Reddit

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I joined the /makinghiphop and /trapproduction pages a couple weeks ago, and it seems any actual question just results in a dick swinging contest. Recently, I made a beat where I used heavy 808s for the lows instead of a traditional bassline, but I was struggling to get the lows to play across all sound systems, so I tried bumping up the highs and adding some saturation and distortion to the BUS when finalizing the track (it didn't work).

So I posted a bunch of screenshots, explanations, my thought process, admitted that I felt I was going crazy with the mixing. Then I got down voted a bunch, I guess because I'm a n00b. My favorite response was from the guy who said something like "level it out." So I asked if he has any solid references, his response was along the lines of "it's music bro, use your ears." And then I noticed his latest posts/comments around justifying how/why his 808s were clipping in some track he had uploaded.

Obviously this is just one funny/annoying interaction, but it seems to be the general type of conversation on there, vs. the responses and actual help I got here when I also posted the same thing in "The Lab." Also a reminder to make sure we're not just following whatever that top post or YT video says :)

Reddit seems to be good for general branding/marketing. My YT videos have seen a lot more views by posting there. But most of the feedback is "that's fire bro, here's mine" to bump each others channels (on those communities anyways). The /FLStudio community seems a little better so maybe I'll spend more time there. If anyone knows of any other good ones, let me know!

Anyways, thought I'd share my experience on Reddit since we all know building an online presence seems to be part of the game now.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Fellow Illien @slimegreenbeats is also on Reddit and posts (or used to) in r/FLStudio and other dope Redditors for anything FL Studio are "warbeats" and "iTsGratuitous" and "thisisalbe" and "TtheSideshow" and "itsnavied"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Reddit sucks. It's not a forum as everyone thinks it is, it's just a weird form of social media.

The fact that anyone can create a subreddit and be charge is the problem right there. Sure it's useful but there's so much gatekeeping on there it's ridiculous.

Nothing beats a forum community and also how a forum is structured. Good luck searching for anything on Reddit lol. And the whole downvoting thing makes no sense because it just makes people think they're cool because they have some sort of power.

@OGBama you're a bot.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I just knew

Ogbamalikesreddit.jpg

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Reddit sucks. It's not a forum as everyone thinks it is, it's just a weird form of social media.

The fact that anyone can create a subreddit and be charge is the problem right there. Sure it's useful but there's so much gatekeeping on there it's ridiculous.

Nothing beats a forum community and also how a forum is structured. Good luck searching for anything on Reddit lol. And the whole downvoting thing makes no sense because it just makes people think they're cool because they have some sort of power.

@OGBama you're a bot.
I've only ever been anonymous on there in the past, adding "reddit" to the end of Google searches. Now being on there for a couple weeks I'm realizing I wasn't missing much.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
You @Fade can think I'm a bot all you want, but I've had pretty good assistance on Reddit, the unspoken rule is to lurk first to get a feel for the subreddits. For instance I Mod "MakingHipHop" but it's overrun by naive ass teens/twentysomething who think they can "get the bag" after making 1-2 beats for a week, month, day, year, etc.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You @Fade can think I'm a bot all you want, but I've had pretty good assistance on Reddit, the unspoken rule is to lurk first to get a feel for the subreddits. For instance I Mod "MakingHipHop" but it's overrun by naive ass teens/twentysomething who think they can "get the bag" after making 1-2 beats for a week, month, day, year, etc.
Yes, Reddit can be useful but it doesn't offer what forums can. I know a lot of people use Reddit but the only way to find stuff on there is through Google lol.

I'm a bot.
I hope not!

You moderate a subreddit about making hiphop but you have barely made any hiphop. How can you moderate information if you are unaware of if the information is valid or not?