Music and Production

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I have been thinking about this, I notice that there is more people than ever involved in production, whether a hobbyist or a musician....I want to know that beyond personal satisfaction or to impress your friends what is it that you are seeking from making beats???? or producing I only ask this because it's becoming very novel I know kids thats 10 and 11 years old making tracks now and not bad so, with all of the competition what is your aim??? to try and gain notice at a major level and get placements??? or get your own label or artist and just do it from there your way with no outside interference on how your music needs to sound according to someone else, I know that there must be a purpose in what you do as either a hobby or money making craft...I dont look for too much analysis to answer because everyone has their own personal opinion of music and namely how hip hop music should sound I just want to hear some feedback of why you make your music.:dance:

oh here goes mine
1. For ME
2. For the artist
3. For money (LOL)

I do consider myself a beatmaker if I just make a track but if I am forced into the situation to mesh my artistry with a rapper or singer then I must say if it (the beat or track) is constructed from the ground up with that artist or specific project in mind I am a producer, I really cant produce myself (IMHO) though I write the script and find the actors to produce in my play......no one really ever says imma get me a beatmaker for my project though so I guess the term is used pretty loosely.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
im pretty new to producing, and i started just cus i loved listening to hip-hop so much that i knew i had to get involved somehow, i knew Mc wasn't for me, and I would always dig those special beats you know, so I decided i wanted to make beats. what keeps me doin it is how fun it is to start a new melody and just be bangin ur head to it while ur makin it you know, gets me hyped. i really would like to hear more MCs over my beats as well

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
i make music because i love hearing the end product and indulging in the emotions its brings along with it. when vocals are added then it even goes to another level. ill keep doing this till i die God willing. my plan is to work with the majors in a couple of years time,build up capital and create a new major.

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I like to make music that gets everyone's (including me) emotions going and something that has a message. IMO it brings out the best in people esp. for artists. Not some junk with no substance. So you could say I make music for other people, nobody in particular, just everyone, artist or not, to stir up their emotions or give them a message because these days a lot of music (not just Hip-Hop) is just plain music, I want mine to be and stand for something different. Basically, it's for me, everyone in the world, and God.

O

open mind

iam not for the money in this i do this because i like sounds n music and watching a beat growing like a baby that grows and when its adult and strong it kicks sum ass haha.its fun and therapy at the same time.i started makin beats cause i wanted to rap sum shit and i didnt had a beat and i dont wanted to use a beat that was made from another dude.

ill o.g.
I primarily make beats to express myself. I love music, I especially love soulful and emotional music, and absolutely love hip-hop. Whenever I make a beat I try to bring those three things together...sometimes I just want to have a beat I can bounce my head to, other times I want something I can think to. Being a beatmaker helps me a lot in that regard; I love the creative process itself and I (if lucky) enjoy the tracks I make. Beyond that, now that I've started I feel a constant desire to always improve...so when I listen to an old beat I've done that isn't quite up to par, it gets me going to try and make it even better, or make a new beat that tops that.

My ultimate goal is to run a small indy label and work with musicians at all levels of the creative process.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i'm in it for the love of music. i make music that i like, and if somebody else likes it, oool. if not, that's cool too. i'm in the process of starting a small indy label. got a couple artists that i work with. a couple of my artists are in another state, so i'm more like a beatmaker to them. i send them the tracks, they lay vocals and send them back. i may call them up and tell them what i'm thinking, and have them redo a track a certain way, but that's about it. i do have one artist here with me that i take a more hands on approach with, and that's when i start feeling like a producer. there's nothing like hearing the finished product in a club, getting other people's reactions, and remember all the shit that you went through to get what you're hearing. i love this shit.

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Why I Make My Music and Why I Get Motivated To

I love and want to make music because I have to. I feel it is MY responsibility as a human who is creative, hungry, passionate, and determined person to do what I decide to do for myself and others. I make beats because I want to bring something to the PEOPLE, the world, to people's ears. I want to make them bop their hand and vision the things I saw when I thought of the music or something totally different. I want and make music because I can't go without it. I have dreams about making music.

I just started doing serious beat making, I have tons of compositions just sitting on my computer, I just have not mixed them at all. Right now, I am seriously developing my skills and doing a shitload of reading and practicing. It's going well! Very well.

I also make music 'cause every since I can remember, I've been an entertainer, classclown, or provider of laughs or smiles. When I was little, I used to stand in my room or in front of our bathroom mirror and practice my GRAMMY ACCEPTANCE speech. LOL I used to pretend I was a member of my favorite group and air drum or sing along. I even used to learn the dances of my favorite groups and do them to the TV.

Money, is also a motivator. Not the material possession of money itself. But because I want to enjoy the things that I enjoy in life. I make good money now, but the things I want to do for me and my peoples requires big ends. I want the best equipment that meets my needs, I want to travel for a month on vacation from long times spent in the lab, I want my favorite cars, I will work very hard to get that and I'm one of those types of people that doesn't listen to "No, you can't do that," or "Nah, you can't be that good to make that," or "You ain't gonna be no Just Blaze or Scott Storch!" I ain't saying they got mad loot or they got everything they want, but they doing A LOT better than most of us. Anyway, says who? Who says I can't do that?

In conclusion, my main motivations is just being the changer of culture and emotion. I wanna bring the joy, the reflection, the thought, the sadness, the feelings that WE FEEL when we hear a track, composition, or sound. I want people to feel how I felt when I first heard something that moved me.

I'm sure there are other people out there who feel like me.

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
During the golden age of hip-hop, MCs used to make tracks with their producer, both of inputting ideas; this led to groups achieving a very distinct sound, like Public Enemy with the Bomb Squad, for example.

I want to bring the old school back and thus I became a producer along with an MC, so I can make rhymes that work with the beats, which work with the rhymes.

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think it was a natural progression for me to start making beats having been a dj for so many years and always around music from birth. I always loved singing and rapping and would always make songs to other peoples beats but i hated to perform in front of people as i got older. So I just started making music I love from all genres of music and i look for people with my style that can bring those compositions to life the way i would if i flowed or sang on them. So my focus was to bring the music inside of me to the world through many talented people. Now though I have had a strong desire to create my own cd so i guess my goals now would be to continue working with as many different artists as possible all over the world to get my sound out to the public but also to expose people to my own personal voice. Producing music is kind of like a relaxing thing for me same as DJing is a hobby that I happen to make money off of. I love producing folks I think i have a pretty good ear for what sounds hot. Its not really about the money for me though. Once I made enough to pay off the equipment i invested into this hobby i was cool lol. It is nice to get paid for doing something you love though lol but, its not my motivating factor. I would just as well pass my cd or ep out for little or next to nothing as long as i could recoup my manufactuing costs i would give them out for 2 bucks just to let people here my sound lol

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I originally started making beats, because I'm a rapper/song writer before anything else.

Then as i got better with this producing thing, I got more involved in techniques and what not. All the while, i've been posting tracks online, and getting feedback thats helped me ( i remember when i didnt have basslines).

As the months flew by, I learned alot, but of course, The more you know, the more dont know. like the more information i learned, i realized how much more there was to learn. Now its like an obsession, I'm equally a producer/rapper. not one more than the other. I wouldn't be mad if i was signed and recognized as either a rapper or a producer, but my goal is to do both.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
I just started makin beats for the fun of it but now I make beats to get somewhere. I really dont have any sweet opportunities at anything besides music. Its what im good at, Production, Bands, Live shit, Ill be doin it for the rest of my life even if I dont get a big name as a producer. Im makin a living off this music ish so The money is very important to me. I do several diff. kinds of music so the music is as important.

bobhellbringer

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i'm doing it for the music but the money/fame (somewhat) totally got me trying really hard to get w/ artists. atm i'm more of a beatmaker since i work online but i hope to be able to collaborate in person and develop artists like a producer soon. my 2 goals are to have: people who are popular (major or underground) asking for my beats and being able to produce an entire album w/ an artist/group.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
All i gotta say is that music runs through my veins whether i like it or not. Even more so, ART is what i do best. I create art in the visual field and the audible field with the same intensity. I enjoy creating something from nothing. I love to take a skill that ive learned on my own accord and then apply it to a new song. I feel im much more then just a musician. The relationships that my art help create are amazing as well...I would most likely never meet the people ive come in contact along the way if it werent for my music. And lastly; since this is what i do and what i care for the most - clearly my artform is what comes first and not a paycheck, however i aint no buster either and i know theres money out there for me just like everybody else so its just a matter of finding my equilibrium in this game.

STEEZ

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Loved Hip hop since 92, but I always say doing something creative helps the mind stay healthy, it provides balance to the 9 to 5 lifestyle.

I find the process of making music can give u energy to puruse other areas in ur life, but on a hip hop level when real heads feel stuff i made it feels good, that i can make a beat that will inspire a dude to rhyme from the heart.

thats dope

members online