to old school westcoast (ice cube, nwa, mack 10, too short, etc.) also listened to the hit/def squad stuff, ll, run dmc, heavy d..stuff like that.

just was never a fan of gangstarr. i think it had more to do with guru's monotone style. premier has some nice stuff, just never saw what all the hype was about.

That explains it...

i have another "hip hop confession," but i'll probably get kicked off the forum, and get my hip hop pass revoked, so i'm going to keep that one to myself. LOL.

Sh!t I'm surprised everybody let the Premo statement slide...lol. It's a new day here at ill but there was a time that you may have gotten your hip hop pass revoked...hahaha.

But seriously, GangStarr did their damage, I wasn't a huge fan of Guru either but what you didn't like about him is one of the things that made him special (the monotone voice), BUT Premo, now thats a different story. Premo was and still is the sound of old school, east coast hip hop to it's finest. Producers like 9th and Pete Rock are pretty much backup confirmation of how dope Premo really is.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
BUT Premo, now thats a different story. Premo was and still is the sound of old school, east coast hip hop to it's finest. Producers like 9th and Pete Rock are pretty much backup confirmation of how dope Premo really is.

i admit, premo is nice. i just think that he gets over hyped a lot. i mean, he did his thing. he took hip hop somewhere, but so did kwame and herbie lovebug and you don't hear their names thrown around at all. LOL! aight, i'm trippin with the kwame comment, but you get the point.

@Stress - i ain't ready yet. :)

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
i admit, premo is nice. i just think that he gets over hyped a lot. i mean, he did his thing. he took hip hop somewhere, but so did kwame and herbie lovebug and you don't hear their names thrown around at all. LOL! aight, i'm trippin with the kwame comment, but you get the point.

@Stress - i ain't ready yet. :)

I understand u but at the same time Preem helped evolve the Hip Hop beat. He was innovative with the sample. Not sure, but I think he was the first to take many samples and put them into one song.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Producers like 9th and Pete Rock are pretty much backup confirmation of how dope Premo really is.

9th maybe backup confirmation, but PR & CL smooth was gettin it the sametime premo and guru were. :) I may be starting another discussion that has nothing to do with the thread IMO ill take PR over premo anyday.

I understand u but at the same time Preem helped evolve the Hip Hop beat. He was innovative with the sample. Not sure, but I think he was the first to take many samples and put them into one song.

Im not sure either but I think public enemy producer Hank Schocklee may have been. But they were all during the same era so its hard to say who was the first. I do know PE was one of the first to get sued for using samples.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Guru was doing it in the mid 80's, Premo joined GangStarr in 89 (I think) and they did their first album in 90. PR and CL's debut was in 91. So I gotta give that to Premo just because he was first BUT PR had better scratching/mixing skills imo. Premo wins in the longevity department by far, he's still dropping fire today where PR has kinda sizzled down, not out but down.

Also, Sugarhill got sued by whoever mastered the track good times, Chic (the band who made the song refused to sue them).