Piano Lessons

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
alright, so i know a few guys on here know piano, like classic etc, im really into sampling, but whenever i hear a real hot composed beat, it gets me stoked on that wanting to learn the keys, i've never taken any music, aside from viola in like 5th grade but that's beside the point. I am really considering taking a music class, but I'm wondering if there's a certain type of class i should really look for. im not sure if this is a stupid question or not but any help from someone who knows their shit would have me real grateful.

lowlow

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
usually when you take a class they teach you the fundementals, like the notes, scales, chords and chord progressions. once you know these fundementals then you can branch out to any genre of music you like. if you have a private instructor you can pick up some music books from www.learntoplaymusic.com and have him give you lessons from one of the books you choose.

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
trebeatz said:
alright, so i know a few guys on here know piano, like classic etc, im really into sampling, but whenever i hear a real hot composed beat, it gets me stoked on that wanting to learn the keys, i've never taken any music, aside from viola in like 5th grade but that's beside the point. I am really considering taking a music class, but I'm wondering if there's a certain type of class i should really look for. im not sure if this is a stupid question or not but any help from someone who knows their shit would have me real grateful.

Yeah I've been getting piano lessons for about 4 weeks now and trust me man, it helps expand your key playing a whole lot.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Depends on which angle you approach it, for cats starting out their are 2 basic approaches

Learning to actually "play" the piano AND
Learning music theory and musical structure.

YOu can do one without the other. When u learn to play the piano you dont neccsarly learn how to make or compose music. 95% of piano lessions focus on tecniques and skills needed to learn how to play OTHER peoples music. Thats why their are alot of professinal pianists who cant compose shit!

On the other hand learning the structure of music prepares you for composing etcc.. THis gives you the fundemental skill set to learn composition which will help you compose better.

For cats starting out its best to learn both at the same time, most people make the mistake of taking piano lessons thinking its gonna make them dope and that aint the case at all.

Learning to play the piano is a totally differnt skill set from learning how to compose music. I can teach almost anybody to play the piano on a basic level. But composition or the magical "ear" to make up melodies etc.. is something that cant be taught, it can only be developed...

class...

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I think most of it depends on your ear for dope hiphop, but of course of you know your way around the keys it only helps because then you can compose in your head and stucture much much better

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
i dont even play keyboard. But all my beats are composed on them. I play guitar very well, so i just apply what i know about chording and scales and use it with my keyboard. Thank god for piano roll though, I can do so much more with a melody with piano roll because even if I dont play the passage how I wanted to the first time, I can go back and tweak it and make it sound perfect. Classic is right about having a magic ear though. You can be trained in piano 20 years deep and not be able to create a single bangin melody. Its all about having the "EAR" for music. This works the same with cats who sample. If you chop your samples and place them melodically, you can make a seriously hot beat rather than just looping the same sample and placing shit overtop of it. Get musical with it, but i wouldnt suggest taking expensive lessons. Just learn chording and basic scales.

Peace,
Cinci, OH.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah i was talking mostly about learning chords and shit, so do u think from a production stand point it would be more wise to just like buy instructional videos or books on music theory and cords etc?

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
if you dont have time to sit with a teacher

http://www.gopiano.com/

home learning is not a substitute but a tool. lol

MaXiMiLLioN

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
aight check it... i'm a buddin producer comin from the emcee side so i jus wanna rock over my own beats..

tried teachin my self how to read music aka books and vidz... ain't stickin n all that..

the communty center in my hood is offerin piano lessons..

i'm wondering how as a producer they would benefit me..

aka me takin the beginner piano lessons...

i copped a micron but i ain't think lessons is gon help to m uch wit that right?

how would takin these piano lesson's help me as a producer?

or am i gonna jus waste my time in respect to that?

be eazy

oNe

classic

ill o.g.
MaXiMiLLioN said:
aight check it... i'm a buddin producer comin from the emcee side so i jus wanna rock over my own beats..

tried teachin my self how to read music aka books and vidz... ain't stickin n all that..

i copped a micron but i ain't think lessons is gon help to m uch wit that right?

be eazy

oNe

Umm take the time and read the posts above, they answer your questions....

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Take the lessons. It never hurts to learn somthing new.
I play by ear but consequently I cant always go back and do the same thing twice.
It would be nice to be able to just sit down and tear the thing up.

OH does anyone have a home remedy for unsticking keyboard keys?
I spilled beer on mine years ago and the damn things still stick.
I have tried qtips and rubbing alcohol and that is only a temporary fix.
I might start a thread on this since this is a random as hell place to pose a question like that.

MaXiMiLLioN

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
classic said:
Umm take the time and read the posts above, they answer your questions....
uhMM i did thats WHY i posted.. but its cooL i'll jus wait for somebody that has THE TIME and more importanly the PATIENCe to answer me..

stay up playboy....

oNe

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
MaXiMiLLioN said:

be eazy

oNe
Like I say take them lessons. If your just starting out it wont be a waste of time.
It will help you understand music theory better possibly.
It will help you learn to understand notes and chords and suff.
In short it will make you a better producer.
Gleen what you can , its free , hell I'd do it, and I play keys all the time in my stuff.

classic

ill o.g.
MaXiMiLLioN said:
uhMM i did thats WHY i posted.. but its cooL i'll jus wait for somebody that has THE TIME and more importanly the PATIENCe to answer me..

stay up playboy....
oNe

I see your new here so ill give you a break, but nothing is more annoying then a repetitive question. Everything u asked in your post was mentioned in this entire thread. If would have read it you would see that. Also if u would have done a quick search on Piano Lessons you would see that there is PLENTY of info on this topic… It comes up very often

Just look at your question….
MaXiMiLLioN said:
oNe
And look at my response which was posted eariler in this thread…
classic said:
Depends on which angle you approach it, for cats starting out their are 2 basic approaches
Learning to actually "play" the piano AND
Learning music theory and musical structure.
YOu can do one without the other. When u learn to play the piano you dont neccsarly learn how to make or compose music. 95% of piano lessions focus on tecniques and skills needed to learn how to play OTHER peoples music. Thats why their are alot of professinal pianists who cant compose shit!
On the other hand learning the structure of music prepares you for composing etcc.. THis gives you the fundemental skill set to learn composition which will help you compose better.
For cats starting out its best to learn both at the same time, most people make the mistake of taking piano lessons thinking its gonna make them dope and that aint the case at all.
Learning to play the piano is a totally differnt skill set from learning how to compose music. I can teach almost anybody to play the piano on a basic level. But composition or the magical "ear" to make up melodies etc.. is something that cant be taught, it can only be developed...
class...

Your will see that it answers your question… so don’t get salty if I say read the above posts. Becasue the answer is obviously there...

class...

MaXiMiLLioN

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
classic said:
I see your new here so ill give you a break, but nothing is more annoying then a repetitive question. Everything u asked in your post was mentioned in this entire thread. If would have read it you would see that. Also if u would have done a quick search on Piano Lessons you would see that there is PLENTY of info on this topic… It comes up very often

Just look at your question….

And look at my response which was posted eariler in this thread…

Your will see that it answers your question… so don’t get salty if I say read the above posts. Becasue the answer is obviously there...

class...
ay playa i see YOU been here for a mad minute. so I"ma not be disrespectifull..

but uh yall old timers forget that the whole point of forums was for SOMEBODY to ask a question and for SOMEBODY else to answer it...

so if you see a question thats been asked a 1000 time's!! remember, YOU don't have to answer it..

if its a post or question thats been asked before... don't go tell them to search or that its been asked before...... JUS leave it alone and dont' answer it. IGNORE.... trust me someone somewhere WILL come along and answer it..

rest easy playboy

peace

oNe

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I understand you want to be helped, but you have to realize that piano composing and stuff similar to that has been asked many times, and Classic has responded many times. So telling you to search is the logical solution, not just answering you. If you looked around enough you would find lots of useful information here, and you probably wouldn't end up asking questions like this, that's all.

Anyway, has your question been answered? That's what this thread is about, let's move on.

members online